It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartphones Could Form Chemical Detection Networks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think this is pretty interesting and would be interesting to aother ATS users.

Iphone that can detect chemicals

Link

[edit on 2-12-2009 by capgirl]

[edit on 2-12-2009 by capgirl]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
link is broke capgirl, try again
2nd line
3rd line

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

I think I got it working now =) thanks

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This looks like the link

Regular consumers won't see the devices anytime soon as smartphone accessories, but the sensors could sneak into phones down the road — and they might just save some lives.

Oh great, my phone may know how much (and what
) I smoke! - And I will have target advertising selling me nicotine gum - and once in a blue moon my very own phone will grass me up to the cops for a minor smoking related indiscretion

Mind you I does seem like a handy little device in the right context, workers could use it say if they have to work in confined spaces where gasses can build up (they do use sniffers about the size of a large mobile phone - but they only detect certain things, and they are only issued to certain roles)... If the tech is that small it could be built actually into the fireman's apparatus... I think they are gonna make money on this one easily - so long as it's reliable.

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

Wow that could be an awesome way to collect data if you combined that with GPS.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Lol I had that same thought about the smoking related indiscretion. It would probably be best to power down your phone and remove the battery while partaking in said discretion. Just in case.

This would be great for Natural Gas workers who risk exposure to H2S. One breath of that stuff in very low ppm is fatal so really it can only do so much good in detecting it. Basically if you detect the rotten egg smell physically you are done for. It would probably be effective for CO as well (hopefully). This will make a better selling point to the public.

new topics

top topics

join