It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few things.. Browsers, Start Up Speed, etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I have a Dell XPS 410, Windows XP Media Center 2005.
Intel Dual Core, 3gb Mem.

This unit is just over 4 years old. I've had a couple virus' get in it that have been cleaned out.

Last year, I started using AVG, Zonealarm, Ccleaner and Glarys. As well as an occasional Malwarebytes, Spybot scan just to be sure.

The machine has been tweaked out for optimum performance.

I've noticed over the past 2-3 months, my start up time is slower. I used to be able to get to the active desktop in just under a minute, around 55 seconds, I think.
Now, it's about 2 minutes. (not timed, but will soon).

I only have 4 items in start up : These are not exact, as I'm posting this from work, I'll update when I'm home.

Systry - system tray
Midid....
Eh.....
AVG
Zonealarm.

Thats it. I'm not sure why the start up time slowed down, unless it's just because the computer is "getting older", remember it's about 4 years old.

Once it's starts up, I can open programs, Control Panel, MY computer, almost anything very very quickly, it's lightening fast in that aspect.

Browsers... I have two.

IE7 ( I think) and FireFox.

I use FF, the wife uses IE ( I know... I've begged her to switch, but ... eh).

Once the PC is up and running, both of these browsers take a while to open, especially IE. or maybe it's just me? Seems like they take over 30-45 seconds to open up and then let you "click" or nav to a web page.

I'm not sure what would cause that?

So, just looking for thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Do you defrag your computer when needed?

I use System Mechanic to keep my computer operating smoothly. Great program. It doesn't cost much and is worth it.

Check this site daily.Giveaway of the day.

I recently downloaded a defrag program from them and it seemed to speed up my start up time.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

Yup,

I defragged a couple of weeks ago.

I try to defrag about once a month or every couple of months.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Another thing to think about is how much software has been installed and uninstalled over the course of time for the machine since its last reformat/reinstall. Over time you get random crap in the registry left behind by programs that don't uninstall properly for one reason or another, and that certainly will impact your systems performance. Although inconvenient and a pain I tend to recommend to people to reinstall their operating system every 6 to 12 months depending on how much they use the system and how often there are installs/uninstalls of software on the system.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

I don't really want to reformat, if I don't have to.

Is there a way to identify the stuff in the registry and delete it?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I believe there are some registry cleaners, however I've never used them so I can't really point you to any off the top of my head, however mrmonsoon might have a better idea.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

You can try CCleaner.

You can also try Page Defrag, to defrag the files that are part of the registry and that most programs do not defrag.

Both are free, like all tools I use.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have the same thing, with firefox 3, takes about 40-50 seconds to open and i've noticed it freezing up alot lately on me aswell.

I defrag, use norton 360 and spybot, but still happens.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Have you installed anything recently? It could just be a clash with some drivers...

See if you have any system restore points set up...

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
Click OK.

If you have any dates available I would work backwards through the dates, or if you know more or less when your problem arose choose a date just before that point. hopefully that will sort your problem out without the need to re format and re install windows

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I think I have system restore turned off. :shk:

From the last time I was fighting a virus. hmmm I'll have to check sometime.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that even if you have turned off the system restore you may still have restore points saved and available from before the data you switched off - so that could be worth a look...

Also you could run the recovery console, you need to boot off the installation disks for that one and select to 'repair your computer/installation'... Although be careful not to re-install there, easily done if you don't read all the options!

new topics

top topics

join