It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook promises better security--Really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
An Open Letter from Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg

by Mark Zuckerberg Today at 21:23
It has been a great year for making the world more open and connected. Thanks to your help, more than 350 million people around the world are using Facebook to share their lives online.

To make this possible, we have focused on giving you the tools you need to share and control your information. Starting with the very first version of Facebook five years ago, we've built tools that help you control what you share with which individuals and groups of people. Our work to improve privacy continues today.

Facebook's current privacy model revolves around "networks" — communities for your school, your company or your region. This worked well when Facebook was mostly used by students, since it made sense that a student might want to share content with their fellow students.

Over time people also asked us to add networks for companies and regions as well. Today we even have networks for some entire countries, like India and China.

However, as Facebook has grown, some of these regional networks now have millions of members and we've concluded that this is no longer the best way for you to control your privacy. Almost 50 percent of all Facebook users are members of regional networks, so this is an important issue for us. If we can build a better system, then more than 100 million people will have even more control of their information.

The plan we've come up with is to remove regional networks completely and create a simpler model for privacy control where you can set content to be available to only your friends, friends of your friends, or everyone.

We're adding something that many of you have asked for — the ability to control who sees each individual piece of content you create or upload. In addition, we'll also be fulfilling a request made by many of you to make the privacy settings page simpler by combining some settings. If you want to read more about this, we began discussing this plan back in July.

Since this update will remove regional networks and create some new settings, in the next couple of weeks we'll ask you to review and update your privacy settings. You'll see a message that will explain the changes and take you to a page where you can update your settings. When you're finished, we'll show you a confirmation page so you can make sure you chose the right settings for you. As always, once you're done you'll still be able to change your settings whenever you want.

We've worked hard to build controls that we think will be better for you, but we also understand that everyone's needs are different. We'll suggest settings for you based on your current level of privacy, but the best way for you to find the right settings is to read through all your options and customize them for yourself. I encourage you to do this and consider who you're sharing with online.

Thanks for being a part of making Facebook what it is today, and for helping to make the world more open and connected.

Mark Zuckerberg

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Fantastic, because I need to make sure my Farmville is safe.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Source
blog.facebook.com...

So I have heard all the warning about Facebook and even that it may be a CIA front....I don't know what to make of that letter

Evidently there are changes being made for the best interests of Facebook users...but when there is a call to change settings then maybe THAT is the red flag....I dunno. Or maybe this is sincerely a change that is being made so the founders don't get sued...

I'm open to comments, ideas, etc.... I do use Facebook to help promote "stuff" although it has gotten a bit "weird" lately and just when I started to question WTF is going on here, then changes are being made hmmmm

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

HA!!!!! Maybe the next step is disarming the mafias involved in mafia wars

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mkultraangel

You kiddin me?
Everything is an intel grid. They aren't the brightest folks in the world and they call us conspiracy people paranoid.

Psyche profiles from inter (NET) behavioral characteristics. In the areas of (content, frequency of visiting the content, postings, content of postings, click speed, typing speed and many other variables) help tailor the MK program for each and everyone of us...but that is just too far out there for anyone to believe so it doesnt really matter.

Ever wonder what the flicker was all about when CRT monitors were being videotaped?

Last Part:
Any who...It no longer matters.. We are all too far gone. Except for me of course.
Im kidding

... just the last part

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

"Ever wonder what the flicker was all about when CRT monitors were being videotaped? "

Can you elaborate?...sadly I can do literary analysis all day long, but know zilcho about computers... except how to "defraggle" my hard drive which when I do that usually erases stuff that I need....

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55

This comment right here really made me laugh, I think I can go to sleep easy tonight

Though I stopped using facebook months ago (then again I never did really "use" it). So I have no idea what's been going on lately.

[edit]
Needed to add that JJay55 is getting a star from me for that comment

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Gigantea Rosa]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I've had trouble with Facebook recently when it just froze for a week or so. I had a friend from Ireland coming to visit and we missed each other because of that.
I read on Media24 yesterday that increasingly companies are hiring experts to check out social networking sites to see what their staff think, and several people have been fired for their Facebook posts.
I know the "wall" is public, but what about the "between you and a friend" threads? I think they should be private (I hope so), but I'm sure somebody with the right knowledge could access them.
What's the opinion - are these threads private?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Ever wonder what the flicker was all about when CRT monitors were being videotaped?

The refresh rate of the monitor being out of sync with the camera's shutter speed?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Facebook promises better security--Really?

There's a reason I don't allow applications to run on FB!
Don't plan to change that...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Yes I have had some odd experiences lately with Facebook and to be honest I didn't even want to join, but it was a requirement for a PR/Marketing internship...since then though I have found it is a good place to promote events and do all kinds of stuff if you are a starving artist like myself..that is FREE.

I just NEVER IM people as a chat transcript can be taken out of context and copied...I don't text on my phone either for that reason...as far as personal messages go though, I would assume it is the same as e-mail?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gigantea Rosa

Originally posted by JJay55

This comment right here really made me laugh, I think I can go to sleep easy tonight

Though I stopped using facebook months ago (then again I never did really "use" it). So I have no idea what's been going on lately.

[edit]
Needed to add that JJay55 is getting a star from me for that comment

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Gigantea Rosa]

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
I joined the group "if I get a million friends I will name my new born Superman" or something like that. Poor kid with dumbasss parents who name their kid on facebook.
Oh and Miley Cyrus is having a Party in the USA this week at 10:30 or something.
Now you are caught up.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkultraangel
reply to post by halfoldman

Yes I have had some odd experiences lately with Facebook and to be honest I didn't even want to join, but it was a requirement for a PR/Marketing internship...since then though I have found it is a good place to promote events and do all kinds of stuff if you are a starving artist like myself..that is FREE.

I just NEVER IM people as a chat transcript can be taken out of context and copied...I don't text on my phone either for that reason...as far as personal messages go though, I would assume it is the same as e-mail?

Facebook is probably one of the most user friendly, non-evasive programs out there. Unlike Classmates which bugs you and makes you pay for information and groups.
Facebook is fun. You can keep up with all family and friends in one click. I like it because I always wanted to know what happened to my old friends from elementary school. I found them and it feels good.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mkultraangel

There will be many braniacs here to give you the technical explanation of why this flicker shows up when videotaped. They will call me insane of course telling you what it is for (MK Ultra and brainwashing). Some will say how I read too deeply into things using all sorts of Psychology jargon and convince me to get out and live a little. Nahhh. I'm in this world...just not of it and dont want to be.

Please do not mistake my heightened sense of awareness for mental illness and no I'm not better than you all...just tuned differently. Like I said before...I will be labeled something or the other by some folks reading this. Perfectly understandable.

However back to Facebook...Beware of facebook. I just had someone blatantly scan my files and was bold enough to show me they were doing it. No it wasnt an advertisement for security software either and yes it did happen after a low helo flyover. But then again...im labeled schizophrenic and paranoid in the eyes of the quote and quote "normy" (normal) folks also known as sheeple. Yes it is part and one of several tools of A Matrix of Control.

Any how...this is the flicker of the PC monitor I was speaking of that you and many of us stare at a majority of the day. Your TV which has the flicker as well but just tuned at another frequency and rate.. It cannot be seen by the nekkid eye and has something to do with light frequencies. (a tool in the arsenal of our) not so bright leaders.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Lets just say run when they say security. What many do not realize is that security software is a backdoor trojan for those that wish to control all aspects of the planet. Especially you.

Cant imagine what the 1% that rule are so afraid of

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

The video is labeled "Slo motion with edit..." so it simply looks like someone is splicing scenes of different newscasts/movies together in slow motion....I am confused as to what this has to do with MKUltra though, it just seems like instant replay.

And I am not here to judge you, I expect mainstream and not-so-mainstream ideas here --I am sure I can be judged as ignorant to a lot of technologies and issues that I haven't studied SO>>>>

new topics

top topics

join