It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give The Police Some Credit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I see so many threads on ATS exposing abuses of police power. We get videos and pictures of police from many western countries beating people, using tasers when it is not necessary and basically acting like bulllies. I happily contribute in these threads to denigrate the officer(s) involved. However let us also give the police some credit.

The police, generally speaking do a damn hard job very well. I am in the UK and i regularly see the police dealing with some really difficult people, people who are often drunk out of their skulls. They verbally abuse the police and the police often stand there, taking it and calmly talk the person into submission. They don't just smack them into the ground and slap the cuffs on, they try to give them every opportunity to walk away and sleep it off.

I've been stopped and randomly searched i think 5 times. Each and every time it has utterly annoyed me when i'm supposed to be in a free society so i have every reason to utterly hate the police. I'm not a skin head, i have no criminal history, actually i look incredibly geeky so i'm not sure what makes them want to search me. Still despite this happening to me i don't hate the police.

Take the police away and watch society collapse. Many people would resort to crime, and the current criminals would just get worse. The police generally just uphold the laws, sadly they are given a stupid amount of laws that infringe on the rights of people but they enforce them in the best way they can.

I just get a little tired of seeing the police demonised, many of them really are decent people who are just trying their best to make society a safer place. Whilst i will never excuse people being randomly searched on the street when they are just going about their business, at least the police apply their discretion. How many people here on ATS would want to do the job of a police officer? Dealing with people swearing at you all the time, even spitting on you? Dealing with horrible people like rapists and peadophiles and having to stay calm and not just smack them into the ground?

So come on guys, give the police some credit.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Good post and I agree with you.
Second line.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
there are good guys and bad guys in all groups. police have to much power in my opinon. i apreciate the guys out there trying to help but at the same time they enforce things that they have no right enforcing.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I give the police credit it has to be hard.Didn't they pick the profession??I thought they were paid???

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's not really the cops I am worried about, it's how much power the cops have over you, the citizen.

It's no longer about serving and protecting the tax payer, it's about neglecting and imprisoning him. And now this isn't every police officer, hell my brother is an RCMP and damn good one at that.

But we are all slaves to the system and unfortunetly law enforcement are perhaps the most blinded of us all when it comes to how things should go and what they can or cannot do while under disguise in uniform.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You're so right. I wonder: How many of the people on this board complaining about the police ever hesitate to call them when THEY need help? Bet you that there isn't one person--- black, white, whatever---who's "too afraid" of the police to call them when they're in trouble. And why aren't they afraid of the police in their moment of need? Because they know that MOST cops, the overwhelming majority are there to help them.

These guys serve and protect an ungrateful people. Yes, as you said, if they go, society collapses into a Mad Max world.

Good thoughts, thanks for the post.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If I was a bank, I'd give the police all the credit I possibly could....At 35% interest, of course.

Seriously, if police want me to give them credit, they need to clean up their own house.

How can you go about saying that most cops are good and there are a "few bad apples" when the "good" majority does NOTHING when they see one of their apples beating on a civilian for no good reason?

What tics me off when seeing all these reports of brutality, is ALMOST ALL of the dirty cops go unpunished. The ones who are punished often get off with a slap on the wrist.

I'm tired of hearing the old "you weren't there, how can you judge the cop" defence. Video doesn't lie, cops do.

The system is set up to encourage police lying on the stand and discourage DA's from pursuing purjury charges against cops.

If a cop were to be caught lying on the stand and charged, EVERY case in which he had testified in the past could be reopened and his testimony would have to be thrown out.

This could cause hundreds of old cases to be overturned. This would result in criminals walking free and innumerable lawsuits against police departments.

Also, the District Attourney, in most areas, is an elected position. If the DA convicts a cop for purjury, he would hand his opponent a political goldmine come election time. Imagine the campeign adds enumerating all of the overturned convictions and resulting lawsuits caused by the incumbant DA.

He wouldn't stand a chance...

The system is set up to discourage the weeding out of bad cops. The legal ramifications would be too great. It's better for them to give the "bad apples" a free ride, turn a blind eye to citizen abuse, and protect their bottom line.

Kinda reminds you of the Catholic bishops, doesn't it.

It all blew up in their faces, and if it continues in law enforcement, it will blow up in their faces as well.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by FortAnthem]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Personally, I think the police themselves have created the image that people see today, not so much other people.
If the police force would take the time to properly exam the individuals they are tasking with 'protecting' our people, then maybe it wouldnt be so bad. Before entering the Police Force you are required to take a physical exam, and a psyche exam, and in most places the psyche exam is worthless(I know, I have taking one).
The arguement that people use such as "hey not all cops are bad, theres just a few bad apples", has now turned into "hey not all cops are good, theres just a few good apples".
Personally, cops have NEVER been there for me when I needed them, but for some strange reason, they are always around when I dont need them(like when Im driving 40 in a 35 zone).
Cops do have a hard job, but there are MANY people out there that have hard jobs. The majority of cops can go their entire career without having to pull their weapons, a lot of times, most incidents can be defused simply by talking and flashing of a weapon.
So until the cops clean up their own, I will continue to be there to call foul.
Until they stop beating people on the street and tasering them for "resisting arrest", I will be there to throw the red flag. Cops are supposed to be there to maintain peace, not encourage violence.

Edit- I think that the police need a complete makeover with the way that they conduct buisness. Right now, it is just getting out of hand all of the BS
crimes that are happening because of the police. If they would focus their time more on going after real criminals, and not so much people with a broken tail light, they might be able to use their time more efficiently on REAL problems that we are having. Right now some white kid with baggy pants and a backwards hat is getting harrassed while some woman a block away is getting raped, or brutalized. Priorities, priorities.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishing
I give the police credit it has to be hard.Didn't they pick the profession??I thought they were paid???

Err yes they picked the profession and they are aware of the kind of persecution and indeed the social perahia they can become yet they still do it so where exactly don't they deserve credit in your eyes? This post of yours smacks of dislike for the police in general. Some police are scumbags, don't get me wrong but the majority of them are decent people, doing their best.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
It's not really the cops I am worried about, it's how much power the cops have over you, the citizen.

It's no longer about serving and protecting the tax payer, it's about neglecting and imprisoning him. And now this isn't every police officer, hell my brother is an RCMP and damn good one at that.

But we are all slaves to the system and unfortunetly law enforcement are perhaps the most blinded of us all when it comes to how things should go and what they can or cannot do while under disguise in uniform.

~Keeper

I hear what you are saying and i hope i covered most of it in my original post. There are bad people within the police service, some are racist, some are sexist, some are power hungry maniacs, but the majority are just ordinary people. whilst the standford prison experiment showed that a uniform and power can turn people into monsters it should be noted that the majority of police are not monsters and maybe we should commend them even more for not being corrupted by the power they have.

The fact that you have a fair officer within your family should say a great deal. Some are horrible but the majoirty are decent and i'm just utterly tired of the police being tarred with the same brush as these bad officers. I am sure you wouldn't want your brother to be seen in the same light as an officer that tasers an 80 year old woman who is already on the floor.

I agree that some officers seem blinded by their power, these are the typical bullies, people attracted to any position of power but they really are the minority.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
All I have seen in the last 34 years is

( got my first harrassament at 14 ....was accused of "blowing up mailboxes at 2 in the morning. I was a virgin till I was 17 Which was the first time I also stay out past midnight. I was so confused back then , they were yelling at me and threating me and I had no idea what was going on. )

the police just make things worst and all the same problems still exist. Lots of hard working honest citizes in jail.

How many of you have been in jail? Not just over night either. Being there once for being to broke to keep up on all bills , child support thought jail was approiate. Im not a sport or movie star so I had to stay there 2 weeks or so.

Jail is nothing more than Crime SchoolThats all those idiots talk about . They are not all like that , but most are and jail to them is no biggie.

A better life not focused on material gain with honest leadership is needed, not police in military gear in smalltown USA !

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
said it once,and ill say it again cops are civil servants,they work for us not us for them,and the more people act like we are to awnser to them the more they act like they are the ruler of regular every day people. If cops actually just did their jobs without looking to F with people,all might be well.. but as long as they hold the power they do the more corrupt they become...until all are corrupt with absolute power.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

You're complaining that a cop had you for driving 40 ina 35 zone? Now ok this isn't a serious crime, i have no issue with it but it is against the law and police have to apply the law so in all truth you have no standing on that issue and to complain about it is rather silly. If you don't like it then don't drive 40 in a 35.

Originally posted by Common Good
Cops do have a hard job, but there are MANY people out there that have hard jobs. The majority of cops can go their entire career without having to pull their weapons, a lot of times, most incidents can be defused simply by talking and flashing of a weapon.

So until the cops clean up their own, I will continue to be there to call foul.
Until they stop beating people on the street and tasering them for "resisting arrest", I will be there to throw the red flag. Cops are supposed to be there to maintain peace, not encourage violence.

This is the problem, you are applying a fwe youtube videos to every single cop. Do you have any clue how many arrests are made per day? Yet you happily make it sound like they are all the same, this is utterly wrong imo. I am with you and if you read my opening post you would know it when a police officer abuses their power then i'll be all over them. I don't just complain on forums either, i have written to MP's, signed petitions and even attended the odd protest. I will not however stand by as good officers are treated the same as bad ones and the general view of the police is destroyed when the majority seem to be doing their best to uphold the law and treat people fairly.

reply to post by FortAnthem

The problem that the good cop faces is that if they stand up then they are immediately removed. It is like any system, from the army to the corporate office. When it supports the organisation as a whole people often protect individuals. Now you may say that this is an excuse and that moral people would stand up. However i would ask you, what use is a good copper who stands up, gets thrown out and then can no longer be a good copper? Surely it's better for him/her to stay inside and try to change things, officer by officer.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The problem that the good cop faces is that if they stand up then they are immediately removed. It is like any system, from the army to the corporate office. When it supports the organisation as a whole people often protect individuals. Now you may say that this is an excuse and that moral people would stand up. However i would ask you, what use is a good copper who stands up, gets thrown out and then can no longer be a good copper? Surely it's better for him/her to stay inside and try to change things, officer by officer.

If the good cops are in the majority, they should be able to stand up en-masse against the corrupt few. This just doesn't happen.

There are two possible conclusions I can draw from this;

Either the good cops are really in the minority or,

The good cops just don't care. Keeping their jobs and not rocking the boat is more important than protecting the citizens they are sworn to protect.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by FortAnthem]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It takes a corageous man to stand up, this does happen but few will join him. This isn't because they are bad men, it can be because they have families to feed, rent to pay and other things. It can also be taht they think they can do more good inside the system then outside of it.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by Common Good

You're complaining that a cop had you for driving 40 ina 35 zone? Now ok this isn't a serious crime, i have no issue with it but it is against the law and police have to apply the law so in all truth you have no standing on that issue and to complain about it is rather silly. If you don't like it then don't drive 40 in a 35.

This is the problem, you are applying a fwe youtube videos to every single cop. Do you have any clue how many arrests are made per day? Yet you happily make it sound like they are all the same, this is utterly wrong imo. I am with you and if you read my opening post you would know it when a police officer abuses their power then i'll be all over them. I don't just complain on forums either, i have written to MP's, signed petitions and even attended the odd protest. I will not however stand by as good officers are treated the same as bad ones and the general view of the police is destroyed when the majority seem to be doing their best to uphold the law and treat people fairly.

--Im sorry if you didnt get the point of what I was saying, I wasnt complaining. What I was saying is that they have to prioritize better.
You have a GOOD amount of cops out there looking for people who are
speeding 5 mph over the speed limit, rather than out looking for real criminals. My issue isnt with the speed limit, it is with departments priorities.

---applying a couple you tube videos? Im sorry, but police brutality has been around A LOT longer than YouTube, and so have I. =)
Out of all of those "arrests" made everyday, how many of them are for BS crimes that do nothing but waste tax payer money on people who are going to continue to go out there as soon as they get out of jail and smoke those blunts. Priorities.

---If you are a good officer, and conduct yourself in a professional manner, than you should have nothing to worry about. The last time I checked, people werent complaining about good cops, they are complaining about the bad ones. The GOOD officers SHOULD be weeding out the bad ones in order to Protect THEMSELVES from public scrutiny.

I hope I made myself a little more clear that time.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm lucky to live in a town where most of the cops were born and raised here and it helps that I know their moms! I have tremendous respect for the majority of them and have seen them make really good judgement calls and really deal well with difficult people.

What worries me are agencies like the border patrol who deliberately hire people with no family connections to the areas they patrol or private law enforcement entities who have no connection of love for the communities in which they operate.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

It takes a corageous man to stand up, this does happen but few will join him. This isn't because they are bad men, it can be because they have families to feed, rent to pay and other things. It can also be taht they think they can do more good inside the system then outside of it.

If there ARE some good apples wishing to fight the power, they need to start knocking some heads within the department to get their brothers organized and fired up!

More cops need to speak up against police brutality. Stand up and say "that was wrong!"
Some cops will say this one on one. Someone needs to stand up, publicly, and say law enforcement needs to police it's own.

I don't see this happening much. The Unions, especially, stand up to defend even the most brutal and uncalled for abuses.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984
Wrong again!!! One uncle and two cousins are cops.Its what they get paid to do!!!My post simple says paid for!!!I give credit to the men and women in the service too.Everyones a psychologist!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well, the police hae allways HELPED and PROTECTED me personally....I have allways loved and respected them. I think the painfully nerdy such as myself will allways be noting but helped by them.

One night all of my friends got put in the drunk tank..I though I was the drunkest, but they REFUSED to put me in there with them, so I finally gave up, and asked them to at least take me to Mcdonalds to get burgers for all my friends who were in there (I felt left out, lol...the whole party except me) and they let me, then drove me home....

They allways drive me home when I flag them down on the road etc....

I have never seen a less than totally honerable one in real life, and a LOT of that was in the city too, not just in the small town.

I am in canada though, so the laws apply just as harshly to them as they do to anyone else.

Plus, they look damn hot in their uniforms, lol...I had a cops and robbers party for my birthday even , girls were the cops, boys were the robbers, so we could all get dressed up and boss each other around all night, it was great!

We even got pulled over on purpose because we wanted them to see our uniforms, lol......mabey TMI, but oh well, gotta have fun SOMETIMES!

[edit on 28-11-2009 by mellisamouse]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fishing

Actually your post stinks of hostility regardless of your ties to law enforcement. If you don't like that then fine but the hostility is there. Please invite your cousins and uncle to read your post and see what they think.

Originally posted by fishing

You give credit but seem to say that because they are paid they don't deserve the credit. Your post is difficult to make sense of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join