It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All apologies dragonsmusic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
My only point was that we shouldn't be dependent upon others for the way in which we feel about the force of words within a society. Thus, the word dumbass should have no force with you or me or anyone for that matter. Be sane not susceptible.PEACE

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Denver]

MOD EDIT : to correct spelling in thread title.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You started a thread to tell me that?

It's cool , man. No worries.

I agree we should not be dependent upon others for the way in which we feel about the force of words, but are you not listening to Hubbard's opinion about words?

I agree , be sane , not susceptible, but consider your own words here, mate.
Are you not being susceptible to Hubbard's opinion?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wouldn't a U2U have worked just as well?

2nd line

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Is science influenced by the leading paradigm of the day? It surely is.
That I can benefit from L. Ron Hubbard's work does not mean that I am also influenced by that same work. This is objectivity at its finest.

Some people because of their faith in God will not go to the doctor because in their mind God alone will Heal them. And your oppinion about being influenced in some way by L. Ron Hubbard's work will ultimately prevent its benefits educational or otherwise.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

It was the thought that nobody was going to follow that thread anymore that led me to the idea of starting a new thread advertising your name in the hope that my appology would be well received.

Case in point: nobody in their right mind would ever name their child "dumbass" right?

yeah i'd like to have my own dumbass. that is exactly what I was saying! "Oh, this language of ours which says everything it does not mean." your argument about using the word dumbass seems to be a very heavy imponderable indeed DRAGONSMUSIC. And thus our insanity over the force of words.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Denver]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Wouldn't a U2U have worked just as well?

2nd line

Wouldn't simply ignoring a thread you find pointless have worked just as well?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
You started a thread to tell me that?

It's cool , man. No worries.

I agree we should not be dependent upon others for the way in which we feel about the force of words, but are you not listening to Hubbard's opinion about words? ""Does God listen to the music of the thrash metal band SLAYER? He surely does And I quote "God listens to slayer!" I finally get it maybe is it like those three monkeys hear no evil see no evil speak no evil? But still god listens to the devil's music. This then can be considered a paradox in that this contradiction must be accepted and acted upon until either the arrival of further info from E.T. or some sort of resolution is met. "Geometrical figures are not substances but boundaries of them." EDWINN BURTTE""

I agree , be sane , not susceptible, but consider your own words here, mate.
Are you not being susceptible to Hubbard's opinion?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Denver

If you observe a system then you change a system.
You cannot read Hubbard's work and not be influenced by it.
One of my main points all along is that I don't think you see the true power behind a word. Nor does Hubbard IMHO.

The written word is powerful. Since I'm on a Shakespearean bent with you anyway I'll quote him again.
"The pen is mightier than the sword"

I think you know why he said that.

The languages and words are not sufficient to communicate all of the depth of feeling and thought within the human mindscape; and I see you might be feeling some of the frustration that comes with realizing that.
But since language is a trip for you, if you really want to trip, Denver, then look up speech reversals.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
reply to post by Denver

I have a great quote for you from Mark Twain that I am sure you will enjoy:"A powerful agent is the right word Whenever we come upon one of those intensely right words the resulting effect is spiritual as well as physical and electrically prompt." Mark Twain So again I agree
If you observe a system then you change a system.This is the Is it a particle or a wave ? I agree.
You cannot read Hubbard's work and not be influenced by it. Obviously not.
One of my main points all along is that I don't think you see the true power behind a word. Ah yes but the power is not in the word but in the human mind nor is there any power within a dollar bill the power lies within you and me set a dollar bill on fire and you tell me how much power can be generated from it Nor does Hubbard IMHO. The power is not in the word or the paper but within you and me.

The written word is powerful. Since I'm on a Shakespearean bent with you anyway I'll quote him again.
"The pen is mightier than the sword"

I think you know why he said that. My example is if you and I were to fight and you chose the pen and I the sword then the only way you could possibly win is by writing someone a personal check to take me on in the hopes that they would ultimately win against me. So I think you know why that saying is all in how you look at it.

The languages and words are not sufficient to communicate all of the depth of feeling and thought within the human mindscape; and I see you might be feeling some of the frustration that comes with realizing that.
But since language is a trip for you, if you really want to trip, Denver, then look up speech reversals.

I definitely agree with you in so far as tranformational vocabulary works often it does not because it is not getting at the source of charge. To say that the pen is mightier than the sword is really all in how you look at it now isn't it? I also agree that there should be a one to one correspondence with the words of thought and that of feeling because it seems that there is vast difference between what we know and what we feel this then is the peculiarity of the mind in that it needs some reality based on what it wants to communicate none of the other aspects of the physical universe needs that.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Denver

The power is in the word. Twain understands that; that's what he's talking about.
And the word has power because we give it power. I agree.
Money also has power, but it's for the same reasons.

Words and money are both material models.
They have power because they are constructs created by humans who give power to those constructs.

So it's not the word, but it is the word. We all make it the word.
And I wonder about what you wrote about the pen and the sword.
They only way I can beat you with a pen when you have a sword is to write a check to someone who will fight you in my stead?

Funny, man.
I don't think you get the whole pen vs sword thing.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

'Truth is a property of belief, and derivatively of sentences which express beliefs." Bertrand Russell 1879-1970

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

You're the man and I appreciate that fact. Killer trip verne! Later...

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Denver]

new topics

top topics

join