It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Tests Xbox-Based Emergency Alert System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
From the National Terror Alert System

An interesting concept is currently being tested in New York. Gamers used to confronting invading terrorists, nuclear attacks, and natural calamities, in virtual form may get a dose of reality in the middle of their game. Gamers in New York State could soon receive warnings about real emergencies through their favorite video console. My son’s reaction…”cool, could you please move out of the way”. It’s a great idea and one I’m almost certain will be implemented elsewhere.

State authorities are testing a plan that would see the Emergency Management Office issue alerts over online gaming networks in addition to regular channels.

The goal, said New York State Deputy CIO Rico Singleton, is to reach younger residents who spend more time on the Xbox, PlayStation, or Wii than with television or radio.

Singleton, speaking Thursday at the Interop technology conference in New York City, said the plan makes sense, “considering the amount of time our youth spend on video games.”

National Terror Alert System

While I am not certain how interested some kid will be in an alert when he is deep into WOW or some other game, I am also sure we all know it is not just kids playing these things anymore.

More and more the adult segment of our population is becoming engrossed in the fast paced and addictive video game. I even have some friends that use their XBox for all their Internet uses and they do not own a PC...

That means more and more of us are going to be getting the alerts and while on the surface that may sound like a good thing, I am not so convinced.

I keep remembering the story of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf"

Maybe this is too much of a good thing?

Semper

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Not sure if this would be lawful or not, But get your Xbox chipped and effectively you got a pop up blocker, It would be nice to hear microsoft's response to this as its basically piggy backing on there system.....

join