It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's the latest nightspot where all the stars go – the darkest place in UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

It

thescotsman.scotsman.com

Stargazers are expected to flock to Galloway Forest Park in their thousands following the decision by judges to make it the UK's first Dark Sky Park.

The huge wilderness area has almost as little artificial light as a photographer's dark room – a factor that helped convince the International Dark Sky Association it deserved the prestigious accolade.

Visitors to the park, which at 300 square miles is the largest of its kind in the UK, will soon be met by noticeboards announcing they are entering the UK's first Dark Sky Park, and organisers hope signs will be put up saying "Welcome s
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Agent-ATS]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I was looking at some amazing night sky photos the other day. Thinking where in the UK will I ever get to see a sky like that?

Well it looks like this is it. The new hot spot for UK Stargazers.

I can see a trip to Scotland for me soon.

Now they have this, plus loch Ness, and the knight’s templar. I’m sure it will be a great trip for any conspiracy fan or ATS’er.

Side note does anyone live near this forest? Maybe you could post some photos of the sky there.
Cheers.

thescotsman.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Not quite so far North is the Kielder Observatory
www.kielderobservatory.org...
As always in the UK, whilst there is no light pollution at Kielder, the weather brings its own challenges!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I saw this on tv this morning. I guess the problem with anything like this in Scotland, is getting a clear night to view the sky.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I have been lucky enough to be in the south pacific lights out on a sail yacht - nearest light pollution 2000 plus miles away. I cannot stress or explain how incredible our sky's are when there is no cloud, moon or light polution.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

I can only imagine it is something like this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a7f1905a775.jpg[/atsimg]

I would love to see a night sky like this.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I travel to Scotland three times a year to camp and I can confirm that the night skies there are fantastic. Scotland opens it's beautiful countryside to campers for free, it's wild camping laws are a godsend. Simple rules, don't take the piss, leave the site as you found it, don't damage the environment and you may stay where ever you choose. Great for long hikes or survival trips.

A worthy recipient of such an accolade, although lugging my telescope around the Ben's is a little awkward!

Sendran.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Wow that's great to have a place like that - I really miss when I was younger and I was up on Dartmoor all the time camping with mates, some of the places we could get to would of been about the best you could get for light pollution levels in the south west I would of thought...

Thing is no one ever thought to take a telescope, or even bino's... We weren't exactly up there for star gazing! But man it's beautiful when you realise how different the clear night sky is when the only light pollution is a glow on the horizon and some of that you can even loose by ducking behind another hill...

300 sq miles? That's great!

top topics

join