It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Long and Healthy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If this thread is in the wrong forum, please move to appropriate.
This is an article I recently read in National Geographic. It is a little dated, but anyhow, this gentleman travels into what he considers "Longevity Blue Zones" across the planet to study the lives of people who live longer than anyone else on the planet.

This article is just one snippet of the whole picture.

adventure.nationalgeographic.com...

Perhaps it’s too predictable: Experts find the world’s longest-living people in a remote mountain village on a tiny island in an exotic sea. They party hard, work into their hundreds, and still have sex into their 90s. But then the twist: Their secret isn’t red wine or yogurt or young lovers. The key ingredient to living and loving longer, it seems, is growing right in their gardens.

So, what is growing in their gardens? Herbs like purple sage. These people show absolutely no signs of dementia. Compared to Americans, they show about half the cases of cancer and heart disease. They consume a lot of diuretics.
Many of the herbs that these people use are difficult to grow outside of the region. Dandelion root tea is a comparable herb that grows which will produce similar effects. Also, green tea.
The rest of their diet consists of leafy greens, beans and potatoes.

In Okinawa Japan, people live healthy and long. They eat three things regularly Seaweed, Fish and Rice.

And what was discovered not too long ago was that in 9 out of 10 of these types of cultures have one dietary product in common. Goat's milk.

I'm not going to claim that this list will cure cancer, but I promise you that you will live a much healthier life if you ween yourself off of artificial preservatives, corn syrup and copious amounts of sugar and move towards a diet rich in the following.
Diuretics like tea consumed daily, leafy greens, beans, potatoes, rice, fish, seaweed and goat's milk/cheese.

I've seen several of these studies published recently and it is becoming too much of a coincidence for me to overlook.

Food for thought.

(considers longevity of life to be a scientific pursuit, even if not technological)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It figures that with all of the billions of dollars the world spends trying to make us live longer, the real answer to our problem is so simple.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hereno

I'm not to presume to say that this is the answer to all of our problems. However, I do believe that this simple diet change will decrease your risk of heart disease 100 fold. I also disagree with those who say that cancer cannot be prevented with diet.
A diet high in diuretics such as green tea should significantly decrease your chances of cancer because it is forcing your body to urinate more frequently, removing toxicity from the cells of your body more frequently.

No dementia comes from the lowered blood pressure that a diuretic rich diet affords.

More fish, less red meat.
More rice.
More seaweed (most people never eat this)
Goats milk (ditto)

We should all understand the benefits of leafy greens, potatoes and beans.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It would be nice to live longer and healthier, but when time is just perspective, it does not bother me. I would rather be happy my 60-90 years of my life eating cupcakes and candy than eating that diet up until those ages.

Still, some people think otherwise and that is good information. If an opportunity presents itself where I do not mind either choice, I will choose the healthier one of course.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Of course your health is always your choice.
Thanks for the contribution.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Well of course not the answer to every single problem regarding health or anything, but these very natural things seem to be doing a lot more for us than anything new developing right now. Of course, science has helped us in the past and will probably help us in the future. I just find it interesting that we use so many resources to try and create or change things to make life longer, when we could devote 1/10th of the resources and find things like this and achieve these results.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
I would rather be happy my 60-90 years of my life eating cupcakes and candy than eating that diet up until those ages.

Why? My fruit taste just as good, if not better, then any cookie, cake or candy. Fruit and vegetables are far tastier then any cooked food, the only reason you think so called cupcakes and candy are better is due to brainwashing and addiction. Once you break these addictions you'll wonder why you ever even liked that crap.

@op sugar is good, refined sugar is bad. It would be nice if you made that clarification

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

Well sure, but even nonrefined sugar is bad if you take in too much of it. And taking in too much is very easy to do.
A single slice of wonderbread contains all the sugar you should require in a single day, unless I'm mistaken.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I agree with rawhemp. I have tried every diet but the most that resonates with me is the hunza raw food diet. It seems to be the most awakening way of eating and the most wisdom comes forth in me. It also makes you look younger.

If anything the true way to go is nature for me.

A garden in itself can be the single most healing thing for a person just beign in one.

If you ever get the chance read books such as the "ringing cedars" and "blatant raw foodist propagada"

I do believe what you put in your body can help with shifting conciousness. Based on experience. I never would of known this had i not experienced to eat this way from my garden. Probably why alot of gurus only eat from nature. And many sages who went out into the wilderness, who had more wisdom once returning to civilization.

Another thing as a city girl eating this way i feel more affiliation with nature. I yearn what my childhood experienced. Its like opening up a whole new world but one that you knew about in your soul. I see nature not just as a picture painting anymore but that im one with it. You feel like you can make your own heaven on earth. Its the only way i can explain it. It reaffirms that earth when you open your mind and heart long enough to see it can be like heaven.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I will post a a video of a woman who is 71 yrs old and is a raw foodist. She is becoming very popular now on tv because she entered herself into the Peta competition.
She stresses that she is raw food vegan even though they think shes vegetarian.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
eat more meat, cant get protien anywhere else, and you need ti to live.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
eat more meat, cant get protien anywhere else, and you need ti to live.

LOL im laughing at your answer because i think you just want to curl my buttons hehe.

Most of your favourite celebrities are vegetarian and vegan look them up. Most people who have to keep up appearances are either vegetarian or vegan and most that work on tv because it is a beauty secret too.

We dont need as much protein as the government teaches us its pure brainwashing and it helps out the meat industries.

Monkeys, gorillas, elephants, cows are amongst the strongest animals they get their protein from greens(grass). The same way humans can.

The third video is probably what they dont want to show you. Eating raw vegetables can make your bones rubbery and flexible and it helps with bending your body. Which is probably why alot of raw foodists are extreme with yoga. They could probably cut down the years of training by half if they consumed more raw.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This diet is also key for good mental health. How many in this world popping psychoactive drugs would need them if they had a solid & consistent diet? I'd bet not many at all. Just watch "supersize me", notice how after several days he started getting down and depressed. The biggest problem is people just don't want to help themselves. In their minds it is far easier to sit on a sofa, watch TV, eat fast food and pop prozac than eat well, get exercise and be happy..

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Putting together super foods as the only food you eat obviously can't hurt... and only help.

But we all have also seen the vids of some of the oldest people in the world and more than once I have heard a person over 105 0r 110 when asked about diet say things like I have a cigarette or two and enjoy a glass of whiskey and eat pork feet for breakfast...

The key is moderation.

The truth is a scarce diet period will keep you alive decades longer.

It's not smoking 2 cigs or 3 a day but rather 30-60 that kills you...

Likewise how bad is sugar or meat if you don't gorge on it?

If you haven't eaten scrap but green tea all day and want to enjoy a burger and your intestines are clear and your not blocked so it doesn't sit and rot you will be just fine, live a damn long life...

Portion and frequency is everything.

The 2 big commonalities I see among those living so long so healthy.

Is simply not eating allot

and

Less stress...

Japans diet includes Fish and Seaweed and yeah.... Fish ios Great for you better than red meat and seaweed is very good for you too.

But more important is the portion, they are very small...

You mention Goats Milk... My guess is overall it's better than cows milk for you, but again when your drinking goats Milk your a person who chills out and raises Goats most likely, that's a heck of allot less stress than I have daily that's for sure...

I really think that the diet itself is not nearly as important as STRESS and GLUTTONY

I'd go toe to toe in regards to my longevity and results with the woman above at her age... and I'd do it still enjoying a few smokes a week an occasional going out for a few drinks a nice fillet Mignon once a week.

Because... she eats the exact same breakfast I do.... I big glass off Green juice... I down a Bottle of Odwalla for breakfast too...

my body isn't jammed at all times, when I do have a real meal, I don't think it matters it won't harm me...

Lets face it... what we do in America is...

Bacon and eggs and coffee and starches like potatoes first thing, then a big fatty fast food lunch while working under high stress... and then a Giant dinner Of Meat and Starch before bedtime...

We just are gluttons... you haven't digested bacon from the AM before you down a burger at lunch it sits there and becomes awful for you and remains undigested in your intestines and blocks you up and ferments and....on and on...

It's disgusting actually

And add a stressful life which makes you eat more... yeah your gonna die...

But serious moderation is the real answer, we look through all these diets then spend to eat only Olive Oil and Garlic and Veggies etc, etc (insert super food of choice here) but it's meaningless if you eat too much...

The woman above... no comments from me on choices, they are good choices... But she could have a nice steak occasionally or whatever and have the same condition , you just don't do it all day all the time...

A doughnut won't kill you if you if you have it once in a blue moon... buy a dozen and live off it for a couple of days yeah the sugar is going to screw you up.

Don't get me wrong Healthy foods and veggies are healthy foods and veggies.... they are healthy... period. But, what we really need to do is Consume less period...

Then, you can let yourself live sometimes, just don't be an animal about it.

Again not arguing anyone's point on any food... or benefits, I eat medicinally too... I keep multiple packs of hundreds of Green and Black tea and aside from water it is my main beverage... I eat meat often top of the line lowest fat best cuts in small portions... I just don't have sausage for breakfast Also...and if I like or need in my case meat for my protein I'll do fish the next night and maybe not eat ANYTHING but my Tea and odwalla the next day...

Meat goes with red wine or a glass of water and apple cider vinegar... as stated by Jay, a Diuretic, and it cuts the heck out of the fat before I absorb it... Marination properly with vinegar also corrects any or most negatives associated with Meat...

But really our Cancer and Heart disease in this Nation, it's about Gluttony.... if for moral reasons you don't like Meat or really do prefer fruit to chocolate... That's great... I mean it's righteous even in regards to Animals...

But purely from a longevity standpoint... It's the lack of gluttony that plays the biggest role in that kind of aging

[edit on 16-11-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

Thank you for posting these videos. Personally, I'd always assumed that being a vegetarian was something that PETA members did, or college freshman girls who were trying to be "hip" and "artsy" and whatnot; and that it was really unhealthy because of a lack of protein in the diet.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Mopus it is true that to eat less often can lengthen your life.

But those people who you say lived a very long life eating not much food but having the occasional addictions met. Did they have good quality of life, did they still suffer immobilities such as arthritis or bed ridden most of the day, did they still have extreme ageing, age spots, osteoporosis things associated with ageing caused by lifelong of wrong foods.

What i see in most longevity reports is that those who ate more natural foods were more mobile then their long lived cousins who still have occassional guilt.

Such as the woman above. I do not feel sorry for her for not eating meat as to me meat is brainwashing. As she is a picture worth a thousand words and is not immobile like most woman her age. I see she has kept all her teeth but i dont they are fake as shes been eating healthy since 30yrsold. She is not hunching from osteoporosis(dairy brainwashing), she looks lively and from what i can see she can move her face and nose when she speaks. No age spots that i can see but who knows with the lighting and makeup on tv. Has a body of a 30-40yrold. Its things that i just cant look past. If she was a cooked food vegan rather then a live food vegan then i would question whether she will live long enough.

There are raw foodists who eat raw meat but i dont like to touch upon that subject as there is no long term studies on their way of eating.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Markus at 45yrs old you can see how his body regenerated in this video.

This woman is also reaching her 70's and is a raw foodist:
www.annettelarkins.com...

50 yrold raw foodist

If you google you can find many of them.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

My Grandpa made it to 97, his Sisters 102 and 103 respectively.

At 97 he was walking, not arthritic lucid with no signs of dementia... He died quietly in his sleep, never a major disease.

And he would enjoy his Thanksgiving and he would go out for Chinese food sometimes and even had an occasional Cigar...

The thing is Mostly... he just didn't eat much...

Some days he would be fine with a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a Bowl of Ice cream for dinner...literally no bs, the guy would often enjoy ice cream for dinner, crap sugar ice cream...

But he didn't eat much and 97 and healthy is fantastic...

What we lack... DIETS period... No culture...

I could analyze breakfast tea and toast or green juice or Bacon...

But the thing is all of it is a diet, if you have 2 simple slices of Bacon in the am and don't add potatoes and eggs and mil and ketchup...you could do probably nearly as well in terms of longevity... (obviously i'm being extreme with bacon it's pure crap) I'd rather have the juice.

But the people who hit 110 and drink whiskey or eat pork...they just don't do allot...

MY days food today

A bowl of Cereal about 8 hrs ago,

green tea and juice... through the day

NOW...i'm cooking a pan of Shrimp, mixed with fresh spinach sauteed in Olive Oil, Garlic Powder and Tumeric and Black Pepper...

So i'm not vegan... but look at that, I know how to cook healthy, I'm not over eating and I like shrimp...

I'm not arguing against Veganism or vegetarianism... All i'm saying is the REAL reason is they are on a DIET period... They have Regularity, they are not over consuming...

These are the only commonalities between the diets the world over... that these peoples are ON DIETS period...

I certainly would never say this ladies Diet is Bad... I'm just saying that the Diet itself and what it contains is a much smaller aspect of her health than the fact that she has a Diet at all and doesn't over do things.

It's not a crusade for Meat... Or Sugar, I just genuinely seen that you can enjoy so long as you don't over do it and get the exact same results.

We have NO Culture and therefore we don't have diets our body's never know what to expect it's shock and overeating...

I'd never argue a persons morals... I think a person who is Vegan has a really good heart...

But what i'm saying is that's the REAL reason and it's promotion of an agenda and the truth is My gramps did the same thing with ice cream and fruit loops... he just ate very little and was on a proper routine...

Take my dinner, i'm very health conscious...

Shrimp and Spinach with disease fighting herbs and spices...

Another person might want Shrimp... and use Garlic powder made with vegetable oil and fry it in something that's... not Olive oil... then serve it with potatoes, use a sweet sugary sauce on it... add a vegetable thinking that it will help, serve it with bread and butter and have Pie 15 minutes later...

That's the problem ...the real problem... 3 kids of sugars in one meal, meat, dairy, vegetables, multiple oils, fruit, carbs in volume...

All in one meal...

You can't separate and digest that and most people eat like that daily...

Unless it's a special occasion or holiday... I almost never mix more than 2 food types in one sitting...

It's not that a Steak will kill you or be un digestable... a Steak with a whole Potato and Butter and a vegetable with a Glass of Milk and a Biscuit ... that will totally give you diabetes and heart disease and Cancer...

I just like to be really honest, and the truth is, Any actual diet will do... be regular and don't mix tons of foods and keep your meals healthy...have some class and culture...COOK stuff, prepare things even if your juicing and vegan... Juice make a nice mix... and you'll be healthy for life and not suffer from lifestyle diseases...

Promotion of such specific diets... it's just not for everyone, not possible for many people... and it's agenda based...

The truth if you tell people... as I said, have some class, eat good, don't live like a jack ass, That people can follow, it's realistic...

Tell people the truth, yeah you can have a steak, just ditch the gallon of BBQ sauce the pie and the Milk lol... and more people would really try...

I'm sorry, but the problem with promoting a specific diet is it turns most people off and they just keep doing the same thing and then...die young, I want people to know.... the reality is nothings that bad if your not a disgusting pig about it...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
And don't get me wrong btw... or anyone else reading this...

If you really don't have the patience to follow nutrition... and don't desire knowledge and study or don't know how to cook right etc etc...

Yeah... I mean not dissing it... Go Raw Foods, it works... it obviously works...

But knowledge and a Diet period can get just as good results... Those are vids of people promoting things best of the best on raw foods giving testimonials...

This is me turning 40 this year... On a diet that draws allot from Atkins

That's me... turning 40 on Atkins, I eat Meat... I look and feel fantastic...

And i'll agree, if you lack the knowledge, it's in a way harder... than simply going Raw Foods, Raw foods is easier to do right by yourself by, there's nothing really to screw it up... Meat done wrong or mixed with wrong things... can be bad... Broccoli isn't quite a trouble to prepare or cope with right...

So by all means... Go RAW if you dig it, i'm just saying it's not the only Diet... it's having a diet period that works...

and...

Only difference between me and the guy in the vid is I haven't dyed my hair blond and grew it our for an infomercial but we are very close in age and I use a very different diet.... both obviously work...

In any event

Kudos to all in these threads today for at least caring about diet, your a light year ahead of the rest in any event

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
And don't get me wrong btw... or anyone else reading this...

If you really don't have the patience to follow nutrition... and don't desire knowledge and study or don't know how to cook right etc etc...

Yeah... I mean not dissing it... Go Raw Foods, it works... it obviously works...

But knowledge and a Diet period can get just as good results... Those are vids of people promoting things best of the best on raw foods giving testimonials...

This is me turning 40 this year... On a diet that draws allot from Atkins

That's me... turning 40 on Atkins, I eat Meat... I look and feel fantastic...

And i'll agree, if you lack the knowledge, it's in a way harder... than simply going Raw Foods, Raw foods is easier to do right by yourself by, there's nothing really to screw it up... Meat done wrong or mixed with wrong things... can be bad... Broccoli isn't quite a trouble to prepare or cope with right...

So by all means... Go RAW if you dig it, i'm just saying it's not the only Diet... it's having a diet period that works...

and...

Only difference between me and the guy in the vid is I haven't dyed my hair blond and grew it our for an infomercial but we are very close in age and I use a very different diet.... both obviously work...

In any event

Kudos to all in these threads today for at least caring about diet, your a light year ahead of the rest in any event

Thanks your quite cute for your age and i can understand alot where you are coming from. I was like that too i went from junk food eating to healthy eating to what i call an upgrade of mind body and spirit.

Anyhow i agree alot with what you say. I say most things come from experience. If someone was to experience raw food for atleast a month to 3 months and then if they dont like it, dont have support cannot handle it by all means they can go about the way they were. Atleast they come out of it healthier. Humans trully do eat anything they want so i dont think experiencing raw food for a week or month or anything will upset the balance.

Another thing raw food is still relatively a new scene for those not in the know. We have not got any proper data as of yet of those who are into raw foods living long. The woman who advocated the raw food lifestyle(is not really a diet but a lifestyle based on what out primitive ancestors ate) Dr Ann Wigmore lived well into her 70's died in a house fire. People were counting on her to see how long she will live. Those who have been long into raw foods now are not old enough yet for us to know if they are living longer. So the only people we can correlate with are the hunzas who do eat mostly raw.

Most raw foodists are not even 100% raw some are 50% raw and the rest cooked and they take on the notion you have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join