It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people keep using the Bible as way of proving or disproving the existence of God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The title says it all. The Bible was written by some old men a long time ago.

Theres too many people using the Bible to try and disprove/prove God.

I beleive in a creator for my own reasons, but not because of some old words that were written down on paper.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have found many atheists who also use the bible and such for their arguments, and will even go so far as demand that it be accepted as "evidence".

What they fail to realize is that when they do that, then they are accepting the bible as being the authority on "god", and thus they are actually no different than the religious. Because they have allowed the bible to define god for them.

I do like the bible though, and it does express alot of deep things that the religions themselves have no clue of. But it's not true because the bible says it, the bible just happens to say something that is true.

I also think that if you understand the bible, then it will become clear it contains both "sides", good and evil.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie21m

Psalms 40:7
Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Isaiah 30:8
Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it ina book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever:

Jeremiah 36:2
Take thee a roll of a book, and write therein all the words that I have spoken unto thee against Israel, and against Judah, and against all the nations, from the day I spoke unto thee, from the days of Josiah, even unto this day.

Jeremiah 36:6
Therefore go you, and read in the roll, which you have written from my mouth, the words of the LORD in the ears of the people in the LORD's house upon the fasting day; and also you shall read them in the ears of all Judah that come out of their cities.

Jeremiah 36:27-29
Then the word of the LOORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying,

Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoakim the king of Judah has burned. And you shall say to Jehoiakim king of Judah, Thus says the LORD; You have burned this roll, saying, Why have you written therein, saying, The king of Babylon shall certainly come and destroy this land, and shall cause to cease from thence man and beast?

Habakkuk 2:2
And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that reads it.

Revelation 1:11
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and What you see, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatiria, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the divding asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

God gave us HIS Book, and we are to know HIS word. When we are to speak as ambassadors of Christ, we are to use HIS word, not our own. Why?

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 34:16
Seek you out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it has commanded, and his spirit it has gathered them.

Isaiah 29:11-12
And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying read this, I pray thee: and he says, I cannot, for it is sealed: and the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he says, I am not learned.

Isaiah 55:10-11
For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and returns not thither, but waters the earth, and makes it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

John 6:35-39
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life; he that comes to me shall never hunger: and he that believes on me shall never thirst. But I said unto you, That you also have seen me, and believe not.

All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And this is the Father's will which has sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again in the last day.

Read verse 40, I ran out of room.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ljib777

Lo and i say, Electrickoolaidzombietest is thy lord, worship him as such, mondays are his sabbath.
Book of Me 12:35

DO not denieth he, the one true lord Electrickoolaidzombietest, for he knoweth all and hath all powers plus lots of babes.
Book of Me 9:14

Thou art sinners, one and all who worship a god before your true God. Repent or he shall unleash his Holy Fury and Righteousness in the form of plagues upon your city.
Book of Zombiean Psalms. Psalm 7

your arguments fail in so many ways.
you believe a book is from god because it says it is?
why not the koran?
or the vedas?
or the religious book i just invented or quoted at the top of my post?

ps Im aware you probably copy and pasted that from some apologetics website. if thats true it would be nice if you had you know....said something about the verses.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It's impossible to disprove a negative - that god doesn't exist.

Although the christian god, or any of the organised religions can be debunked in the same way as what just happened on this thread before my posting. That's where you see christians quoting bible as a source, and athiests calling it unreliable and written by man. None of this is debunking someone's personal belief in god.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Very simple, because is the only book of lore and folklore that actually is written all about God and Jesus.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Bible is thousands of years old. Sometimes old men have wise advice.
This is a book that was kept from the common people. The Church executed people for translating it from Latin into the modern language of the time. How's that for a conspiracy? Knowledge is a powerful and dangerous thing. In war, if a spy is caught trying to transmit information to his side, he is executed. People who translated the Bible (sharing that knowledge) were executed by the Church. If you read the Bible it disproves many things that the Church teaches. Now very few people even read the Bible.

If a document that was thousands of years old, was hidden and recently found, that gave advice on living your life, and an alternate history, people on this site would excited to study it.

For some it provides knowledge and hope. For others, it may as well be written in Latin.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Because they lack true authority.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The Bible is the word of God. The Holy Spirit guided the apostles as they wrote their eye witness accounts. God would not have anything put into the Bible that was false. The Bible was not written by "some wise old men". It was written by men trusted to spread the life and word of Jesus so others may experience his strife and accomplishments.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie21m
The title says it all. The Bible was written by some old men a long time ago.

Theres too many people using the Bible to try and disprove/prove God.

I beleive in a creator for my own reasons, but not because of some old words that were written down on paper.

The word 'bible' means 'book'...so it is simply 'The Book'.

The Bible is not a single book.

It is a collection of approximately 66 documents written by 44 different old guys over about 3,000 years.

The remarkable thing about it is that all these old guys agree with each other.

Everyone is getting hyped about the Myans and 2012...
...but there is a prophecy in Daniel 2 that predicted the succession of world powers through to the end of the world about 2400 years in advance...
...and a detailed account in the Revelation...

(psst hint: we are now during the period of the 7th church and at the end of the 6th seal and after the 7th seal is opened the Trumpets or Judgments will begin)

You have no idea what you are missing by not understanding this book...
...I am sad for you!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fbnks
The Bible is the word of God. The Holy Spirit guided the apostles as they wrote their eye witness accounts. God would not have anything put into the Bible that was false. The Bible was not written by "some wise old men". It was written by men trusted to spread the life and word of Jesus so others may experience his strife and accomplishments.

See this is where I use the bible to disprove, not the existence of a God, but the existence of God in the Christian sense, and the fact that their bible is his infallible word that can contain no error.

First of all Paul wrote the majority of the NT and he wasn't an Apostle. Much of the remainder was written by his disciple Luke, also not an apostle. The rest, well no one knows, but what is widely accepted by scholars even those from within the faith is that the Gospels were not written by those named. So there is your "written by the apostles" argument gone

You say that nothing could be written that was false, but there are tons of things, I will limit it to one since that is all it takes to prove your assertion wrong.

In the book of Luke it is written that Mary became pregnant during the reign of Herod. Then it goes on to say that she gave birth in Bethlehem when Joseph went there for the census, when Quirinius was governor of Syria. The problem? King Herod died in 4 BCE, and Quirinius didn't become governor of Syria until 6 CE... That is just one of many screw ups.

To answer the OP, I don't know why people would use the bible to prove or disprove the existence of a God. It is silly. But when disproving Christianity, the bible is the most effective tool.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Majiq]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Because it's the only historical "evidence" there is.

Without any religious doctrines, only agnosticism could possibly prevail.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The bible does not prove anything.

If a group of member from ATS wrote a book on the exsistance of creatures with 3 testicles on their foreheads, is that proof they exsist?
No.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

EASY...

Take some time when reading this...

Ready....?

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

What scares people...is the last part...the Bible is a MIRROR to the true you...

new topics

top topics

join