It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what rifle is this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

haven`t seen this one - apparantly issued to the 1st battlion royal welsh -

SA80A3 maybe?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Looks very SA80 like. A few parts distinctive SA80 - Just different barrell, possibly with my rails for certain attachments.

Someone else more gun savvy maybe able to elaborate...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Looks like the standard rifle with upgrade rail support for addons.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

This might be it?

world.guns.ru...

[edit on 13/11/09 by Chadwickus]

CX

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Maybe these?

SA80 Picatinny Rail Foregrips

The New UK Special Forces Hand Guard for the L2 A2 SA 80. This Hand Guard has been adopted by the newly formed Special Forces Support Group (SFSG) who work hand in hand with the SAS and SBS.

CX.

[edit on 13/11/09 by CX]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
sa-80 with RAS railmounts.

as far as i can see..

[edit on 13-11-2009 by okamitengu]

*see above post, more accurate.. good work!*

[edit on 13-11-2009 by okamitengu]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Yeah dude, not that I can add anything useful, you got it, L85 with a full rail, I heard the Brits are modernising because they get a ton of complaints from afghanistan their rifles were #ty. Not meant for desert methinks

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
pretty sure from reading around its an SA80A2 modified with picatinny rails , for grip/bipod and new ACOG sight (apparantly susat is at the end of the gas life)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

the A1 was crap - but the A2 from all accounts is really very good - WHEN the mudmovers clean it - the complaints come from lazy troopers not bothering - right before the chap with 3 stripes vocally tells them there lazy ***** and clean there weapon.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Thats what I mean, modernising because the old ones were crap... hehe were lazy too because we get the beautiful HK plethora which have very advance gas systems and we dont really need to clean them

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Maybe this one, an AR-15 ..

Nah, this one has the mag. in front of the trigger..

[edit on 13/11/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Cool looking rifle to say the least.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Not to rain on anybody's parade but this is NOT a special forces hand grip or anything remotely belonging to special forces.

It is a bog standard L85A2 with Picatinny Rails and Foregrip/Bipod used mostly in Afghanistan.

As for the SFSG using the L85A2 - yeah, right!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fritz

i hear the `boys` are really impressed by the snagging ability of that foregrip on gear

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Maybe this one, an AR-15 ..

Nah, this one has the mag. in front of the trigger..

[edit on 13/11/2009 by ChemBreather]

There's a rifle in that photo? oh yeah, beside the hot chick

I'm thinkin the OP is a L85/SA80 with a quad rail and grip pod forward grip

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya

Thats what I mean, modernising because the old ones were crap... hehe were lazy too because we get the beautiful HK plethora which have very advance gas systems and we dont really need to clean them

Unlike the SA80A2 which has a gas system modernised by.....H&K

By the way, I'm one of the nasty boys with 3 stripes. I don't have to tell the boys to clean their weapons - most are disciplined enough to do that themselves. If any aren't I'd like to think that one of the boys with 2 stripes or one stripe will climb aboard them.

The new foregrip is OK. I personally prefer not using the foregrip as I've spent the last 18 years colour service plus 5 years cadet time shooting perfectly well without one, and I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to start farting about with muscle memory when I don't really need to. Some of the boys love it though. One problem that I've noticed though is that the new handguard can overheat if fired for long periods. I've got some rail covers now that I'll try out on the next tour.

The only real advantage the front grip gives me is the integral bipod which really does help with the longer range stuff, assuming that you have done a check-zero on the range to allow for the change in MPI from when you're not using it. I'm thinking about an after market bipod so that I can have a folding bipod fitted without the annoying front grip getting in the way. Then again I might just spend my money on beer instead. Time will tell...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf[/url]

Good to have you back mate.

I'd buy the beer if I were you. I think you'd enjoy it more!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just the latest attempt to turn the SA80A2 into a rifle.

I'm waiting until the Brits finally adopt the HK416 and ship semi-auto restricted SA80s to the US for us to play with.

I confess I have never fired one, but I have fired the Steyr AUG and the French FAMAS, and have only handled an SA80 - they all felt very similar, in that they were butt heavy, especially the SA80 - which was very unwieldy and rattled quite noticably, I also managed to drop the magazine by accidentally brushing the release catch against my body.

The Brits should just go back to the L1A1 with a 16 inch barrel and an Aimpoint or ACOG - I can't help but feel it would serve them better, especially in Afghanistan in spite of the heavy ammo.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
this video explains what weapons these are, and why they look different to the usual:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-11-2009 by spoonbeater]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Just the latest attempt to turn the SA80A2 into a rifle.

The SA80A2 is a decent weapon. It out performs almost any foreign in-service IW with regards to reliability. Those who run it down have probably never fired one and/or are using reports or experience or the A1, which was a bit dodgy to say the least.

I confess I have never fired one,

Thought so.

but I have fired the Steyr AUG and the French FAMAS, and have only handled an SA80 - they all felt very similar, in that they were butt heavy, especially the SA80 - which was very unwieldy and rattled quite noticably, I also managed to drop the magazine by accidentally brushing the release catch against my body.

You obviously don't like the ergonomics of bullpup rifles. Most people are either love/hate about them. The rattling you report suggests that it was an A1 you handled, as the TMH pins on some of these were a bit loose on contact with the main body, particularly the rear ones. Not really an issue now. As for the mags dropping, again this was a problem for the very early A1s that had no mag release guard. the later A1s and all A2s have a guard over the mag release, so again not a problem.

ts should just go back to the L1A1 with a 16 inch barrel and an Aimpoint or ACOG - I can't help but feel it would serve them better, especially in Afghanistan in spite of the heavy ammo.

Why would a 7.62mm weapon with a 16" barrel serve us better? We're not having any significant stopping or range issues. The A2 is doing the job very nicely, thanks very much. This is probably because we have decent length barrels on our standard issue weapons, as opposed to 14.5" ones as per the M4.

The heavy ammo is a serious issue in the environments we're dealing with. A 16" barrel on a SLR will make rapid fire difficult to control, which is potentially life threatening at close quarters such as those in the Green Zone. The SA80A2 on the other hand allows for rapid snap shooting at close range due to the short overall length, and accurate shot placement at ranges in excess of 400m when required.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join