It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Mind-reading' computer shows thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

'Mind-reading' computer shows thoughts

www.ioltechnology.co.za

London - A mind-reading machine that can produce pictures of what a person is seeing or remembering has been developed by scientists.

The device studies patterns of brainwave activity and turns them into a moving image on a computer screen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What?? I knew it was only a matter of time... it seems mind reading is the future of crime solving...
What happened to our privacy??? Soon they wil be able to "read" your mind and use those results to determine whether or not you are guilty of criminal activities? So long criminal lawyers...
Do you think this will improve our society or cause more chaos?
I'm going with chaos simply because i feel that a lot of people wil be quite unhappy to have the government read their minds!

www.ioltechnology.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If you believe metaphysical thought then each and every one of your thoughts has been recorded in a vast energy-field since the beginning of time.

I guess scientists will be catching up someday. Not yet though...they can only see colors, waves, particles...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I'd still like to get alot of my dreams recorded on my hard drive. I would definitely wear a home model during sleep. I wonder what sort of twisted stuff goes on that I don't remember.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Nice find OP. It's a shame the article didn't include any pictures of the results.

Technology is advancing so quickly, it's quite frightening!

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I think it would be interesting to see how you could control the image. It would be neat if you could draw with it.

I can see them using it in court, and you think about a nice pic of a puppy, or maybe a hand giving them a friendly gesture.

Seriously anything that measures can be fooled. It's a matter of knowing how to do it.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I can imagine there being a lot of important things that we could do with such a device, my concern is how much bad it could be used for. I suppose one good thing is that torture wouldn't be needed...

Here is another related article...

www.theadmonition.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I would buy one of these, just for the fun of controlling something with my head. It would be the Etch-a-Sketch of the future!

I don't think it will have more significance than a polygraph, when it comes to crime. You can just think about, say, the police officer's head exploding when he asks you where you were at 5 o clock. Heres a simple way to beat it: When they ask you where were you/what were you doing when... just give them an answer. And think about each letter of what you are saying, in big fonts. They can't read your mind any more than you want to let them.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
At some point, it won't even have to read your mind. If TPTB put enough faith in this technology, then even if the computer is completely wrong, they'll believe it, over the person whose mind is supposedly being read. Or, they might just program it to tell them what they want to hear, incriminating the person without any way for him to refute it.

Isn't technology wonderful?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
At some point, it won't even have to read your mind. If TPTB put enough faith in this technology, then even if the computer is completely wrong, they'll believe it, over the person whose mind is supposedly being read. Or, they might just program it to tell them what they want to hear, incriminating the person without any way for him to refute it.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Computer says no!

We're doomed...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I record my own thougths and I often make pictures of it. People pay me to do that.

Am I special now? A danger to society maybe?

In most minds there is nothing of interest to read.

I advice anyone to read "The user illusion" of Tor Norretranders . Terrific book on our consciousness and our false image of it.

If you follow his view on things the most interesting of a reading mind machine would be all the stuff it could produce we are not conscious of.

Our conscious is overrated. From the millions bites of information we get from the outside world, we only "own" a few (12 I believe) per second.

It is our unconsious that would be interesting to read.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This WILL be used in future airport scanners.

You WILL think the way TPTB want you to think,or you will be crimminalised.

Welcome to the borg.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
pretty cool;

it will only be a matter of time before they reverse the technology to play movies in our mind

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

Nothing is a one way street. If they have the ability to read your mind then they can implant thoughts (like MKULTRA). In the wrong hands it spells disaster (Manchurian Candidate). All of the scientific designs appear to try and duplicate the gifts God gave to humans. If they had the gifts they would not need to replicate, and or control the people who do.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

Usa and uk, police have had this tech for ages. If you commit a serious crime they will use this tech on you.

Like my life you never need to do anything, if someone makes it up, the scum in the police or government may use these techs on you.

They have been around ages, fact.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They really have their work cut out for them making this software work with any accuracy. Let me show you something:

Think of the following; put the image in your head:

A flying toaster

Okay, now describe in words what you thought about.

* Did the toaster you thought of have wings?
* What color was the toaster?
* Was the toaster shiny?
* Was it a two-slot, four-slot or an 8-slot toaster or something else?
* Was it not a regular toaster, but something else like a toaster oven?
* Did you think of one flying toaster or several?
* Was the toaster decorated?

The point is that everyones mind's eye sees things differently. Even memories aren't remembered with exact accuracy (putting aside the concept of photographic memory for now). How many people are prone to embellishing their visual images without even knowing it? How many people might say "My flying toaster had dragon wings and fire belched from the toaster slots" or something else far-fetched? But if that's what they thought, this computer would have to put that image together.

To make this work they are going to have to get "uncorrupted" memory from somewhere in the body and piece it together like a mosaic. The computational computing power to do that would be astounding for just one image as the possibilities would be endless. I would think you would need a supercomputer.

But then that's just my take on it.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Cool now I can finally make that Comic book I had in mind for so many years happen!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
I would buy one of these, just for the fun of controlling something with my head. It would be the Etch-a-Sketch of the future!

I don't think it will have more significance than a polygraph, when it comes to crime. You can just think about, say, the police officer's head exploding when he asks you where you were at 5 o clock. Heres a simple way to beat it: When they ask you where were you/what were you doing when... just give them an answer. And think about each letter of what you are saying, in big fonts. They can't read your mind any more than you want to let them.

Yeah, but it's like telling someone not to think about pink elephants. As soon as you mention it, an image pops into your head if only for an instant of a pink elephant. It's uncontrolable.

new topics

top topics

join