It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays must leave today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
www.jamaica-star.com...

By Dwayne Mcleod, Staff Reporter

Today has been proclaimed 'Gay Eradication Day' by residents of the McGregor Gully community in East Kingston. Residents say that they will be taking action as a two-week notice given to all gays and lesbians to flee the community has now expired.

THE STAR learnt that about two weeks ago angry residents who declared that they were fed up with seeing the activities of several gay persons in their community, ordered that they leave by today or suffer the consequences.

Some residents who admitted to THE STAR that they are a part of the "gay clearing out" scheme said that it is being done to protect their families and the community on a whole.

It's been awhile since I was in Jamaica but I don't remember seeing any homophobia anywhere on the island.

If this is article is true; even as a straight dude; I doubt if Jamaica will see any of my tourist dollars in the future.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by GAOTU789]

[edit on 31-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Not surprised one bit, my neighbours of the same nationality, shout homophobic rubbish at me all the time, and i am in london. My life had and has nothing to do with them, but they love there haressment.

So i would think that this goes on.

I am not going to get into some racist thing here as whites are just as bad.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The article was a great read, particularly the quotations -- Jamaica style.

"Yu si dem bway deh weh a walk up an dung inna dem tight pants an ah bleach out dem face, a dem enuh, nuff a dem a f .... t an a talk bout dem a danca,"

Back to the topic at hand. This happens everywhere, not that I condone it, but in the end it is of relative importance unless you feel it is a growing trend. Ignorance breeds hatred.

As a sidenote, the title is a little overdone in my opinion. An all capped hate message will attract a lot of attention I'm sure, however.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
They are preserving their culture and repelling the foreign invaders who have no respect for anyone's culture except their own.
Good for the Jamaicans. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Lesson here: Don't piss off the natives. Good rule of thumb.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Fire Starter]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I was looking round this site, and it just doesn't feel right. Is this a farce? Please tell me it's a farce, there's no logic here.

Also the pastor feels we should prepare for the end of times.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fire Starter
They are preserving their culture and repelling the foreign invaders who have no respect for anyone's culture except their own.

As far as i can gather , all parties involved are Jamaicans.

So who are the foreign invaders?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else notice that .....

The article is dated 26 April 2007 .

=============================================

After a little searching online i found that this Jamacian Suburb of McGregor Gully, is a stronghold of the ruling People's National Party (PNP).

Who were facing a General election in September of that year 2007.

So it looks to me like a party worried about re-election ......
And found a rather soft target to beat on to exhibit their party `values` .

September 02, 2007

The latest two polls have shown support for the opposition Jamaica Labour Party surging ahead of Monday's vote, in which the PNP is seeking a record fifth consecutive victory.

Portia Simpson Miller, the Caribbean nation's first female prime minister, is seeking her first election victory since taking the reins of the PNP last year after long-serving Prime Minister PJ Patterson stepped down.

link

Strange that this article is mirrored in other forums also , why has this re-surfaced now ?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
As far as i can gather , all parties involved are Jamaicans.
So who are the foreign invaders?

Google +gay +tourists +invasion

you will get THOUSANDS of hits.
They have no damn common sense to keep it in the bedroom. No, instead, they act just like children and want to play games pissing everyone else off. Now it's getting served back to them and they don't like thier own mush?

Some links from that search:
www.independent.co.uk...

www.thefreelibrary.com...(dangers+gay+travelers+face+in+overseas+places...-a055183028

www.gaytoz.com...

pinkpasty.blogspot.com...

bajan.wordpress.com...

www.melonfarmers.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fire Starter

Really? Do you think all gay people act like that? Because of opinions like that, gay people are all labeled as being fairys that dance around in the streets, and trust me, that's not true at all

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
First I'll quote myself:

you will get THOUSANDS of hits.

Now would you please quote me saying what you WISH I said or thought

Do you think all gay people act like that?
(but really didn't)

checkmate Bro.
Look, if you don't like how how the rest of your brothers are acting, take up the issue with them, not me.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I heard from a friend that some neighborhoods butcher people caught doing gay acts...
Well thats what I've heard, lame either way

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Not surprising at all, the Gay Times and other press have cautioned gay holiday makers to steer clear of Jamaice for decades. In this case it does seem to be a local issue. Although one doesn't want to generalize all black people as homophobic, here in South Africa the rape and murder of black gays and lesbians is common in black twonships. Lesbian women may face "corretive rape" or "jackrolling" - a gang rape that is supposed to make them straight. Gay men may have their genitalia burnt, or have pool sticks inserted into their rectums. But these areas are generally very violent, and plagued by crime, gang-wars, xenophobic violence and vigilante justice. Except on organized tours, tourists don't go their at all, and homosexuals have well protected "pink" enclaves in South Africa's cities. Many blacks consider homosexuality "unAfrican", a view that is supported by Western churches. Despite much anthropological evidence to the contrary, the African male has been constructed as the original, primal hyper-heterosexual - a view that actually came with colonialism and the slave trade. There is a great deal of anxiety about homosexuality, which has been abused for populist propaganda by many bloodthirsty, thieving dictators, like Robert Mugabe.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
I heard from a friend that some neighborhoods butcher people caught doing gay acts...
Well thats what I've heard, lame either way

I would not be surprised one bit.

Dangerous for many people unable to pretend to be straight.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yup, that's the reason. It's cause we are ruining Jamaican culture with our sex antics!

Nice to see there is a fair share of homophobia left in the world, apparently it has gotten a hold of you as well.

That's fine though, it is your opinion of gays and I respect it, no two apples are the same my mother always said.

In any case there is no reason for this to be occuring. I wonder what people would have said if they were driving out religious folk instead. I am sure your response would have been a lot different.

Ignorance breeds intolerance which breeds stupidity!

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Again i do not see any mention of gay tourists in the article we are discussing . They are members of the community themselves .

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks for the reminder of this "event". You probably couldn't tell, since the *cough* "reverend" has a date-updated banner at the top of their stories", however this happened in April of 2007.

Apparently the stoners (as in people with stones) and other mob members were successful in their quest to find a few gays or lesbians alone and stone/beat them. Very spotty information came out about this event.

These were not visitors "inflicting themselves" upon the island of Jamaica. They were (and presumably ARE) Jamaican citizens.

According to JFLAG, it isn't illegal to be homosexual in Jamaica. There is some legislation on that site to support that notion. This seems to be a localized action, however I can't find anything to confirm that; it simply isn't spoken about amongst Jamaicans that I know personally.

I guess that the "island of love and fellowship" that I once visited with my wife many years ago has chosen another direction, or by inaction chosen it. It was once a beautiful and peaceful, music-filled place to be.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Except for that one problem.

That homosexuality is a universal thing, it is a mental thing that can be had by anyone of any culture.

It's like people who do not clip their toenails or something you know, anyone from any nationality or culture can choose to not clip their toenails. Its just a simple choice.

So saying that a certain culture just simply doesn't do any 1 thing I would consider rather improbable because any human can choose to do something as simple as clip their toenails or kiss someone of their own sex.

What I am saying is that they could be banishing their own children and brothers/sisters by making people whom make a specific choice or believe a certain way.

This is called totalitarianism and I stand strongly against it.

What if they were banishing a religious group, or a political party. You would probably view it differently when it is put in those terms.

We need political and religious freedom on Earth, all humans do.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Fire Starter

The article was not about gay sex tourism. It was about a pogrom by Jamaicans against homosexuals in their own community.

Still, homophobia is stupid and vicious, so it's hardly surprising that someone who indulges in it had trouble comprehending a simple newspaper article. Neither is your evident approval of hate-crime.

Your post is an insult to the man whose image you are using as your avatar. Keith Flint is no homophobe:

(Gay icon Simon Hobart)... launched Popstarz which in time became the largest gay club night in London with thousands of regular revellers. It also attracted scores of big name stars including Mick Jagger, Brian Molko, Keith Flint and Little Britain star Matt Lucas. Source

And for your information, he isn't American either. That's just a shirt he wears on stage.

top topics

join