It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study says violence against women on tv rising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yahoo Article

Incidents of violence against women on mainstream U.S. television has increased by 120 percent in the past five years, with the depiction of teen girls as victims rising by some 400 percent, the Parents Television Council said in a report on Wednesday.

The media watchdog said it was particularly disturbed by the use of violence against women in comedies and said it hoped TV networks and advertisers would stand up against the trend.

I just saw this on yahoo not too long ago. When I watch TV I guess I do see it but dont really notice it on the rise or anything. I mostly see it on shows like this.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The solution is so simple... it's almost SCARY!!!

Turn off the TV.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
the people at Parents Television Council have NO Sense of Humor....

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
(ignoring comedies for now)

i think the fact that its teenage girls as the victims of violence plays on the fears of adults quite a bit.

in comedies its probably just the fact that people love laughing at horrible and/or over-the-top things. in comedy nothing is sacred. etc

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It's easy to say "oh just turn your T.V off", but the people who would be smart enough to do that would be people not effected by what TV dictates anyway.

The truth is that life follows art. What we show on TV, people subconsciously see as real (the scenarios, emotions, reactions), and people will subconsciously recall what they saw on TV in a relevant situation to determine what they will do next.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

oh, c'mon, get real...it's halloween and all kinds of slasher movies are on...does that influence anyone to become a slasher...I swear, sometimes some sheeple will justify anything.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hasn't all aspects of violence increased? Is there stats that compare this to violence against women?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
reply to post by buni11687

The solution is so simple... it's almost SCARY!!!

Turn off the TV.

Yea i do feel better after not watching tv for a while.

join