It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Calculate Number of Parallel Universes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Before you read this please be sure to ingest a few grains of salt

Over the past few decades, the idea that our universe could be one of many alternate universes within a giant multiverse has grown from a sci-fi fantasy into a legitimate theoretical possibility. Several theories of physics and astronomy have hypothesized the existence of a multiverse made of many parallel universes. One obvious question that arises, then, is exactly how many of these parallel universes might there be.

In a new study, Stanford physicists Andrei Linde and Vitaly Vanchurin have calculated the number of all possible universes, coming up with an answer of 10^10^16. If that number sounds large, the scientists explain that it would have been even more humongous, except that we observers are limited in our ability to distinguish more universes; otherwise, there could be as many as 10^10^10^7 universes.

To work these numbers out, Linde and Vanchurin looked back to the time shortly after the Big Bang, which they view as a quantum process that generated lots of quantum fluctuations. Then during the period of inflation, the universe grew rapidly and these quantum fluctuations were "frozen" into classical perturbations in distinct regions. Today, each of these regions could be a different universe, having its own distinct laws of low energy physics.

www.physorg.com...

being that we don't even know that there truley are parallel universes this seems a bit brash.

However, if they are right the numbers are sheerly staggering IMO. While not an infinite number its still incredibly large.

When we analyze the probability of the existence of a universe of a given type, we should be talking about a consistent pair: the universe and an observer who makes the rest of the universe 'alive' and the wave function of the rest of the universe time-dependent," the scientists write.

The measurement problem just got a whole lot more problematic. . . . will the insanity ever end

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Sure, it's a staggering number, but it's not even close to some of the unbelievable notions mathematicians have - all of them, of course, finite. Think, for example, of how many permutations there would be of this huge number.

I can't even imagine why anyone would try to come up with a number for something that isn't known to exist in the first place. Kind of like trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (answer: all of them).

This just sounds like some bored physicists playing with numbers.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
This just sounds like some bored physicists playing with numbers.

Play often leads to epiphanies of discovery.

Them imagination is our playground, so go and have some fun in your flights of fancy.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The sad thing is that scientists are getting payed to imagine instead of coming up with real science. Where can I sign on? I don't even need a degree! Cool!

IRM

[edit on 16/10/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
There is no number for how many parallel universes there are.

It's infinite, and no amount of calculations will ever solve that equation.

Humans need to start thinking in different ways when they approach new ideas, and not use primitive out of date style of thinking.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I call dibs on multiverse #777 !!!

hands off...

...mine.

tyvm

-

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well since we are talking parallel universes, let us go over the four main types postulated to exist based on current understanding of cosmology and quantum mechanics:

Level One Universe

These exist in our own space-time and are simply an extension of our own infinite universe.This is based on the "Inflationary Theory",which states the Universe is constantly expanding on an infinite scale. Mathematical odds dictate that since the Universe is infinite in size then there MUST be infinite versions or copies of everything from particles,to planets,to stars. So yes that means infinite versions of Earth, you, and me. Obviously in each version our lives will be slightly or drastically different(if we live at all).The only thing separating us from 'them' is great distances,distances so far light from the closest one hasn't reached us yet, and won't for an insane amount of time(over the age of the Universe today at the least).

For the Universe to be infinite it has to be flat and recent test show it is,although it could be curved just so ever slightly our test can not determine the curve(I think the Universe is curved and spherical).An example of just how far the closest "spatial parallel Earth may be is at least Googleplex yards away,that is 1 with 200 zeros!*

Level Two Universe

In a level two universe our universe is simply one of a "Multi-verse", one of many "soap bubble shaped universes of infinite size". These float around in a exo-universal medium referred to by physicist as "Hyperspace"(cool I know) or "The Bulk".Within this Hyperspace bubbles(universes) interact,are created,destroyed, and spawn others out of themselves.Now here is the tricky part-within these level two universes there is an infinite number of level one universes!

These bubbles form in Hyperspace in the form of "budding of like a fractal tree of spatial expansion of hyperspace and other universes(level two).The term physicist give to this creation process is "Bubble Nucleation". Renowned theoretical physicist Michio Kaku is the headliner for this theory, along with other well respected scientist. I also believe this theory to be correct.

Level Three Universe

Formed from the strange world and equations of "M Theory" this one does not disappoint. Based on "M-Theory,which is an evolved "String Theory" "M" means membrane and states the Universe exists in 11(count um') dimensions and is "tethered to a "super membrane" of energetic matter by 6 or 7 extra,microscopic dimensions(curled up with in one dimensional strings[I know]). Our universe as well as others can be attached to a membrane or a membrane can occupy the whole of a universe.These membranes and universes float around in Hyperspace as well in M-Theory.

Universes are formed by colliding membranes,which can be as close as a few millimeters apart.That is formation of universes,not parallel universes.In this theory parallel universes are formed by Quantum Probability,meaning that for every possible outcome of a situation a alternate universe is formed(you can see how this would become near infinite).These exist in our same space,but in different dimensions of existence.

Level Four Universe

Perhaps the strangest of all these are created by quantum flux or "brains clashing",so really they could be either parallel or original.The crazy part is that they could have a totally different set of mathematics and physics,in fact in some life may take forms inconceivable to us.Some universes may only support gas,no solid,or liquid. Or one of these could have totally different states of matter.Keep in mind "quantum flux" and "quantum probability" are one in the same they just refer to the many possible fluctuations or states particles can take. Quantum probability is just the mathematical interpretation of quantum flux.

Here is part one of the youtube video of the show The Universe. It explains what I said but with animations and interviews.

Helpful Links:

On Parallel Universes
M-Theory
Multiverse Theory
Quantum Mechanics

I prefer the physics behind the level two universe myself, it is really between that geometry and the flat geometry. Of course more research is needed, but this is a VERY interesting and mind boggling concept none-the-less.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The sad thing is that scientists are getting payed to imagine instead of coming up with real science. Where can I sign on? I don't even need a degree! Cool!

What follows is not a rhetoric question:

What exactly is "real" science?
Am I right in suspecting it is supposed to mean research within the limits of what is presently known to be "true" (and which was discovered, ironically enough, by individuals who transgressed the known limits of science in their own time)?

As far as degrees are concerned, I couldn't agree more: it's not the degree what matters, it's the ability of unfettered thought, an analytical mind. Even knowledge itself is of secondary importance, in Einstein's opinion. "Imagination is more important than knowledge", he said.

It doesn't hurt to have a degree, though, judging by the curricula of Hugh Everett & al.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

What follows is not a rhetoric question:

What exactly is "real" science?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Vanitas]

Good question, nothing is exactly "real" nor fully "true" or "fact" everything that we know has been created by humans, theories, studies, words, and the ever so long on going list.

Since it has been all created by humans there's no real "facts" to go off of, besides ones own perception and understanding.

We like to think we know, or understand what things are, what they do, what they mean, but we really don't know squat.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I'll take the 1956 "Forbidden Planet" Universe (minus the destruction of planet Altair-4) - and with options to add components from: 1955 "This Island Earth", 1965 "Lost In Space", 1966 "Star Trek", and a few other universes.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emerald The Paradigm
There is no number for how many parallel universes there are.

Humans need to start thinking in different ways when they approach new ideas, and not use primitive out of date style of thinking.

So how exactly do you know there are infinite universes? If you say because it just makes sense to you, wouldn't that be a primitive style of thinking?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Thanks for all your info always good to have a refresher.... Star

You know I'm not convinced any of these are right. What we do know is the more we dig the more confusing it becomes. It's as if the more we discover the more there is to discover and that's similar to going backward (not literally of course) It's truly as weird as we can possibly imagine and that's the point you or I could probably take a stab at explaining what we think it is and be just as right as the best physicists.
The mind boggles

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
excellent thread OP, S&F!

the multiverse, universe, and all it's possibilities are only limited by our imaginations.

why not make it big! sounds like fun to me.

cheers,
AA

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Because nothing ever ends.

If something exists, then it exists in the infinite.

How many planets can support life? Infinite.

How many ideas can a person have? Infinite.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed because it's infinite.

Parallel Universes are the same exact way. If they exist, which they do (anything is possible), then they are infinite amounts of them.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I agree - I do not think there is any possible way to ever calculate the number of parallel universes. I believe the subject should only be looked at as infinite.

I have always been curious of the topic and wonder about the existence of a higher power with this concept; but I believe you cannot calculate something that can change fluidly every microsecond giving immeasurable amounts possibilities.

Either way it does not look good for the Sliders.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
If its parallell universes, and things are not exactly the same, it then doesnt seem likely that a copy of everyone exist in all universes.

People meet different people and end up with different partners. Billions of sperms compete to win the race.

In fact, with all the variables, I think its more likely that only one of us exist.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I spent some time crunching the numbers and this scientist is off, the real number is: 10^10^17

Gotta hate those miscalculations.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

[edit on 16/10/09 by InfaRedMan]

What!!? These guys have PhDs in Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics and similar and a single math problem might takes years to complete! Your "imagine" is not only ignorant it's incredibly insensitive to some people who have spent their lives doing math.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Makes me think of the national debt in forty years assuming we are still around.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emerald The Paradigm

Bit of a bold statement that.

Can you provide any proof of these supposed infinite universes, or are you just saying... y'know... words.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join