It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 - What will people spend billions on?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I just wanted to start a discussion on this subject and see what ATS'ers had in mind.

It is somewhat like 2000, only this one has history and science to back it up.

For 2000, billion were made on items such as new software, new computers and equipment. Survival gear and food. Generators, out of the city properties, farming supplies, etc.

So what will it be this time? I am surprised that the computer people did not put something in on the 2000 fixes to make for new in 2012, that was not thinking ahead.

They are already making a ton on Movies, probably a little too early for it, but next month that one will scare the crap out of the population. I have a large go-fast boat I will put up for sale after the movie comes out.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

I made a "bucket" of money on Y2K.

Checking computer programs was the easiest, panic (on their part) job.

Maybe tin-foil hats?
"Gravity" boots?

You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be people "selling" salvation, protection, inner peace. . . all sorts of tripe.

S&F for being insightful.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
we shoulod come up with a bsuiness as a group. something that exploits 2012, and become shareholders.

then we can all make slightly smaller buckets as a group!

like portable bomb shelters...

or

survival pants...

ok those ideas suck... (:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I think there will be two types of people here on ATS.

The one's that sit and wet their pants and panic.
The one's that know alot more about all this stuff, and can make good of it.

This is a pretty concentraited group that for the most part, keep at least one eye open to 2012. I just thought with the movie coming out, that this would be a good direction to go.

Hell, if that 2012 movie comes to fruitation, unless you hook up with a UFO buddy, everyone will be pretty much screwed anyways. Might as well spend the last 25 months in luxury for the family.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
First of all, there was a reason that computers were one of the main money-makers of Y2K. Remember -- the entire thing was based on the premise that our technology then could not handle, and would therefore crash, turning over to the new millenium. This is why computer technology made a fortune.

Secondly, 2012 has nothing to do with computers or technology (other than our entire grid failing -- and there's no update for that) so I do not believe there will be any money made from that.

Thirdly, survival supplies are where the money is right now. Solar panels, heirloom seeds, greenhouses, anything and everything to enable one to live off-grid.

Survival supplies have a customer base right now coming from MANY different directions. Anti-government, religious fanatics (Obama is the anti-christ group), tent city dwellers, and 2012 'believers'. Coupled with those that see a carbon tax looming, green living tax, etc. and are looking to get 'green' before the government steps in and mandates it.

As far as the movie coming out, I think that for about 3 months after it hits theaters there will be a huge uptick in said supply hoarding. After 3 months, the masses willl forget about it and move on to the next latest and greatest.

I also think that guns and ammo are going to continue to be big money makers. Some of it because of 2012, and some of it simply because of what's going on in the world right now.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Something dark and rather nasty, I can bet people will be selling life insurance policies out, pennies on the dollar (if the dollar is any good anymore) I don't recommend doing that, too oppourtunistic for me. But I can see it happening.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

You hit it on the head, Alot of the population are not going to believe anything that is showing to them, weither it be say the media, Govenrments, or movies.

If it does come fruition, as in the movie, only a few million out of 7 billion it is now, will survive. Now that to me is scarey.

As for me knowing in my luck, I will win the Lottery in the early yer of 2012, what bad luck that would be lmao.

We already have those in the scientific sector disagreeing with each other over 2012. I just wish someone would just tell us all the truth, knock us of all out of our misery get it over and done with. Least if we know the truth, we can make peace with our maker, whom ever that is.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
we shoulod come up with a bsuiness as a group. something that exploits 2012, and become shareholders.

then we can all make slightly smaller buckets as a group!

like portable bomb shelters...

or

survival pants...

ok those ideas suck... (:

I'm in!

How about survival towns in the desert? Have you ever seen the little cabins like a small mobile home?
www.usaportablebuildings.com...

Then do an underground protection area for the town. You could put up hundreds of these. After 2012 passes, the homeless could have there own town with a supply of food to eat.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by j2000]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Infact I do not know 1 single person in the real world who knows let alone believes in 2012. I'm not sure it's such a big thing here in the UK. I never really heard about it till i came on here.

I'm sure there are many ways in exploiting the naivety of 2012 believers, maybe i need to have a look into it, see what commercial opportunities await.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Live it up like it's 1999!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by j2000

If it does come fruition, as in the movie, only a few million out of 7 billion it is now, will survive. Now that to me is scarey.

This is why the movie's will scare people into spending. What would one do to ensure they are part of the few million, not the billions believed to parish? I bet with 6 months of Dec 2012, they will give almost everything they have............

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Infact I do not know 1 single person in the real world who knows let alone believes in 2012. I'm not sure it's such a big thing here in the UK. I never really heard about it till i came on here.

I'm sure there are many ways in exploiting the naivety of 2012 believers, maybe i need to have a look into it, see what commercial opportunities await.
[edit on 14-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

Hell, let the greedy movie industry take care of that. You think this is the only movie being made about this? The more scared they get, the more they will buy into it and watch the movies.
It's like going to six flags for most people. They like to think their lives are worth something and that it's in danger.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
here's 1 thing:

YouTube - 2012 The Movie Trailer
It's coming!! The end of the world Hollywood style. Is this the beginning of the end. My fan trailer for the new 2012 End of the world movie. *If you are going to leave ...

User rating: 3/5 · 2588116 views · Added 3/12/2008
www.youtube.com...

in general many of us will still be fixated on pleasure, and hedonistic pursuits...because it's a 'Eat,Drink & make Merry---for tomorrow we Die' mentality

many will curl up in their personal sheltered worlds

others will pray

myself i'm going green with an electric LSV/NEV vehicle
because i see fuel being rationed like in the 1970s
& if i have a 110v-220v plug-in, i can shuttle patrons to the gas pumps or the grocery store for pennies per day

[edit on 14-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

IDEA!!!!

Lets pool our money, buy some geologically stable scrub land in some desert, and sell off parcels.

1/8th acre lots, no water, no plumbing, but "X" amount of miles away from any known fault line.

CHA-CHING!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Try more like 4,472,688 views and there are dozens of different one's.
Another one is 5,103,164 views. Pick a language and it's all there with millions and millions of view already.
They are really pumping this one up and have been for over 8 months or so.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by j2000]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

How about a lead lined box to put your hard drive into, just in case we get something from outer space? Cheap to make and worth an easy 100 bucks to most.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Or portable Faraday cages?

I like the way you're thinking. . . .

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I like the little town deal. They think if they have this far away place all is ok and secure. Make sure you have a Santa and turkey so everyone can enjoy one last xmas!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join