It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The forgotten war, no Hollywood movie!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I've been studying up on the Iran-Iraq war due to the current events that have and continuet to take place in that part of the world. I feel most Americans are clueless about this war. Sure we hear about the Korean war, the Vietnam war, WWII, Gulf War, even the Yom Kippur and Isreali wars. But it seems the Iran-Iraq war never gets much attention. I can't even remember studying it in high school or college.

Also why hasn't there ever been a Hollywood movie made about it? I think it would make a very eye opening movie and a great way to portray war is sometimes through the camera i.e. Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc.

What's astonishing is the support the US gave to Iraq and Saddam during that time period.

How many Americans have heard of Iranian Airflight 655?

What I find funny is there is a member on here who said the US wasn't involved in any major conflict from about 1973-1991. That guy needs to go back and read a history book. The 1980s was filled with lots of conflict involving the US military, maybe not major war, but conflict nonetheless. Hence my point in another thread that the US probably hasn't gone an entire decade let alone 5 years without being involved in some sort of military action or conflict.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Do Michiganians know that Saddam was made an honorary citizen of Detroit in 1980? LOL! And the sheeple continue to deny the plausability that Bin Laden is nothing more than a CIA boogey man.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
"Hollywood" mostly makes war movies about wars that American soldiers fought in.

There are exceptions, but who's going to sink a hundred million dollars into a movie about Iraqis and Iranians fighting each other? Are there enough Americans out there who would pay to see it and make it profitable? Would "enough" Americans find Iraqis or Iranians sympathetic?

I'm aware of Hollywood's war movies that don't feature American characters ("Enemy at the Gates," and Edward Zwick's recent approximation of "Come and See."). These are exceptions...but, apparently, anti-Nazi movies are enough of a box office draw to continue to find financing.

No doubt, if Brad Pitt wanted to play an Iranian soldier, such a movie would get made.

Personally, I'd love to see Hollywood produce a movie featuring the Battle of Kursk. Actually, no--Hollywood war movies kind of suck. I'd rather see a Russian production featuring the Battle of Kursk.

F

[edit on 13/10/09 by Fuggle]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Fuggle

Ok well not even a Hollywood movie but an international movie. Has there even been a foreign film depicting this war?

Some interesting facts:

The Iran-Iraq War was also the first and only conflict in the history of warfare in which both forces used Ballistic Missiles against each other

The Iran–Iraq War was extremely costly in lives and material, one of the deadliest wars since World War II.

Iran attacked and partially damaged the Osirak nuclear reactor on September 30, 1980 with two F-4 Phantoms, shortly after the outbreak of the Iran-Iraq War. This was the first attack on a nuclear reactor and only the third on a nuclear facility in history of the world. It was also the first instance of a pre-emptive attack on a nuclear reactor to forestall the development of a nuclear weapon

Kind of ironic that now Iran's nuclear weapon facilities are going to be attacked.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
For those people who don't know

Iran Air Flight 655

The aircraft, an Airbus A300B2 operated by Iran Air as IR655, was flying from Bandar Abbas, Iran, to Dubai, UAE, when it was destroyed by the U.S. Navy's guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes, killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard, including 66 children, ranking it the seventh among the deadliest airliner fatalities

Iran-Iraq War

also

Iran-Contra Affair

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

The US never apologized for the incident either.

I just don't get it. I haven't really gone back far enough to really understand why our government has had such a hatred for and so much anomosity towards Iran. It was Operation Ajax that overthrew the democratically elected Mosaddeq........the person responsible for nationalization the Iranian oil industry.........so there ya go folks it's all about oil.

My question is how many young dumb American youth will sign up to go fight those evil Iranians when the US gets thrown into another war ........with Iran? Do US soldiers REALLY know their history? Some 18 year old farm boy probably can't even point out Iran on the map let alone have a clue what Operation Ajax was all about.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

new topics

top topics

join