It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't let the elites box you in a label.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This has been on my mind lately. I've just been thinking about how people always like to categorize themselves with labels. I've been guilty of this too. I've thought that this was my label and then I can substitute that so I don't have to do any critical thinking what so ever.

What I did not realize was that it was just a classification. So I may be a classical liberal. That does not mean that I don't think independently. That does not mean that I don't make independent judgments. That doesn't mean that I try to tell it how I see it.

When people use labels they feel that they understand how another group thinks just with a label. That label however doesn't represent those other groups fully either. Just because a label may represent what you be doesn't mean that you don't have other views other than what the label says. It just means that you're mostly of that view, or, that's just the view that you so happen to agree with. It's just a label. That's all it is.

I'm not saying that all labels are bad. That's not the view I'm advocating here. I was just thinking earlier that using labels as a substitute of thought is counter-productive. Anyhow, that's what I have to say about the matter. Just remember to think critically and not let people put you in boxes. And even if you put yourself in a box... you should remember that what you do to yourself isn't a substitute for independent thinking.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Frankidealist35]

new topics

join