It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Mom Fights Middle School That Banned Her Bike Rides With Son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

New York Mom Fights Middle School That Banned Her Bike Rides With Son
www.foxnews.com...

A New York mother is fighting back against her school district after administrators and officials told her she and her son didn't have the right to bike to school together — and that his safety, even beyond school walls, was out of her hands.

Janette Kaddo Marino said their 3-mile rides to and from school in Saratoga Springs have been met with stiff opposition from officials and even a state trooper who claimed it was unsafe — and illegal — for her 12-year-old son Adam to travel on his own pair of wheels.

Undeterred, she and her seventh-grader have continued cruising to Maple Avenue Middle School this fall in defiance of a 15-year-old school regulation that effectively forces kids to take the bus or hitch a ride in a family car.

"They really don't have the right to tell me how to get my kids to school," Marino told FOXNews.com, emphasizing that she always accompanies her son and is "very safety-oriented."

"This just doesn't seem right to me that the school district would have that kind of authority over a parent," she said — noting that students have been asked not to walk to school. "We're not hurting anyone — we're just riding our bikes."

WTH?!?

I tell ya things are gettin' way outta hand on just about every everything these days...

No where in the Constitution does it say .Gov has anything to do with Education, yet alone how to get to the illegal system...

...and then they wonder why kids are fat, out of shape and we're up to our necks in debt fer Oil...

Yet another reason to drop out of the current system...nutz!

Living the Outlaw life: An education in freedom
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Seems like the nanny state is coming in over in america im in the uk its bad here but ive never heard of kids not being aloud to bike or walk to school.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by biohazardjon

I wonder how something like this would go over in say Japan or China...

I'd guess quite a large percentage of their people bike everywhere...

I believe many cities have set up public bike swap centers...just walk up...grab a bike...go where you need to...leave it...next...no need to steal 'em...they're everywhere...free...

Traffic congestion is terrible in large cities...

I'd also guess that most are in better shape and live longer from biking...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
So, riding a clean, self powered bike, is wrong?

Getting that extra bit of excercise. is wrong?

They really don't have a right to tell her how to get her child to school, especially in this sense.

I walked 2 miles by myself to school, there and 2 miles back during junior high, made me work harder to get a car!

Schools, should be held to what there made for, teaching kids.

Thats it, leave out the religious mumbo jumbo, at least until college.

Leave out controlling the parents.

Just accept the kids, and teach them.

That's all anyone ask, noone is asking anything more.

Just teach the damn kids.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
When I was in second grade and my brother in third, we rode five miles on our bikes each way to school and back. What is this world coming to? I will bet that home schooling is in this family's future.

Hey Hx3_1963 is that a guillotine in your avatar? Do you have a link to a larger picture of it?

[edit on 10-3-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

What would really be great...

If .Gov had nothing to do with Education at all...

Local Community's should decide how their children are educated, not some suit 1,000 Mi's away who knows nothing of their values/beliefs...

Actually teach them something that really matters and is based on reality...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Actually local government is what pushes these types of control freak laws and rules. The school is governed by the county and the state, not the federal government.

Of course they don't want you to ride you bike, you are not burning gasoline, having to pay insurance for the number of miles you are driving, and you are not nearly as vulnerable to the local police to ticket you, so they can afford their plush retirement plans.

This is why you can't buy a decent bicycle these days that doesn't weight a ton, and of course your kids must wear helmets, which of course discourages them from riding bikes. The PTB, the ICs, don't want you kids outside having a good time, they want your kids on the couch watching propaganda, or playing video games.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Unbelievable. I remember when I was in the 6th grade, which would have been 1971. My friends and I walked from the back of the subdivision to the front to get to the first bus stop and get the best seats almost every day. It was about a mile. After school we got off there occasionally so we could go to the store and get candy. Were there weirdos and molesters back then? Yes there were. We were cautious, waked in groups, and even ran one day, jumping over fences, when a slow moving car pulled up beside us. We all lived long enough to make it though high school!

In 3d grade I rode my bike or walked to school. No one would have thought to tell a kid not to do that.

How are kids going to learn ANYTHING if they are constantly protected and directed. Oh wait... that's the plan, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
ITs really sad, that local governemtns within a city, can inflict such harrasment on its own citizens. Why was a state trooper involved? His job is watch the highway, not go around searching for criminals in a city,,thats what city police are for* It sounds personal to me. SOmething maybe, happened between the stae tropper, the heads of the school, or both, and now, they are giving her grief. could be....
Damn i was 12 years old, in 6th grade, 1987. since 85, me and my older sister would walk to our elementrary school..about 1 mile away, on backroads. My middle school 88-89 i was walkking, becuase it was fun to go with friends, joke, laugh, what we can do afterschool...we ddi take the bus for abit, and that was bad. Some would do things like, tear open the seats fo the bus, and start a foam throwing war. One time, at our bus stop, their was a chestnut tree. My friend would load his backpack up and start throwing them around the bus. The differnece though is,....he got caught one time..an old lday driving the school bus, we knickneamed her grandma, got pegged inback of her head...her bllod pressure was boiling. She took the bus back to school with all of us on it. principae came out all angry and acting like he meant business. He asked her, who is responsable. My friend, another friend and I were pointed out, becasue of our association.
He made us sit on his office for 3 hours, and if we blinked our eyes, we got 3 days detention, and he was re thinking 2 day suspension. I almost did it! last 15 minutes, i blinked* my friend blinked after like 45 minutes an huor. automatic detenetion. I got off the hook, because he was impressed i fought it for as long as i could, and he knew my older sister, who was kinda frineds with her. phew!!!
SO! ive learned that riding the bus, is an envornemnt of adolescent out of control, kids up to what they do best..mischeif* yeah we got into mischeif walking too lol but at least not being around others to join in, the temptation, wasnt thier. at the bus stop one time, 7th grade, this other dude, who stayed back almost on his 2nd time, a real badass, found some flourescent bulbs someone left on the street one day. A truck was coming, like a bread truck sze..he stood at the curb, and tossed the bulbs out in front of him. he smiled at the truck driver, daring him to come out and do something about it..the trucker just gave him the finger and honked his old horn. One time, waitng for a bus that was late, my frined told me to cover his back, so i did. HE ripped the yellow page book off the metla chord from a payphone. A ciy worker saw us, came up and appraocjed us asking if we did this, he was callin the cops ect. my frined looked at him and dared him yuo got evidence? its because im black isnt it( he wa african american) my moms got a good lawyer..the city guy backed off then. we got away with it scott free.
SO! again, riding a bike or walking to school, seems to be the healthiest and most productive, and harmelss...well not in our case but in general for everyone else.
I wonder if tis personal? why would they tell her only she and her kid cant, and no one else?

top topics

join