It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.9 magnitude quake sparks tsunami warning for New Zealand

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

23 feet??? i heard 5 foot...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Working to verify it, but hoping it to be wrong. My ant and cousin are on one of the Solomon Islands, can't find any information on that either.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
www.google.com...

A powerful 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck in the South Pacific between Samoa and American Samoa around dawn Tuesday, sending terrified residents fleeing for higher ground as a tsunami swept ashore, flattening at least one village. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a general alert for the South Pacific region, from American Samoa to New Zealand. It said there were indications a tsunami wave could be "destructive" along some coastlines.

New Zealander Graeme Ansell said the beach village of Sau Sau Beach Fale was leveled.

"It was very quick. The whole village has been wiped out," Ansell told National Radio from a hill near Samoa's capital, Apia. "There's not a building standing. We've all clambered up hills, and one of our party has a broken leg. There will be people in a great lot of need 'round here."

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu issued a tsunami warning for numerous islands in the Pacific, including the Samoas, the Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji, New Zealand, French Polynesia and Palmyra Island.

The center posted a tsunami watch for Hawaii, Vanuatu, the Marshall Islands, Solomon Island, Johnston Island, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Wake Island, Midway Island and Pitcairn.

In New Zealand, a tsunami alert was issued by national Civil Defense, and the nation's national emergency center was activated.

www.3news.co.nz...

Aucklander Tua Saseve says he is concerned for his relatives in Samoa after hearing that one person had died.

He says the coastal part of a village called Aufaga is under water.

Unconfirmed radio reports suggest that two villages in Samoa have also been hit by a tsunami. The villages affected are Siumu and Lotofago.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

they have a tsunami watch there. hope all is well

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I posted warnings on Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook, alerting people of what's happened.

I suggest y'all do the same.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Tsunami watch for Hawaii canceled.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
We are all on alert to prepare to evacuate at my work place if neccessary, although probably unlikely. But it's certainly a bit of excitement for the day.

I hope things aren't too bad in Samoa. It didn't seem like much at first, but some of the posts above seem pretty serious, if they are accurate.

It's great to be able to come on here to quickly get information as it comes up. Keep up the good work, ATS'ers

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
23-feet was a typo. It was actually 2.3 feet.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Looks like according to the morning news bulletin on right now on TV One the wave was expected to hit Gisbourne right now, and East Cape 15 minutes ago... no reports of anything significant from either location.

Warnings are still in place, but id guess its gonna be an ordinary day for us in NZ.

Hope its nothing spectacular for you lot in the smaller, closer, pacific islands.

Good luck

Edit:- Opps forgot... **knocks on wood** ... me superstitious?... nah
better to be safe i guess

[edit on 29-9-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
new zealand is getting rocked this year eh... poor kiwis.. that dust storm ever get there?

haha, it didn't seem to...we had a good blast of rainy fronts which seemed to have dampened it down a bit...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
more than 100 dead on samoa islands

from french tv at the moment

RIP

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Hmmm, only heard about this in the afternoon, am in Wellington, was at university talking to one of my professors he mentioned it, wasn't really surprised to be honest.

I feel for those people in Samoa, hope our aid can help them out.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
the nz media are saying only about 40 are dead but then again i never have taken the nz media too seriously looks like they're all on some kind of anti-depressants or some kind of Gov mind control pills haha

also cant wait for the action to start would be great if the ocean just swallowed up all the bad people here

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Tsunami in South Pacific islands kills nearly 100
news.yahoo.com...

The quake was centered about 125 miles (200 kilometers) from Samoa, an island nation of 180,000 people located about halfway between New Zealand and Hawaii. It was about 120 miles (190 kilometers) from neighboring American Samoa, a U.S. territory that is home to 65,000 people.

Four tsunami waves 15 to 20 feet (4 to 6 meters) high roared ashore on American Samoa, reaching up to a mile (1.5 kilometers) inland, Mike Reynolds, superintendent of the National Park of American Samoa, was quoted as saying by a parks service spokeswoman

A mile inland is indeed a powerful tsunami

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The Pacific and Australian rims are very alive and active this morning with quake activity.
Also, of note, is a minor earthquake in central New Mexico..hmmmm.

I follow the iris quake monitor site:

www.iris.edu...

We are living on one stressed out planet now!!

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I hate to be rude but why is anyone posting in this thread? The OP already pointed out that a thread already exists so maybe we should give the original poster credit. I think it is quite wrong that people are replying when they are aware something already exists on the same subject.

Original Thread Here

[edit on 30-9-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube

A mile inland is indeed a powerful tsunami

Surely it depends on the topography, so it could very well be powerful?
What do you think?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A second major quake (6.8) just struck the same area as yesterday in western Indonesia:

news.yahoo.com...

What's going on? Seems like something is starting. I felt these quakes were coming. I got "the feeling" about a week ago. Same thing happened to me before the 2005 quake/tsunami. Not a cool ability to have.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by ufo reality]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
^ yep expect more

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom I can imagine that a tiny Pacific Island can't "get through" a tsunami as well as a mainland area.

A tiny island would not feel a Tsunami as bad as the mainland because it IS tiny. Its when the wave comes across the continental shelf that it gets deadly

Live quake watch

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by zorgon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join