It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is definitely NOT the meaning of life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've seen many threads about what the meaning of life is. Serving God, helping people, so on and so on. But I wanted to ask something original, so I want to know this: what is definitely not the meaning of life?

Is it definitely not living life to the fullest, or heck, definitely not eating tiny animals. What, I ask you, what?

[edit on 28-9-2009 by ineverknew]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hate, Greed, Anything negative is not the meaning of life.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
pollution, love for materialism

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This topic would be way, way too easy to make fun of.

Eating hot dogs
Making curtains
Pressing the D key
Turning a dial
Building fires

While these may be useful pursuits in some capacity, they are not in and of themselves the meaning of life.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
42. Wonder if DNA found it?

Definately isn't the way society lives now.

Love what you have and look after it.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The 7 deadly sins

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rivyolie

Building a fire... Dude, that might be the meaning of life.

I was going to say "3." I thought about it, and I'm pretty sure "3" isn't the meaning.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Outdoing the Joneses.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We seek to define ourselves when really, we are already defined. We are the variable in the constant of life. That uncertain factor that makes the Law of cause and effect exciting. In other words, the seeking serves its own purpose. When "it" is found, there is no more need to seek and thus, we have no more need to exist.

***Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland****

Edited: I forgot to add what is NOT the meaning of life: nothing. It all serves its purpose. We wouldn't know love without hate; we wouldn't know lovingkindness without greed; we wouldn't know pleasure without pain. I think you get the idea.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ineverknew

Not to build all these buildings!
Not to over-populate!
Not to kill off all the Wildlife & Nature!
Not to be a Taxman!
Not to be greedy!

That will do for now...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

What is the meaning of Life?

Well, from the looks of things, The Meaning of Life is definitely NOT The Meaning of Life...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The meaning of life is not :-

You are Born
You go to school
You get a job
You fall in love
You get married
You get a mortgage
You have 2.5 kids
You work till you are almost dead
You die and leave everything to your kids.

Thus remaining a 'sleeper' and living The Dream is not the meaning of life.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Wealth...
Reproduction...
Ease...
Tomorrow...
Carnal...
Hopeless...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Well my personal belief doesn't allow me to really answer this, but I figured I would contribute for this very fact. I don't think there is a meaning in the sense of a creator or benevolent being giving us some specific message "The meaning of life is love" for example. Rather I think the message is more vague, that the meaning is existence itself, the variety thereof, the manifestly infinite and eternal nature of the universe allowing for all possibilities to be fulfilled in a timeless field of infinite potential.

Thus hate, greed, war, revolution, love, peace, materialism, fascism, music, sex are all things which give color, flavor, aroma and texture to the meaning of life which is the experience of many things within existence.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
nothing

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I just saw the film No Country for Old Men . And I must say, dare I say, that living may not be the meaning of life. Take this line from the film:

You can't stop what's comin. Ain't all waitin on you...that's vanity.

www.youknow-forkids.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Interesting question ineverknew (and confusing!!) S & F for that....

I guess what definitely isn't the meaning of life is......to NOT experience.
Since this is not an option ,unless you are braindead, i guess everybody is doing their part in giving meaning to his/her life.

Now like gandhi said:

Hate, Greed, Anything negative is not the meaning of life.

i do not agree with this. Anything negative is just the direct opposite of anything positive and without the one the other would not exist.....they are equally important and thus very critical in defining the meaning of life. (does that make sence?? To me it does.....
)

So i guess to experience things is the meaning of life. See, taste, touch, hear and smell every possibility you get!!! Look at a tree for a straight hour (and i mean really look!!!) and you'll know what i mean....

Peace

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The meaning of life is the opposite of what the organisers of the world are doing.

As long as they remain in power, the world in general will not find the true meaning of life.

A few individuals divorce themselves from worldly things and try to find the meaning of life, and they are probably the ones who get closest to the true meaning.

I would have to say that the Dalai Lama personifies the true meaning of life - love your fellowman, do not wage war, do not bear grievances, be kind to animals, do not be materialistic, be humble, laugh and be happy. I have never seen such a constantly smiling and gentle person.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I would have to say that the meaning of life is most definitely NOT to get rich, have 2 kids. Get a dog and a fence. And marry the biggest quack job in the neighborhood. Seems too...dumb and....dumb for me. That is what I believe anyways. Just my opinion.

Unless the fence was made of Chocolate. I want a chocolate fence.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The meaning of life isN'T to be deceived/lied to from those in 'power' and feel like you can't do anything about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join