It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Dust contains Uranium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Australia Dust contains Uranium

news.bbc.co.uk

Environmentalists have raised concerns that another giant dust storm blowing its way across eastern Australia may contain radioactive particles.
It is argued that sediment whipped up from Australia's centre may be laced with material from a uranium mine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Excuse me for my ignorance but is uranium related to lithium, the drug issued to people with Bipolar disorders, Just a theory popped into my head
that's maybe used as a population control technic...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
What ever it contains, dust can't be good anyway! Its not looking good over there! Im just glad im at a part of the world where nothing much happens!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The actual title is...

Australia 'uranium' dust concerns

In any case, Uranium is not that bad, it, and other radioactive elements are literally everywhere. It should not be compared to Nuclear waste, because that is spent Uranium containing byproducts like Plutonium.

Excuse me for my ignorance but is uranium related to lithium, the drug issued to people with Bipolar disorders, Just a theory popped into my head
that's maybe used as a population control technic...

No, not at all.

[edit on 28/9/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The title is "Contains Dust", do you believe that after they declared the post 9/11 Dust breathable that a environmental group with proof that Uranium is contained in a second-wave of Dust Storms are going to be outshadowed by the Australian Government (who incidentally have now banned bottled water so people will be forced to drink Flouride tap water)

Anything containing Uranium, Plutonium, or Dust in general isnt too good for you.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
In any case, Uranium is not that bad, it, and other radioactive elements are literally everywhere. It should not be compared to Nuclear waste, because that is spent Uranium containing byproducts like Plutonium.

Yeah, I don't know if I would go so far as to say 'not that bad' but you're right, depleted uranium is the really nasty stuff.
More on DU

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Australian Government (who incidentally have now banned bottled water so people will be forced to drink Flouride tap water)

Good grief, are you serious? I totally missed that one, do you have a link?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Your thread title needs a ?, or the word 'may' in it.

This was brought up a week ago, that the dust MAY contain uranium.

There's a uranium mine out where the dust stom originated, which is why its a possibility.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
www.earthtimes.org...

You'd think with the temperatures that they see in Australia that they'd have no problem carrying bottled water around, seems someone wants the local people and tourists to be drinking their nicely flavoured Flouride instead of the pure stuff instead.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: 1stly I was talking to OzWeatherman during the duststorms and I raised this issue with him then [on mutter] and he sorta [my POV] put the kybosh on it but I'm still undecided for several reasons which I'll lay out below!

2ndly Pls don't confuse the origin of the BBC source as it isn't t the Governement bloke working for labour but is instead this Bloke! [2ndry Frontlinefilms Source ]

So here is my POV on this matter..my uncle worked for the government and did soil testing at maralinga and he scared me with what he told me....I still don't trust him on this matter either as he made jovial comments about water filled obsidian lined tower test nuke craters which appear filled in now on Google Earth! Anyhow I put 2 and 2 together and can easily see that the Hay Plains [major food bowl] is directly down wind of these sites for the past 40+ odd yrs and therefor the mind boggles when what the OP is supported by these kinda wiki links [Montebello Islands] where this info shows that they spread radioactive fallout all over the place...repeatedly RE: all were tested above ground!

From wiki source " Queensland towns such as Mount Isa, Julia Creek, Longreach and Rockhampton were contaminated by the fallout of this test."

Personal Disclosure: So Duststorm picking up uranium tailings is not that far fetched at all! But my moneys on the radioactive fallout that they allowed to willy nilly be blown everywhere. I bet if they did an ice core drilling on some NZ glaciers they would register a spike in radioactive particals around the time of the original 1950's Atomic tests!

P.S. the Hiroshima little boy bomb had a 70kg [approx] critical mass amount of uranium 235 enriched to 80% and only 0.7kg under went fission and of that only 0.6grams was actually totally converted to energy in form of heat and light and that did a fantastic 10+KT worth of work! The remaining 99.9% of the 80% enriched 235 uranium [about 69+kg] was spread by the wind as fallout...and Uranium 235 has a half-life of 700 million years.

Edited for grammar and to add that I put forth the littleboy bomb stats as an example of the dirty atomic weapons that were tested during that period and even though the tests included plutonium bombs as well the principle I am pushing still holds!

[edit on 28-9-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hi, old time user here logging in for the first time in years, moderators may recognise the I.P.

^^

Anyway, how come no one has tried to link this to climate change yet?

Are people too busy trying to ignore what is right in front of their eyes or something?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

that a environmental group with proof that Uranium is contained in a second-wave of Dust Storms are going to be outshadowed by the Australian Government

The "environmentalist" you speak of is David Bradbury, who has made documentaries on the issue of depleted Uranium munitions being used in Iraq, the Olympic dam uranium mine in South Australia, and recently, Nuclear power. He is of course, against them all. Therefore, of course he wants to claim that this dust is radio toxic, it's in his best interest to do so. However, as of yet, he has absolutely no evidence to the dust is toxic - other than a bunch of dust storms originating from the region in which Olympic Dam is located. Anything to do with Uranium and Nuclear power are they new fear mongering buzzwords in Australia, and now a filmmaker / political activist that is already predisposed to the issue, proclaims that it is laced with Uranium and you guys believe him, despite scientists saying otherwise?

Mining companies have stressed that dust levels are carefully monitored, .

I think Uranium mining companies are about as credible as David Bradbury himself on this issue. Of course, Mill tailings have been known to be blown around locally, but I have never seen any evidence of it being carried long distances in any statistically significant quantity.

Barry Noller from the University of Queensland says that many of the particles from mines in the outback are simply too heavy to be carried by the wind over long distances.

"In a big dust storm, the dust is not going to come from one isolated site, it is going to be mixed in with dust from a [wide] area and diluted considerably," Mr Noller said.

Is it a filmmaker / political activist whom has no evidence, or a respected environmental scientist? Which one holds the truth?

Anything containing Uranium, Plutonium, or Dust in general isnt too good for you.

Mill tailings do not contain Plutonium. Only small amounts of Uranium that are extremely heavy. In any case, the CSIRO estimated that the storm carried some 16 million tonnes of dust, making any Uranium amounts extremely trace. I would be far more worried about what occurs naturally in that dust than any extremely small amount of mill tailings, however I have never seen any studies indicating that. And yes, obviously dust is bad if you breath it in.

The title is "Contains Dust",

Is it? And I'm against all fluoridation of water, and banning of water bottles.

The remaining 99.9% of the 80% enriched 235 uranium [about 69+kg] was spread by the wind as fallout...and Uranium 235 has a half-life of 700 million years.

Mill-tailings are the bits that you don't want - primarily Uranium 238 which has a half life of a few billion years. It's that long because it simply is not very radioactive. The main issue with mill tailings is that it produces radon gas, which is radioactive and I believe, heavier than air. However, radon gas is also the main source of radiation in most places of the world - small amounts of dust would logically have no effect. In any case mill tailings have very little to do with fallout from a nuclear weapon, as they are chemically and physically different.

It frustrates me that Uranium mining is confused with Nuclear weapons - they are not the same - it's like comparing nuclear medicine to nuclear weapons. Peaceful Nuclear power is the only realistic competitor to coal. Incidentally each coal power plant releases hundreds of tons of heavy metals including Uranium a year - but that's for another time.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

One tiny town of 2500 people is not the whole of Australia, nor was it imposed by the Australian or state governments... that's just straight up lying.

So is you claiming that there is flouride in their water supply, do you have a source for that claim?

[edit on 28/9/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Hi ROBL240

They havent banned bottled water, they have deregulated the laws across oz allowing bottled water manufacturers to put flouridated water in bottles without tellng us.

this was in all the papers here and it started out as a banning in one town in NSW of bottled water sales and lead to deregualtion.

have a great day

themuse

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

The title is "Contains Dust", do you believe that after they declared the post 9/11 Dust breathable that a environmental group with proof that Uranium is contained in a second-wave of Dust Storms are going to be outshadowed by the Australian Government (who incidentally have now banned bottled water so people will be forced to drink Flouride tap water)

Sorry but it is only one town within Australia that has banned bottle water, also the town people voted to ban it, not the government. Please stick to the facts here. Generalizations like that are just scaremongering, pure and simple.

Hope your also wrong about the uranium. But seriously your source is an english news article. So forgive me for saying that your argument doesn't hold water.

Lastly I have not heard anything in any local news papers at uranium in the dust so sorry if i disagree with you on this topic.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
hah i live in australia sydney, i woke up at 4 30 am to be but on mars! (not really) haha just saying it was liturally RED DUST LIKE ON MARS haha

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Disclaimer: As above!

Explanation: I bought this yesterday in the ACT!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b338ad1d5ee9.jpg[/atsimg]

Personal Disclosure: :shk: disinfo might just get you banned!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

the Australian Government (who incidentally have now banned bottled water so people will be forced to drink Flouride tap water)

Lets not jump the gun, the Australian Government have NOT banned bottled water, one small rural town has banned it!

Big difference!

Mikey

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
That small town is still governed by the higher powers who also have the same influence on giving the public disinformation on whats contained within the Dust Particles coming from the Outback.
Would they have banned bottled water if the area in question was in the middle of nowhere where nobody lives?, exactly govern and rule, you cant tell me a town leader has a higher authority in those parts in deciding what goes in the water and how to populate control, than the whole of the Australian Government.
We might aswell just then say that same Town leader has complete control over the Military activities and intel that go on in the vicinity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join