It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over half of the people at the UN walked out during Ahmadinejad's speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

This reminds me of when Ahmadinejad was going to speak at a college in the United States when Bush was still in office. Before the guy could get to speak the dean of the college had some opening remarks. I remember it being a controversial decision by the dean of the college to let Ahmadinejad speak.

I believe he said something along the lines of Ahmadinejad being a loathsome dictator and stuff like this. I don't know, I looked for it and couldn't find it. Anyway, the guy is still the elected official of a country. He deserved the respect from the dean of this college I believe.

The way the guy went on about Ahmadinejad made me cringe. I actually felt embarrassed that the dean was that stupid. It's like he had no common sense at all. Does anyone remember this?

If so, please provide a link for me because I just can't find it. I think it may have been two years ago. Not sure. Why not let the guy speak his mind to the public here. Maybe then, the people could come up with a solution to what is supposedly dividing us. That would be too much like the people having a say in world matters though. Right?

Edited to add found it. It was at Columbia and the dean I was referring to was Lee Bollinger.

These are the bare facts. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran received an unsolicited invitation to speak at Columbia University in New York. He showed up. In his ‘welcome’ address, Columbia University president, Lee Bollinger, said of Ahmadinejad – to his face – that "you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator. You are either brazenly provocative, or astonishingly uneducated." This was followed by even more insults heaped on the guest speaker. At one point during Ahmadinejad’s speech, he naively declared that there were no homosexuals in Iran. The assembled audience responded to this with jeering laughter. I think this was a mistake. Don’t get me wrong. I am no admirer of the Iranian President – although I do believe he is seriously underestimated by the West. The man may act like a country buffoon, but he knows exactly what he is doing – and what will sell to his own people. Back home, his popularity rating is triple that of George Bush. Whether his speech was a public relations exercise, or a genuine/hypocritical attempt to explain his political stand to ordinary Americans, will remain debatable. However, that is not the main issue here.

www.buzzle.com...

The author feels the same way I did when I witnessed it. So I guess nothing has changed thus far. TPTB say he is no good, everyone get away and they listen.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My only point of contention was Obama's railing against Iran, then the USA gets up and walks out on Iran's speech.

if you can dish it, you can take it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

And those are the people that are representing us. I believe they should be given a chance to address the people who they have a problem with. Let the people decide what to do with such matters. Let our president go there and listen to those people. Let those people decide how to resolve the issues.

Instead, they keep secrets. They have to keep there power and there are ways to go about doing that. The people cannot know the actual reasons behind the illusion. We are to obey. That's just the way I see it. Who knows, I could be wrong.

I know one thing. If I were to go to Iran and hang around a few people and get to know them, I believe I would find we are not that different. Those things that get thrown into the MSM and evoke feelings of hate are there for a reason.

I believe the Iranians want the same thing that we here in the U.S. want. Peace, freedom. We want to be able to raise our children and enjoy our families. End of story. Now what is the reason we want to bomb them? I forgot.

I don't believe the average Iranian wants Ahmadinejad saying half of the stuff he says. It is all an illusion.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Why WW2 holocaust.. why talk about the past?

They should debate the holocaust being committed by Israel upon Palestinians every single day now.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I'll keep looking for the hate in the speech.

Look for it in the streets of Tehran where they hang the bodies of homosexuals from the lampposts, and stone young girls to death after burying them up to their neck.

I don't ever remember Gandhi supporting acts like that.

I must say, you have some strange heroes.:shk:

and i think i found plenty of love 200 years ago when thousands of africans were made as slaves, beaten, whipped, raped and killed in exchange of making America the richest country in the world with not having to pay the workers.

or the time when over 100,000 innocent civilians were killed in a single war.

or how about the only country to ever drop the worlds most deadliest weapon, yet still preach about not having them.

I can say the same to you my friend.

He spoke his thoughts, as the leader of his country, like every other member, he had the right to make a speech about his thoughts on the world, and how to improve it.

People walked out and why?
They didnt like what they heard,
they already have impressions on what he is;
a terrorist, a mad man, a dictator.

Have we forgeten about the HUGE amount of votes the went missing during the presedential elections when bush became president? seems like we have.

The summit is about the leaders of the world meeting and discussing how to better out world, CONSIDERING THEY ARE CALLED WORLD LEADERS!

If the smaller countries in the world walked out on Israel or the US speaking, people would retaliate like you wouldnt believe.

Do as i say not as i do as the saying goes

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
As a disappointed Canadian, I have written to my MP (and the Prime Minister, even though I know I will just get a form letter back saying thanks for the support, boneheads) letting them know that I do not support this action and find it very childish. As one of the countries that preach tolerance and mediation, this was anything but. Even if you disagree with what he had to say, you sit your ass in that seat and listen, that is what you are there for. I am sick and tired of all this grade school BS.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Walking out was a bad choice. Even if his blathering idiot was spewing garbage, it would have been best if he was "heard out". That way, he feels like he was respected during his tirade. Once it was over, then EVERYONE could point out the flaws of his "speech" and discredit it based upon it's substance. However, walking out only gives off the impression, in Ahmadinejad's eyes, that the world IS out to get him.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Very good point Rook1545. Let's all act like children and run away from the guy with the cooties. Dude I don't know about anyone else but if this is the kind of stupidity that we can expect from world leaders, than I feel as though there is no chance of peace. Why not write down some of his problems and talk about them with him? Find out what it is that is so important as to risk the lives of countless innocent people. I just don't get it, and that's how they like it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
As a person with deep distrust of the motives and the religio-political possibilities of the Islamic states, and the place of the Imamocracy of Iran in their plans.....

I as usual don't see anything in President Ahmadinejad's speech that is crazy or concerning. His points are excellent, and deserve consideration. His presentation is fine. His choice of words is well done, and considered.

The fact that he has beliefs which are a bit abhorent is an ad hominem attack. Because I do not like that you said "A" then when you say "B, C, and D" it is also all bad.

His ideas on what "equality" means are intentional misdirection. He and I do not mean the same things when we talk about "peace" and "equality" or "justice."

[edit on 2009/9/24 by Aeons]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I honestly find myself not caring about this whole thing. This is another typical non-issue being put on the media hot seat so that the rest of the world can be distracted from whatever real news worthy item is actually occurring. It makes me wonder what is actually being swept under the carpet that will be under the tag "while you were whargarbling about so and so", here is what happened.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by justinsweatt
I honestly find myself not caring about this whole thing. This is another typical non-issue being put on the media hot seat so that the rest of the world can be distracted from whatever real news worthy item is actually occurring. It makes me wonder what is actually being swept under the carpet that will be under the tag "while you were whargarbling about so and so", here is what happened.

This is the real news that you should pay attention to.

If this was some retarded TMZ event, you'd have a point. If this was about someone giving *snip* to a world leader you'd have a point.

But news about how the leaders of nations are interacting with each other is news that should not be ignored.

I know that talking about your local mayor's unconcern with pot holes is also pertinent, but perhaps not quite on the same level.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It begs the question why does anyone even take the UN seriously? The UN is in the interest of those who have veto votes on the Security Council and nothing more as has been proven through the history of the last 25 years of history. What I'm more talking about is the reaction to this guy's speech seems to be a little out of proportion to the fact that this seems to be a metaphor for another pretext for another war in the region by a "coalition of nations" which could have serious global repercussions.

It was not my attention to play it off as another strange day on Perez Hilton or anything. Rather, it seems to be that most are placing talking points on things that aren't as important as to what this will actually lead up to.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think that people walking out is a disgrace to all the people of countries who have elected them.After listening to his speech i think he has some valid points,although i wish he would stop involving religion with everything he says.
If your memorys arent that short,you will remember the media forever building saddam and iraq to be our enemy with wmd.GUESS WHAT its happening again,a funny little pattern,to whip up hatred so when we go into IRAN to liberate them from the dictator,that the public will agree that we are doing the right thing.Does cheap oil ring a bell,once hes removed we strike up a deal with the new goverment that we install that give us cheap oil cos we liberated them.
YOU MUST SEE THE SIMILARITIES

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Does anyone remember how the two times we've meddled in Iran's affairs it led to pretty disastrous consequences? You would think that the world stage would have learned from the mistakes of Eisenhower and Carter on this issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HotDogNoBun

holy blanket statements batman.

tadaaa,,,,and foreva morrrrrre.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotDogNoBun
reply to post by Cosmic4life

I think they should have walked out. Wouldnt you have walked out if Hitler was speaking at the UN?

The comment about Qadaffi being like a truther... that is just perfect that you truthers identify with a rambling lunatic and are proud of it.

READ IT: politicaltheatrics.org...

Then come back here and tell me that this man sounds like Hitler.

I personally challenge you to read his speech and find fault with ANYTHING that he said in it. If you can find something wrong then you don't want everyone on Earth to have the same chance at having a peaceful and fulfilling life.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
How many walked out as a sign of protest, and how many walked out so to be seen to be in protest?

Exactly. It is for show. For more groveling at the feet of their masters.

It really is quite pathetic.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
if the most recent link containing what we are told is the mans speech is genuine...

then no one who is criticizing the man on this website has read it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 814ck0u7
if the most recent link containing what we are told is the mans speech is genuine...

then no one who is criticizing the man on this website has read it.

Exactly.

I find very often people talk about things they don't know a whole lot about.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

which is sort of worrisome, really. people arent even listening. just doesnt bode well.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join