It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Poles Shifting ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
In Feb. of 2008 I glued a compass down to a shelf in a closet to check if the claims of the poles shifting were true. I check it every few months and noticed a shifting of a few degrees every time I checked. The last time I checked it was June, tonight I checked and was surprised to see it has shift about 8 degress since June. It has moved a total of 14 degrees since gluing it down in Feb.... Is this the pole shift coming..???

[edit on 9/14/2009 by KAKUSA]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

I don't suppose you have a picture from Feb of the compass on the shelf do you? Not that I disbelieve ou, but I use a hand bearing compass regularly to navigate my way up the river I live on and the same bearings have held true for the last year. Variation here is changing at about half a degree per year., not enough for me to notice.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
reply to post by KAKUSA

I don't suppose you have a picture from Feb of the compass on the shelf do you? Not that I disbelieve ou, but I use a hand bearing compass regularly to navigate my way up the river I live on and the same bearings have held true for the last year. Variation here is changing at about half a degree per year., not enough for me to notice.

Yes I do, 2 of them.. Forgive the smaller size but these were taken off another web site that I have been posting to since gluing it to the shelf.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ok, just eliminating possibilities here, but you haven't put anything either electronic or magnetic near/under the magnet since without realising? I only ask because I lived with shocking deviation (20+) on the helm compass of my big boat for almost a year after buying it before clearing out a locker on the flybridge and finding a ridiculously strong magnet stored up there for retrieving tools dropped overboard. As soon as I removed the magnet the compass was spot on.

If not, then that is a bit weird.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

If it was February of this year, then why do the two small photos show dates that say LAST year, 2008???

Also, why is this new photo in OP not date stamped like the others?

[edit on Mon Sep 14th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by KAKUSA

If it was February of this year, then why do the two small photos show dates that say LAST year, 2008???

Your right, sorry about that... Time flys...I'll edit that..Thanks

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

What do you MEAN you'll edit that??? the whole premise of your post here is that the poles were shifting A LOT in a very short period of time! They ban people around here for knowingly posting false info you know... What in the heck are you doing?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It doesn't look like the needle has turned. The only thing that seems to have changed is the orienting line attached to the movable bezel ring. The edge trim of the shelf is lined up with 150º in all the photos.

[edit on 9/14/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by KAKUSA

Also, why is this new photo in OP not date stamped like the others?

[edit on Mon Sep 14th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

I took the new larger photo tonight, didn't add a time stamp...The 2 smaller photos were taken off a web site I posted them to which added those time stamps when they were sent to them...If you'd like to see another photo of the compass with a news paper next to it to prove it was taken tonight I could do that for you.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Do you have a mobile home?

zwei

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Do you have a mobile home?

zwei

No a house....

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It doesn't look like the needle has turned. The only thing that seems to have changed is the orienting line attached to the movable bezel ring. The edge trim of the shelf is lined up with 150º in all the photos.

Sharp eye as usual Phage. Comparing the N to the hinge on the lid does indeed show that the magnetic North of the compass has not changed.

OP, any thoughts to this? Did someone move the marker line?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
..didn't think it would be long before some of the ATS brainiacs showed up to keep things in line.

I did a little snooping and other than doom and gloom blogs, I came across this info on the magnetic field from the Nasa website.

image.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

The earth's geomagnetic field is somewhat inconsistent anyway... Check out that link.

And rense.com had a project going on this years ago...

www.rense.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Think you jumped the gun on that one. Note how the line on the upper right of the glass is still in the same position with respect to the case on the compass?

Besides, shifting of the magnetic poles is periodically tracked, searchable images viewable on the net. I hypothesize that the mp is moving faster because it is going across the rotational axis.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I read an article a few years back that said the magnetic poles were fluctuating like 100 yards a year. Not much to get excited about, but that was years ago.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I think your paying too much attention to the bezel and not where the compass is pointing. If you draw a line across them you can clearly see it's moved.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

I see a slight difference between the photo marked 4/6/08 and the one marked 6/12/08. That could be accounted for by a slight difference in camera position but better quality images would help determine that. I see little or no difference between 6/12/08 and the current image. Certainly not 14º. You seem to be basing that figure on the bezel setting which has clearly changed.

Magnetic declination does change over time due to the constant drift of the magnetic north pole. Unless you are very near the magnetic north pole this change is very much less than 1º per year. I'm a boater, I use my compass a lot. I would notice a charge as great as what you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Remember that the north pole shift all the time. Just look at sailing maps. You can see a deviation, the value per year, counting from a particular year the map was printed. Sailers use those if they travel vast distances, since it matters. The magnetic north pole is constantly doing those small "circles" around the actual geographical N. Well, they aren't circles but you know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
From my research with the pole shift. It was under my impression that the pole shift only takes 20 hours. You might be experiencing a drop in the field.
This is only my opinion could be wrong but from my research this is my conclusion

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join