It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people ascribe supernatural qualities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
To their emotions?

You have heard it all before, probably...

"Listen to your Heart!"

"Let your feelings Guide you!"

And, my personal Favorite (From the Matrix):

"To deny our own instincts, is to deny the very thing that makes us human"

I see this sort of Reverse Evolution all over the place.

Movies, Television, Songs, Etc, etc, etc...

As if your Heart is anything more than a muscle that pumps blood.

I think Ayn Rand summed it up best when she wrote the famous "This is John Galt Speaking" bit in her book, "Atlas Shrugged"

The last part is my favorite.

Seriously... the one thing that separates Man, from Animals... is not our Emotions.

It is our Reason.

To cling to emotions, heart, feelings, and instinct is to DENY the very nature of man...

To rid yourself of the Pains of BEING human, by transforming yourself into a beast.

Comments? Thoughts? Additions? Discussions?

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
They are not being supernatural in my opinion. they are using models. like if you look at www.nlp.com you will learn about some unique shi#. unbelievably cool stuff. the phrases trust your heart and listen to your feelings are about using what is called a sensory predicate. in this case it is the kineshetic (sp?) predicate. check it out my ats friend. it will expand your already very big brain.
nlp is about making a map of the universe/world. anyway it's hard to explain in real life , much less on a post. just check it out. the map is not the territory. that's a classic nlp saying/model/metaphor . i have no doubt you will get a handle on it quite easily.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

They are not being supernatural in my opinion. they are using models. like if you look at www.nlp.com you will learn about some unique shi#. unbelievably cool stuff. the phrases trust your heart and listen to your feelings are about using what is called a sensory predicate.

Yes, that was my (Subtle) point....

That it is deliberate.

And an attempt to shut down mans greatest weapon... his mind.

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

fascinating, as spock would say. you are almost always on to something bro. i will be thinking about that concept before i write anything else about it. i like it though. cool.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

The mind is a fantastic invention, but some would argue that it is not man's "greatest weapon."

One can theorize a level of knowledge above rational thought. When someone alludes to "instinct" or "heart" that may be what they are trying to do. In the materials I have studied it is called "knowingness." It is senior to, and more powerful than, rational thought.

But for most people, these benefits are unattainable or unreliable without some technology to develop one's ability to simply know.

It may be that rational thought is looked on as man's greatest weapon. But it is also his Achilles heal! For the mind can be booby-trapped so that it will perceive things that are not real or are not true.

The mind is basically an energy system, so there are energy-based technologies that can be used against it. This would be theoretically impossible to do with pure knowingness. To know one does not need to think. One just goes and looks, or simply makes a decision.

I would not belittle the attempts of people to tap into higher states of knowing. One can fool oneself by thinking one has attained a higher state when one has not. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

The mind is a fantastic invention, but some would argue that it is not man's "greatest weapon."

One can theorize a level of knowledge above rational thought. When someone alludes to "instinct" or "heart" that may be what they are trying to do. In the materials I have studied it is called "knowingness." It is senior to, and more powerful than, rational thought.

We are at the most dangerous crux of this particular topic.

That of distinguishing "Knowingness" or "Spirituality" or "Wisdom"

From

Emotions or Heart or Instinct.

To confuse the two would be most dreadful... and in fact, is the problem that I have been alluding to.

Emotions are not superior to the mind, they are beneath it, and subordinate to it.

Instincts are also beneath the mind, and in humans (Especially) they are subordinate TO the mind.

At least, that is how a human being (and society) advances.

Instincts are genetically learned behaviors.

They are formed through pure Darwinian selection.

Emotions are reactions to our perception of value.

Instinct can not look forward.

Emotions can not look forward.

Wisdom, and "Spirituality" (Which is another way of saying wisdom), is a Mental ability.

It is the same with intuition.... it is neither a Instinct, nor an emotion... it is founded on the mind.

It may be that rational thought is looked on as man's greatest weapon. But it is also his Achilles heal! For the mind can be booby-trapped so that it will perceive things that are not real or are not true.

The Instinct does not have the ability to learn and adapt.

The emotion does not have the ability to plan, plot, or postulate.

The mind may be able to be fooled, or tricked...

But that does not mean that the Emotion or Instinct can do what the mind is capable of.

I would not belittle the attempts of people to tap into higher states of knowing.

Nor would I.... my distinction (Point) is that the Emotions, and the Instinct are being lauded *AS* Enlightenment, Spirituality, and Wisdom (Knowingness)

This is the problem.

IT is a trick designed to stunt your growth, by telling you that the highest state of man is that of emotion.... or instinct.

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It's all about soul evolution. Using the energy centers, we begin to evolve. Going up from basic primal survival instincts, red chakra/energy center, to the white/crown chakra. When an entity opens it's green/heart chakra, reincarnation ceases to be automatic and the entity begins to choose it's lifetimes. It's like you are a prism of light, and each color is already potentiated, all you have to do is activate it. As you move up the chakra system, you begin to become more and more enlightened and listening to your instincts becomes a natural part of the process.

The soul resides in the heart. All of your guidance or instincts come from your higher self - this is felt in the heart. Have you ever had a decision to make and decided on one thing, only to feel 'heavy' about the decision? That is going against what your soul is telling you. If you feel light or a 'happy heart' this is the decision to follow.

Your higher/future self attempts to guide you through your chosen path. You can choose whatever you like, but if it goes against the grain, you will feel it and the karmic or magnetic effect will most likely be felt at some point.

Supernatural abilities reside in all of us, it is up to us to realize this.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

It's all about soul evolution. Using the energy centers

(Proof Plz!)

The soul resides in the heart. All of your guidance or instincts come from your higher self - this is felt in the heart.

(Citation Needed)

If you feel light or a 'happy heart' this is the decision to follow.

(Citation Needed)

You are reading this text (My post) on a screen that uses highly advanced electromagnetic engineering to project the proper mix of colors, and shades to represent a form of symbolic communication known as Words.

These words are formatted, stored, transmitted, and archived through several extremely complex mathematical algorithms that determine rapid pulses of predetermined quantity to be information of a set type.

These systems work together seamlessly, and allow rapid communication throughout the world, to almost every individual on the planet.

These systems work predictably, repeatably, and reliably.

Your food is planted, grown, harvested, and transported to you on a massive scale that is necessary for the survival of billions of individuals.

Made possible by the Invention, design, and construction of countless labor saving machines that are required for a agricultural civilization of this magnitude.

All of these things are necessary for your survival, communication, discourse, and further education.

Tell me... what do your chakras do, that actually matter to your survival?

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
To their emotions?

You have heard it all before, probably...

"Listen to your Heart!"

"Let your feelings Guide you!"

... "listen to your gut".
"He's a pain in the neck"... etc., etc., etc.

It has nothing to do with "supernatural". People have been saying such things for *ages*, thousands of years. That's because people, when they speak without thinking, actually express themselves more accurately, closer to the invisible truth of their perception, than when they speak from their "head". They are referring to the so-called subtle physiology.

There's a good scholarly book about this, it's called "The Origins of European Thought" (Onians is the name of the author). It doesn't explain the psychology behind it, but it's still very good.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

(Proof Plz!)

Can you define the exact parameters of what would constitute "proof"?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

Just because something is classified by humanity *not even all of it at that* does not mean it doesn't exist and is thusly "natural". Human classifications does not dictate reality.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ethereal Gargoyle

(Proof Plz!)

Can you define the exact parameters of what would constitute "proof"?

Proof:
1. any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something
2. a formal series of statements showing that if one thing is true something else necessarily follows from it
3. validation: the act of validating; finding or testing the truth of something

I can prove to you that Intellect, Creativity, and Reason are necessary for your survival.

Can you prove that "Chakras" even exist?

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Edrick

Just because something is classified by humanity *not even all of it at that* does not mean it doesn't exist and is thusly "natural". Human classifications does not dictate reality.

But human classification does dictate how we interact with reality.

You are going to have a hard time planting crops, if you don't know what a crop is, or a plant, or a seed, or dirt....

Or even if you view all of reality as yourself.

Reason is a Requirement for Human Life.

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

You forget that "proof" is a subjective term. What constitutes proof to one person does not necessarily constitute proof to another. If you are looking for emprical proof of things that by their nature aren't a part of what we call material existance then you are attempting to find a peice of amber with a metal detector.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

But once again. It does not dictate reality. It affects our perception of reality to be sure but it simply does not dictate reality.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Edrick

You forget that "proof" is a subjective term. What constitutes proof to one person does not necessarily constitute proof to another. If you are looking for emprical proof of things that aren't by their nature aren't a part of what we call material existance then you are attempting to find a peice of amber with a metal detector.

Then why bother bringing this topic into a discussion about survival in this material existence?

(Second Line)

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Edrick

But once again. It does not dictate reality. It affects our perception of reality to be sure but it simply does not dictate reality.

It dictates the context in which we interact with reality in order to survive.

One cannot eat faith.

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

I take it you are assuming "faith" is a destructive thing?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Edrick

I take it you are assuming "faith" is a destructive thing?

(Chuckle)

No, I am assuming that it is not constructive, or productive.

I am also assuming that Faith has no caloric content, nutritional value, or vitamins.

-Edrick

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Proof:
1. any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something
2. a formal series of statements showing that if one thing is true something else necessarily follows from it
3. validation: the act of validating; finding or testing the truth of something

I can prove to you that Intellect, Creativity, and Reason are necessary for your survival.

Can you prove that "Chakras" even exist?

-Edrick

You have to define FACTUAL, first.
It's not as easy as it looks. People have come to use this term by inertia, *assuming* a common definition of this word. But there is no such thing as a common definition of "factual", that's why I asked for *your* definition.
Semantics *are* important and they *can* be biased - and that's a FACT.

Sophistic reasoning can prove and has "proved" that a turtle can outrun the world's fastest runner. It's *proven* based on a set of chosen parameters, but that doesn't make it true.

By the same token you would have to define first what "intellect", "creativity" and "reason" ARE before proving anything.

And anyway, not everything is about *survival*.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join