It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Fallout - The Survivor Chronicles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hello All!

This will be my first attempt at Collaborative writing, so bear with me (just received Writer status this evening).

Here is a loose interpretation of the ideas that I have for this story, so I am open to suggestions or anyone that thinks they may be interested. I just wanted to put down the basics here, and get some pointers before I started the actual story (this will also give me time to get started on it in the background!).

Time Period: 2015

Place: I really had the Texas and the eastern New Mexico areas pegged for the story to begin, but it can go anywhere in Texas from there

Story: still kind of sketchy in my mind, but along these lines

- Main Character to be a male, with family members and close friends and colleagues. More than likely he will just be the average Joe career wise, but will have great common sense, and a keen sense of survival from being raised in the desert/mountainous region. Characters can be just about any type....all American parents, maybe a brother that is a conspiracy theorist and keeps tabs on the military and black projects. Maybe a sister that has gone by the wayside and is a stripper and the black sheep of the family...lol. A core group of friends and colleagues to be sprinkled throughout the storyline.

- I was thinking of a nuclear exchange between the US and a rogue nation...not really sure which one, guess it does not matter, as the story will be centered on the survivors in Texas (any suggestions?). I was thinking that it would be post nuclear in the region, but people are able to move around....so not really the epicenter. The city will be pretty much rendered useless, and social decay will start in earnest. I will have the characters maybe form a group of survivors, I had envisioned them surviving for a while in the city or suburbs, but eventually moving out into the mountainous desert areas

I will come up with character names and Bio's as soon as I can, hopefully in the next few days. I will also get started on the first installment so that anyone that wants to be involved can go ahead and do so. the guidelines above are just that....I know this is collaborative writing, I just wanted to give everyone a feel for the vibe and general direction that I wanted the story to go in....from there, it is all up in the air!

Hope to hear from some of you other writers soon!

NOTE - Please wait until I get the character names, first installment, etc put up before you start writing. If you have any suggestions for character names and bio's I am all ears. Thanks.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by desertdreamer]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I was thinking of the following for characters to get started:

Main Character (male):Lake Smith
His girlfriend:Harley Loveless
His Father:Sterling Smith
His Mother:Lana Smith
His Brother:Brandon Smith
His Sister:Jenna Smith

Co-workers / Friends

His Boss (female):River Phoenix
Male:No name
Male:No name
Female:No name
Female:No name

Please feel free to comment, or come up with some good names. I can make some changes in this area if need be. Thanks.

EDIT: I just checked out the thread from TheMythLives, and WOW...very organized and well written. I will be doing some more preparation prior to starting the story so that everyone will be on the same page.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by desertdreamer]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
I was thinking of the following for characters to get started:

Main Character (male):Lake Smith
His girlfriend:Harley Loveless
His Father:Sterling Smith
His Mother:Lana Smith
His Brother:Brandon Smith
His Sister:Jenna Smith

Co-workers / Friends

His Boss (female): River Phoenix (sorry, it's just so appropriate)

You don't really need to apply a "name" to the nuclear exchange, in fact it is unlikely ordinary citizens would know, better to suggest an "unknown" nuclear test set off automatic retaliation software that lead to an all out exchange.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Excellent choice....done.

Also, good idea for the nuclear exchange, I like it. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Yea, good luck. Cool another story. Myth was very orginized I would follow his example definetly. He followed Masqua's and so on.

Just a little tip when you edit more than once just delete the edit tags everytime therefore you only ever have 1 edit tag.

If you need anything just ask. I look forward to reading.

Typo

Plus I love to proof read and catch the mistakes of others. Please do the same for me. LOL

[edit on 11-9-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Thanks Cindy, I appreciate the vote of confidence, and the advice! I look forward to getting into the story.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
this looks like it would be a fun story to write for and read. But I am already involved with 2 other stories that I can barely find time to post for as it is. Good luck and good job!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

No problem, I have lots of ideas. I am sure that someone along the way will find time to put some things in it. Thanks for checking in!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Rather than doing a working thread where we strategize and post ideas, etc. I would rather have that done via email or U2U (is there a limit on U2U's?)

I would rather do it that way so that just the story is there to be read. That way, potential readers will not see the other ideas for the future of the story, and can only see the story itself.

Any thoughts on that?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My bad this was supposed to be a U2U to Desertdreamer
[edit on 11-9-2009 by titorite]

[edit on 11-9-2009 by titorite]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

I sent you a U2U as well.....

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
Rather than doing a working thread where we strategize and post ideas, etc. I would rather have that done via email or U2U (is there a limit on U2U's?)

I would rather do it that way so that just the story is there to be read. That way, potential readers will not see the other ideas for the future of the story, and can only see the story itself.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes I do think you shoud make this your working thread even if you do work things out via U2U, when you sart the story thread it should not have any of this in it.

Also where people can leave messages not persay storyline stuff. Just saying, I will butt out if you want.

In other words sart your story thread fresh once the details are worked out.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Done. Started the story thread just a moment ago....thanks

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Please S&F once we get started if you enjoy the story!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I'm originally from Texas.
If you wouldn't mind allowing me to write up my own unique character, I'd love to contribute as much as I can.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Sure, what did you have in mind? I already have another member working on the opening section, but we have all the room we need to add characters I think.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I was thinking of a US Soldier who got pissed at the way the military acted during the attacks and decided to go back to Texas to save his friends and family and - I don't know what all you had in mind - but maybe join the Texas Guard or militia or something?

What kind of background are we looking at here?

I mean - where all in Texas or the US got hit by the nukes?
What was the response of the US Gov't?
Was martial law declared?
Did Texas secede?

lol

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Well all of that is in the works right now. Titorite is working on some of the background stuff right now, so hopefully we will see some of that pretty soon.

The vision that I had for this story was based in the El Paso, Alamogordo areas. Like I said, after the initial story begins to unfold, the storyline can take the characters anywhere in Texas/New Mexico. I would like to keep it mostly in this general area, but that is not to say that there cannot be sidebars/missions that take others in the story to other parts of Texas....say to hook up with other members of the resistance? We have toyed around with some of the following ideas:

- detention camps, quarantine camps, re-education camps in the desert. Possibly reconnaissance and breaking people out of them, maybe destroying them

- We want to have a part of the story with them trying to make it in the remains of the City of El Paso....or maybe Alamogordo or Las Cruces.....the daily battle for food, water, against radiation/fallout, security troops, private vigilante armies (being so close to the Mexican border?)

- We can make whatever gangs, groups, militia's, secret government troops, etc. that we want....the sky's the limit.

- I want to make sure that we use some post apocalyptic weaponry, technology. IE, things made out of what is left.

- Secede....that may not be a bad idea.....could be a catalyst for a nuclear attack, rather than an accidental detonation that sparked an automated strike. And I want to make sure everyone understands.....it will not be a direct hit on El Paso, I want the city to be semi-inhabitable....kind of like in I am Legend with Will Smith

I like the idea of the disgruntled soldier coming back for the family. maybe he could be used to train a militia....he could hook up with the lead character. Would he be AWOL....or home on leave? I believe that Titorite is writing the background starting at Christmas time with the idea of soldiers at home on leave. so, that may fit in with the character you are wanting to do.

What do you think? Post Apocalyptic desert, with nearby military bases?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Sounds great to me - I'm originally from SE Texas, the Beaumont/Houston area, but I can do El Paso.

Once the US Gov't made the mistake of turning on it's own citizens, this guy would have packed his # and left to come back home.

Pretty much my exact personal view as a US Soldier.

Fort Bliss is pretty big, I supposed he could have been stationed there or something along those lines. I'll toss some stuff together for a background and see what I can get going on him. I just don't want to step on any toes with background info. You said Titorite is world-building right now?

I've been in the Army for 8 years and can offer some assistance on methods and terminology if need be.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Cool....you at Ft. Bliss? I was active duty there for 4 years, US Army! Stationed there, but also worked at White Sands and Holloman AFB in Alamogordo.

I also live just outside Houston....not far from Beaumont! Small World!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join