It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Skinny on Sugar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well here it is the end of August, just in time for preparing the holiday baking ideas, yet cities across the country are coming forward with studies relating the dire necessity of cutting out sugar and rethinking the sweet tooth so many have grown accustomed to enjoying.

NYC campaign to confront sugary drinks

Sugary drinks shouldn't be a part of our everyday diet," Thomas A. Farley, New York City health commissioner says in a statement.

The health department's public-awareness campaign, which includes posters in the subway system and a multilingual Health Bulletin, will run for three months, Farley says.

Health department researchers surveyed adult New Yorkers about their soda and other sweetened drink consumption. More than 2 million drink at least one sugar-sweetened soda or other sweetened beverage each day -- some with hundreds of calories per drink. Sweetened-beverage consumption is higher among men than among women, and especially prevalent among 18- to 44-year-olds and among adult blacks and Hispanics, the study says.

This all makes sense if they were really interested in the overall health of the general population. But could it be something else that they are concerned about? Something that equates money, politics, control?

Food Firms Warn of Sugar Shortage

Some of America's biggest food companies say the U.S. could "virtually run out of sugar" if the Obama administration doesn't ease import restrictions amid soaring prices for the key commodity.

In a letter to Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack, the big brands -- including Kraft Foods Inc., General Mills Inc., Hershey Co. and Mars Inc. -- bluntly raised the prospect of a severe shortage of sugar used in chocolate bars, breakfast cereal, cookies, chewing gum and thousands of other products.

The companies threatened to jack up consumer prices and lay off workers if the Agriculture Department doesn't allow them to import ...

Ah, so this is not so much about the health of US citizens, but part of a larger problem that may affect some major sugar purchasers bottom dollar.

This does make more sense, and when I recieved an e-mail this morning telling me to stock up on sugar, lots of it, I began reading around, which if you doubt these two examples, I urge you to use your favorite search engine to discover for yourself just where we stand on price and availablity in the very near future.

As for me and my family, we love our holiday treats and sweets, so I am off to the grocery to stock up!

www.upi.com...
online.wsj.com...

[edit on 31-8-2009 by antar]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I probably will not be stocking up on sugar even if there is a shortage. Sugar is to blame for alot of our obesity and diabetes problems here in this country. I try to avoid consuming alot of sugar.

Sugar is almost like a drug to some people so if there is a shortage there will be some people who would be willing to pay high prices for it.

Hey maybe I should stock up some just in case to sell at outrageous prices to all the sugar junkies
It could become the new "coc aine" for awhile.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yes it is apparent that the ptb are becoming very concerned about our health. All the other toxins and pollutants are not the culprits of our national health problems and sky rocketing Doctor and hospital visits.

It is sugar!

Junk food tax idea gaining acceptance

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 23 (UPI) -- The idea of taxes on "junk food" to help pay for the restructuring the U.S. healthcare system is gaining popularity, experts say.

Public health experts and lawmakers in six states have voiced support for slapping "sin taxes" on high-calorie foods and drinks, such as soda pop, that they blame for an epidemic of obesity and its soaring related healthcare costs, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday.

WASHINGTON, May 12 (UPI) -- The U.S. Senate is considering levying a tax on sugary soft drinks to help pay for the overhaul of the nation's healthcare system, political sources say.

Unnamed Senate aides told Tuesday's Wall Street Journal key lawmakers are weighing the idea behind closed doors, which the Congressional Budget Office has estimated could yield as much as $24 billion in the next four years to help pay for an expansion of health insurance to all Americans.

Now who are these unnamed aides who have our health care over loads on their minds at such a time in history? So they are going to help people get off soda, so that they can make over 24 billion dollars in the next
4 years to help with the expansion of health insurance?

I thought getting off the soda would cut down the amount of need for health care? which one is it?

Feds urged to support reduced soda intake

"Soft drinks are the only food or beverage directly linked to obesity," Silverglade said, adding the center wants the Obama administration to support state campaigns aimed at reducing soda consumption and obesity.

The current rules conflict with those published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which advises people to choose a daily beverage containing no more than 8 teaspoons of sugar -- less than the amount of sugar found in a typical 12 ounce can of soda, Silverglade said.

How many of us who carry a few extra pounds myself included, drink less than a six pack of soda a year?

The FED? The FED is concerned and getting involved in US Citizens reducing their daily intake of....

Come on! The reports go on my friends, who are they trying to kid?

This has nothing to do with our health or the over burden on health care systems and hospitals and everything to do with money, power and control.

Stock Up!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Im trying to keep my familly healthy and excersise regularly, so its not a problem for us, however for other famillies who don't earn alot of money and can only get hold of cheap foods with high sugar content and various other chemicals and additives which are harmfull to the bodies, its harder as people tend to go for cheap foods!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I know and understand, however how many people look forward to having you deliver non sugary sweets at the holidays?

It is a personal choice but especially when tshtf, I may not be able to do many things I once did, but I can always bake! It is comfort stuff you know and it makes a big difference.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
OK, here it is: www.mercola.com...

76 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health

Contributed by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D
Author of the book Lick The Sugar Habit

In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may result in a number of other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and other scientific publications.

1.Sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defenses against infectious disease.1,2

2.Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body: causes chromium and copper deficiencies and interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium. 3,4,5,6

3.Sugar can cause can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline, hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.7,8

4.Sugar can produce a significant rise in total cholesterol, triglycerides and bad cholesterol and a decrease in good cholesterol.9,10,11,12

5.Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function.13

6.Sugar feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, biliary tract, lung, gallbladder and stomach.14,15,16,17,18,19,20

7.Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose and can cause reactive hypoglycemia.21,22

8.Sugar can weaken eyesight.23

9.Sugar can cause many problems with the gastrointestinal tract including: an acidic digestive tract, indigestion, malabsorption in patients with functional bowel disease, increased risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.24,25,26,27,28

10.Sugar can cause premature aging.29

11.Sugar can lead to alcoholism.30

12.Sugar can cause your saliva to become acidic, tooth decay, and periodontal disease.31,32,33

13.Sugar contributes to obesity.34

14.Sugar can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis.35,36,37

15.Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections)38

16.Sugar can cause gallstones.39

17.Sugar can cause appendicitis.40

18.Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.41

19.Sugar can cause varicose veins.42

20.Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.43

21.Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.44

22.Sugar can cause a decrease in your insulin sensitivity thereby causing an abnormally high insulin levels and eventually diabetes.45,46,47

23.Sugar can lower your Vitamin E levels.48

24.Sugar can increase your systolic blood pressure.49

25.Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.50

26.High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar molecules attaching to and thereby damaging proteins in the body).51

27.Sugar can interfere with your absorption of protein.52

28.Sugar causes food allergies.53

29.Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.54

30.Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.55

31.Sugar can cause atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.56,57

32.Sugar can impair the structure of your DNA.58

33.Sugar can change the structure of protein and cause a permanent alteration of the way the proteins act in your body.59,60

34.Sugar can make your skin age by changing the structure of collagen.61

35.Sugar can cause cataracts and nearsightedness.62,63

36.Sugar can cause emphysema.64

37.High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in your body.65

38.Sugar lowers the ability of enzymes to function.66

39.Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson's disease.67

40.Sugar can increase the size of your liver by making your liver cells divide and it can increase the amount of liver fat.68,69

41.Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney such as the formation of kidney stones.70,71

42.Sugar can damage your pancreas.72

43.Sugar can increase your body's fluid retention.73

44.Sugar is enemy #1 of your bowel movement.74

45.Sugar can compromise the lining of your capillaries.75

46.Sugar can make your tendons more brittle.76

47.Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.77

48.Sugar can reduce the learning capacity, adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders.78,79

49.Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves which can alter your mind's ability to think clearly.80

50.Sugar can cause depression.81

51.Sugar can increase your risk of gout.82

52.Sugar can increase your risk of Alzheimer's disease.83

53.Sugar can cause hormonal imbalances such as: increasing estrogen in men, exacerbating PMS, and decreasing growth hormone.84,85,86,87

54.Sugar can lead to dizziness.88

55.Diets high in sugar will increase free radicals and oxidative stress.89

56.High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.90

57.High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration and is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.91,92

58.Sugar is an addictive substance.93

59.Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.94

60.Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.95

61.Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.96

62.Your body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.97

63.The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.98

64.Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).99

65.Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.100

66.Sugar can slow down the ability of your adrenal glands to function.101

67.Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.102

68.I.V.s (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to your brain.103

69.Sugar increases your risk of polio.104

70.High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.105

71.Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.106

72.In intensive care units: Limiting sugar saves lives.107

73.Sugar may induce cell death.108

74.In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44 percent drop in antisocial behavior.109

75.Sugar dehydrates newborns.110

76.Sugar can cause gum disease.111

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit on 31-8-2009 by antar]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If this is ALL you consume then it is a problem, like anything else, but I do not want the FED bsing me because they find that I am part of an ever expanding group of people who LOVE sugar.

I am an organic grower, I am into the overall well being of my family, but I use sugar in good measure.

The only ones to suffer are going to be the consumers, the larger corporations will only stand to make greater profit.

Again money is going to be made off of us, the consumers.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is a planned strategy, a deliberate move to corner the sugar markets and take away the profits from generational growers toward a more controlled group willing to play the high stakes game of the high end profiteers.

Do you see how it all works in unison? They starve out the little guy who has been floating the worlds imports for generations to ring in the new inflationary back room deals, it happens so gradually, people will accept that it is whatever they lay it out as.

Look at it this way, when my Grandparents were growing up, they ate dessert every day, they ate sweet breads and drank sweetened teas and even sodas, they were healthy, they did not see the amount of diabetes and other health related problems we do today.

So what is the big difference? Just because you eat a diet free of sugar does not buy you a ticket to health, there are so many factors involved in the overall health of the worlds populations, too many to mention here, yet something huge has changed over the past 50 years and I just dont want to see the propaganda being played out without all of the facts accounted for.

I have known several people who dont use soda or eat excessive sweets with cancer, diabetes and other health problems, no they could not attribute their state to sugar, but if they had used large amounts of sugar, then we could blame all of the other factors on the sugar.

This is a set up. It has been in the works for years.

I love good sugar, question is when the ptb get involved is the sugar I consume going to even resemble sugar anymore or is it going to be the new sugar? Loaded with GMOs and a mere reflection of what was once a natural treat?

Futures prices of the commodity stood at 22 cents to a pound, the highest traded prices since 1981 – this, when the rest of the commodity prices have either been stabilising or falling.

Sugar shortages are reported to be the result of a bad monsoon that hit on late in India. Further, the vagaries are coupled with political policies that send mixed signals to farmers in the industry. The political class wants to play it fine in an attempted balance between a profitable industry and a satisfied consumer, engaging in price manipulations. When sugar prices shot up a couple of years back, the government had placed restrictions on sugar exports that led to a sudden drop in demand and in turn, of prices. With sugar prices at a new low, most small scale producers and farmers had little incentive to stay on the business as they shifted to other businesses or to cultivation of other agricultural produce.

With supply having been limited beyond what was desired, the Government indulged in subsidising exports. However, for the supply levels to be matching demand would take well into next year – that has led to the current sugar crisis.

ayushveda.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

sugar is fine in moderation.

its those nasty unnatural sugar substitutes like aspartame that are a real problem for us.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9593ed487e5f.jpg[/atsimg]

The sugar beet on the left has been genetically modified to trap less dirt...

The sugar beet is directly related to the beetroot, chard and fodder beet, all descended by cultivation from the sea beet.

The European Union, the United States, and Russia are the world's three largest sugar beet producers,[1] although only the European Union and Ukraine are significant exporters of sugar from beets. The U.S. harvested 1,004,600 acres of sugarbeets in 2008 alone.[2] Beet sugar accounts for 30% of the world's sugar production.

In the United States, genetically modified sugar beets resistant to glyphosate (marketed by Monsanto Company as Roundup), a herbicide, were planted for the first time in the spring of 2008. Sugar from the biotechnology-enhanced sugarbeet has been approved for human and animal consumption in the European Union. This action by the EU executive body allows unrestricted imports of food and feed products made from (H7-1) glyphosate-tolerant (Roundup Ready) sugarbeets.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

So with monsanto involved and the sugar being created with a pesticide, and having been genetically modified, this has nothing to do with the side affects of eating the sweet goodness nature provided?

Every single person who has ever become ill from too much sugar in their diet should sue Monsanto.

With all of the workers who made their living in sugar for centuries, without getting the types of health related problems we are today, does it not make sense to blame something other than the sugar for the problems?

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...:Search/Genetically_modified_sugar
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Funny this thread should come up today. Tomorrow (Sep 1, 2009) the
city of Chicago and the county of which it is a part, (Cook County)
begins taxing Sodas and other sugar drinks. I wonder how many
people will drink less because of this?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
well finely they have something to blame for the problem, instead of taking responsibility nfor themselves they will blame certain people who were only trying to make things convenient for you, and as they helped you you will so quickly turn against them and took them for granted as most people do, so you really dont know what its like. look whose trying to control people now, antar thanks for the NWO the need to control people because they cant control them selves, but i think ill teach them to be responsible for themselves so they dont have to have someone control them. by the way thanks again

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
From the publication "The Sugar Beet":

Attention Food Companies, We’ve Got Sugar to Sell

WASHINGTON (Aug. 19, 2009)—In a Wall Street Journal advertisement today, America’s sugar producers again begged large food manufacturers to call the American Sugar Alliance (ASA) to be put in touch with numerous sugar sellers looking to unload “extra inventory.”

The advertisement appears exactly one week after a group of industrial sugar users instigated a sugar shortage scare in a national public relations campaign designed to pressure the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) into importing unneeded subsidized sugar.

And the conspiracy reveals itself. But will people stop to discover the truths for themselves or wait and see how much this 'imported' sugar is going to cost at the checkout?

Their campaign centered around an August 5 letter from multinational food companies to the USDA saying that America would, “virtually run out of sugar,” even though U.S. sugar producers have surpluses they’re trying to unload.

Since last week, the U.S. sugar industry has been unable to locate a single company that doesn’t have enough sugar to make candy, cakes, cookies, or other sweet treats.

Looks like the FEDs are getting caught with their pants down on this one! And you still think that they are concerned about your health or the over burden on the health industry?

On August 12, the USDA released new data showing that the country’s sugar warehouses have 1,252,000 tons of surplus sugar looking for buyers. It also upped ending stock estimates for next year—an estimate sugar industry experts expect to rise further as imports from Mexico start flowing in.

“Hopefully your intent was not to intentionally mislead or scare the nation’s media, the general public, or the Secretary of Agriculture,” the sugar producers’ advertisement continued.

Remember that it may become more difficult for growers to get the contracts to sell their product if we continue to move toward sole alliances with south american companies for our agricultural needs to be met.

It is total bs that we need to start looking outside our own borders to suppliment our sugar needs. Just ask the USDA warehouse staff.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Here is the link to the above post. www.enewsbuilder.net...,bbndRFtr

Also as far as the need for some people to cut down on sodas especially those with innocent children is an important issue as well and I do not underestimate that problem, just see this as a definate conspiracy, a con.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

When we look at the long list above does it ring any bells for you? It did me and so I did a quick search to see if there were any links to pestisides which are being blamed on the sugar:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c96df2eafe5.jpg[/atsimg]

Animal and human studies on individual pesticides have shown that they contribute to an alarming number of health problems like:

Cancer
Fertility problems
Brain tumors
Childhood leukemia
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
Birth defects
Irritation to skin and eyes
Hormone or endocrine system problems
Nervous system damage

Children are especially at risk from the toxic effects of pesticides. Their bodies are still developing and immature, making them susceptible to such damage. In fact, studies by the National Academy of Sciences and the Environmental Working Group have found that children exposed to carcinogenic pesticides are at a high risk of future cancer and other studies determined that pesticide use was associated with an increased risk of childhood malignancies.

Knowing this information, think, then, just how outrageous it is that we shampoo our children with pesticides to kill head lice.

But all of these negative effects have been found largely from studies that typically focus on one individual pesticide. Who, then, is studying the cumulative effects on the body of all the various pesticides we're exposed to, and that we consume, over years?

The EPA's Testing Pesticides on Kids?

That kids are so vulnerable to pesticide exposure is precisely why the EPA chose them to study, and back in October 2004, they were given $2.1 million to do just that. Who were the granters of this large sum? The American Chemistry Council, a chemical industry front group with such big wigs as Monsanto, Exxon and Dow.

Note the very same names as the major growers of the sugar beets for worldwide consumption... Ding ding ding!

www.sixwise.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So this could go a few different directions, for one as long as they wish to increase the price of the seed (monsanto, one crop only) one way would be to raise the price of sugar which by all other standards has been way too low for over a decade or more.

However in order to do this with the already sky high inflation, the single easiest way would be to create a shortage, this insures hording of the available stocks in storage, and clears the way for the new orders which are nothing but a win win situation in the next couple of years.

What we learned from the simple searches in the above posts is that there are no shortages, but the warehouses are not sending out the product either, why could that be?

I know that if I tell my children that we are low on something, anything, that creates a desire in their craving for what ever it is that is in short supply. They are doing the same thing possibly to the consumers, creating a tax on soda, making it less attainable, more desirable.

I hope that it is as simple as that and that they are not holding back and hording themselves for some unknown event to be triggered in the coming few years.

If something catastrophic was to happen and we see the FEDs create rationing, then this could be a good time to start holding back enough reserves to feed 400 million people.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Im suprised no one has mentioned the public awareness campaign? What a waste of tax payers money. NY is notorious for this type of bs. They love wasting tax payer dollars on all sorts of publice awareness ads. In fact they buy oodles of air time on talk radio and blurt out ad after ad of their stupid crap. They especially love to buy air time on internet radio (NY stations), last time I listened to this one station I heard at least 3 different public awareness ads during one break.
Bottom line, I know too much sugar is bad, you dont have to remind me of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

True, but the bottom line is not about the health issues and this is why I created the thread.

What frosts me is that people in earlier times were able to eat moderate amounts of sugar and had no adverse reactions healthwise to it, but now all the studies point to the same serious diseases from sugar as from the pestisides that are used to create this franken gmo subsitute that is being passed off as sugar.

They just dont want to take responsibility for why our food is so unhealthy, so contaminated, it is not the food itself but the poison used to make it.

One day we will find that by genetically modifying food that it is changing us not only physically but mentally as well. What is the end game on that agenda? What do they want people to become?

We can eat all of the food groups as directed, and still we are a sick world by going against nature.

The same companies that are killing us are directing the politics of food delivery to the masses.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
OK so out of 10,000 member plus, there is noone that see's something conspiratorial about this issue? Ok, Ill go check out the zombie thread, I suppose thats more realistic than this discussion, pfttt.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
S and F

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Though some may say they don't care about sugar, the fact is, it is in almost everything we eat and drink.

I for one love sugar!

I will be stocking up on it............... OH - I already Have

Thanks for letting people know and all the info you provided.

If people don't want to pay attention, well that is their problem and they will be the ones screaming and yelling about it later.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join