It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture Of Me At Woodstock/Taking Woodstock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Ok, not really.

This Taking Woodstock flick looks pretty cool. www.filminfocus.com...

Even though Woodstock was pretty much a fiasco, I still wish I had been old enough and on the right coast to have been there. Only happened once and memories like that would have been priceless. Looks like they did a great job of recreating all the stuff that happened around the show.

Now that they have the three dvd set of the show, I may have to get that or at least rent it. Sucks that they didn't get all of it on tape - even those that were there don't know what the hell happened, when they played, who they played before and after, even how long they were at the festival. The real bummer is not being able to see Pete Townshend knock Abbie Hoffman on his ass. There is speculation about Mountain's set which I have heard was spectacular - the band wanted more money to be in the film so they never made it into the original and no one seems to really know if the Mountain set is really from Woodstock or not but I'd still like to hear it.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with a movie that has the Port-O-San man in it LOL! I wonder if they recreated that guy in Taking Woodstock.

Three days of rain, mud, bad acid, rain, mud, good music, no food, more rain and more mud. I would have loved it.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Sorry missed it.
Someone wanted to buy tickets.
Heck Hendrix didn't show up till the end.
I saw him Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company and
The Chambers Brothers later that summer in Flushing Park.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow, a response! Not the most exciting thread, I know, but it was at the time the movie and anniversary was going on so I thought someone would want to talk about it. Like many of my threads, they fail. I keep trying though and even get applause sometimes even though people don't respond. Weird, this site, things can get lost easily. Anyway, enough of that.

T&L, you got to see The Chamber's Bro's, huh? I know that tune Time but that's it from them and I don't even know what they look like. Someday I'll get around to looking them up and see what they were about. I was born the year before Woodstock so I missed notonly that but loads of bands I would have loved to see in their prime: Yes, Deep Purple, Rainbow(al little later, I know), ELP, Jethro Tull, Renaissance, Rush in their prog days, man, that there is enough to bum me out as I never saw them until '84.

Right, it's time to bolt and do some work.

Cheers!

Also, thanks for bringing this up and reminding me about this movie. Should be out on dvd sometime soon and I would like to rent it. Seems like the type of movie I would enjoy.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Don't forget Canned Heat and Alan Wilson.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.google.com...

All the shows
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

That should list the Flushing show but not official as
someone must have but put it together for a web posting.

There are many private recordings that are traded among collectors.
One must have put up this show on youtube.

As for Woodstock I had been nearby at a young age and knew about
the artists that lived there and was talking about going that summer
but thought better of it as figured the crowd would upset any way
to the real town of Woodstock.

The Canned Heat was sort of clean cut at the Monterrey Pop Festival
which goes up sometimes on Youtube but the Woodstock video I posted
before is fair use somehow.

www.youtube.com...

New link if embed doesn't work, a taste of Woodstock we didn't see.

Canned Heat - Rollin' and Tumblin' Live @ Monterey Pop Festival 1967
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 3/30/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I forgot to post after checking out that Canned Heat video. I had to go and check out their history - pretty wild but it was the 60's and 70's. Interesting the band was transporting drugs to make it to their gigs.

I remember the first time I saw Woodstock, it was only about 7 years ago. I was pretty amazed at how rocking Canned Heat were as I only know the two radio hits they had. It's also too bad that Mountain were left off, or should I say they left themselves out of the movie because they wanted more money. Leslie West has said they would have been a bigger band had they gotten that exposure.

WOW, spell check lets some odd things through, but I guess it is a word. I misspelled bigger with a n in that last sentence. Spell check didn't alert me but I do proofread before posting and caught it. I probably would have caught some flack for that one.

Ok, sorry. Woodstock. It really is too bad not everything was documented but it was what it was, eh? I loved in that Canned Heat clip how you can see the plywood stage about to collapse as Bob Hite is running around. It's a wonder that stage didn't collapse but I guess they made it just good enough. Bear was a pretty big guy it looks like and he's about to fall through.

Truly the biggest bummer is not getting Pete Townsend smashing his guitar into Abbie Hoffman's head.

As you said, it did cause quite a ruckus for the town of Woodstock. Poor souls had no idea what was coming, which is a big reason I want to check out this Taking Woodstock flick as it's not about the stage, it's all about the people who put it on. The relatively true story of the behind the scenes at Woodstock.

Regarding Jimi, I'm not a huge fan. Great player but his music many times leaves me stale and the hits I'm sick of. Same five songs radio stations have played over and over for forty years now. But I'm not a fan of Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Springsteen and many others that are beloved by millions and looked upon as sort of Rock Gods. Whatever, it's my opinion and really, would you expect someone titled Loony to think differently? It is a bit of a trip to see his set at Woodstock as I would guess everyone was so damned tired by then they just sat there. Hard to imagine a band ripping it up like that and a crowd sitting there almost zombified. Maybe I should take a few hours and watch Woodstock and Monterrey pop again, maybe I'll get a different vibe from Jimi's music and dig it more. One never knows but there is so much music I have here yet to listen to that I may not ever get to it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I'm planning to check out the Woodstock/60s Museum at Bethel Woods this summer. It looks very cool. www.bethelwoodscenter.org...

Any tips on other must-sees out that way?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Come to Halilfax with me and my buddies to see Slayer and Megadeth in July lol

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

Come to Halilfax with me and my buddies to see Slayer and Megadeth in July lol

Thanks for the invite...I'd be more likely to see Rammstein in Quebec City this summer, but that might get a little nutty for these old bones.

Gonna see some American coastline for a change...Cape Cod...but we'll be back to the Rock in no time. By way of Halifax/Cape Breton if we can.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Canned Heat sounded good on 'Going Up the Country',
"Work Together" , "On the Road Again" (the first notes
are all the strings on the 12th fret of standard tuned guitar)
and their rendition of "Rollin' and Tumblin' " the rest is the
buggy stuff with some good moments perhaps.
I had one LP with only one good song so didn't feel like
going for more with the songs on the radio all the time.
Didn't check out Jimi Hendrix until years after his first album
which I saw under some guy arm eating a slice of pizza next
to me. He said he was a great guitar player and I must have
said I never heard of him and the album cover looked weird.
He was a bass player so in the music biz.
Over at Rense.com there are stories of Hendrix being aware
of UFOs and made a couple of UFO related songs on his second
album. Chas Chandler put together the first two LPs.
I hear night time TV shows with a band doing one of his tunes
on a regular basis. A pay for play arrangement no doubt.
No LPs any more or must be hidden somewhere. I noticed a
Beatles CD had a mark but did not cause an audio problem so
I make a play copy now if I decide to play any CD that was a
LP at one time.
ED: The Chamber's Bro's were real tall and quite a few members
in the band, it was something unexpected as I had no clue who
would show up. I just thought Hendrix was sure to be there.
The next act with Joplin was a big surprise.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Nope. Never been there. I'm from Vegas.

Well, there's Fenway Park, even though it's a dump basically, but I doubt that's your thing. Baseball isn't much up in Canada, it's more hockey country up there.

I can't think of anything interesting in the northeast area, in America. I guess I'm just weird, I'd have a blast in Montreal or Toronto, go to hockey games, hockey hall of fame, other things I could do.

Not so much in America, even though the only place east of Indianapolis I have been is North and South Carolina for a vacation, once. I can't stand NYC or New Yorkers, so I wouldn't want to go there. I'd go to Boston to check out the aforementioned Fenway Park and the history there, but that's it and I doubt those are things you really care about.

I'd suck as a travel agent.

Have a cool trip. That museum sounds like a cool place to check out.

[edit on 4/1/2010 by TheLoony]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Not so much a Slayer fan but I do dig Megadave. He's a bit odd and such but his music is pretty good. I was a little disappointed with their set at Gigantour but that's because it's a different band than I had last seen in the Rust In Peace days and the songs just had a different feel to them.

They were the same, yet ever so slightly different. Or maybe I was so plastered that my perception was way off. That might have been the case as I drank a couple dozen beers that day.

Symphony X and Dream Theater kicked ass that day, I was sober enough to remember that.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

You know, I had heard, somewhere long ago, about the Hendrix UFO thing. Basically all I remember is that he supposedly saw something, sometime. I know nothing more than that.

Just looked up The Chamber's Bros., they really were brothers. I had figured that was just a name.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

Nope. Never been there. I'm from Vegas.

Well, there's Fenway Park, even though it's a dump basically, but I doubt that's your thing. Baseball isn't much up in Canada, it's more hockey country up there.

Mind you, we did win the world series twice in the 80s...Go Blue Jays!!

I can't think of anything interesting in the northeast area, in America. I guess I'm just weird, I'd have a blast in Montreal or Toronto, go to hockey games, hockey hall of fame, other things I could do.

Love Toronto...home port...don't know my way around Montreal...Quebec City is great, as is Halifax. Newfoundland is sublime...people, scenery...but this is our year to take a little ramble back to the States.

I can't stand NYC or New Yorkers, so I wouldn't want to go there.

My sister and her husband gut got back from NYC and had a great time...what surprised them most is how many locals went out of their way to be friendly!

Have a cool trip. That museum sounds like a cool place to check out.

Thanks for the tips. We'll be going to Cape Cod and Mystic as well...just love the coast!

new topics

top topics

join