It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GSG-5

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Now I have been debating whether or not to purchase the German Sport Rifle. This rifle is a .22 and looks identical to an MP5.

Was wondering if anyone had any input on this firearm? Good, Bad, Waste of Money, or Pretty Good Purchase.

You guys know plenty about weapons so I figured I would attempt to pick your minds

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How much does it cost? I doubt it's a good value for the money - it just looks much deadlier than it actually is. A ruger 10/22 will give .22 semiautomatic fire for $199.00. Add a decent scpoe for another $50 and a couple of 30 round clips + ammo and still not much more than $300.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

All together I think it is around $477 or so. That's without the collapsable stock or anything. I have not looked into the Ruger at all so I dont know what my opinion would be on that one. The things I have read about this gun is that it can shoot the cheapest ammo without missing a step. I will have to look into the Ruger.

Thank you for you input animals, I appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
All the wealth of knowledge in this weapons forum and only have one piece of advice to go off of?

Maybe its not that good of a question.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
go here:

www.ar15.com...

Ihave one. Love it. Fun little rifle.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cool Breeze

I love mine. Everyone who shoots loves it and comments its very fun. Make sure you get long-barreled with stock. Then customize the way you want it -- collapsible stock, rails, vertical grip, etc.

GSG-5 is easy to maintain. But I wish the GSG-5 didn't require 3 tools to disassemble. I like firearms that require 1 or no tools to break down.

Accuracy is decent for a .22LR. Before the 22-round magazines werehard to find. Now, you can probably find them at any gun store.

An alternative is the Colt .22LR M4-style:

Colt .22LR M4 Rimfire

This Colt costs nearly the same as a GSG-5. It allows you to train with an AR platform but using cheaper ammo. Plus any AR accessories can be used on the Colt. Only problem is the Colt .22LR is ammo picky. Make sure you test the magazine feed before using. If you have problems, contact your gun store.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy

An alternative is the Colt .22LR M4-style:

Colt .22LR M4 Rimfire

This Colt costs nearly the same as a GSG-5. It allows you to train with an AR platform but using cheaper ammo. Plus any AR accessories can be used on the Colt. Only problem is the Colt .22LR is ammo picky. Make sure you test the magazine feed before using. If you have problems, contact your gun store.

Can that Colt accept another upper like 5.56 etc
If you already have an AR you could also just get a .22 upper for it

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The GSG has been on my "me wants that " list for quite some time. However, I just finished a new mountain bike build and my wife would never go for it. She was pretty patient with my bike build. Maybe next year at Christmas. I will place strategic pics of the GSG throughout the pages my wife's magazines.

The .22 conversions are getting very popular due the rising cost and limited availablity of common ammo calibers.

Sig Sauer has launched several conversions for their most popular handguns.

That new Colt looks pretty tasty too. Although it is not made by Colt. I understand that it is made by Umarex. They primarily manufacture some excellent air rifles and pistols and RAM Marker guns. Umarex is also the parent company of Walther and many other brands.

God its hard to keep track of the conglomerates these days.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
However, I just finished a new mountain bike build and my wife would never go for it. She was pretty patient with my bike build. Maybe next year at Christmas. I will place strategic pics of the GSG throughout the pages my wife's magazines.

Ya I can understand that but your idea is priceless

I recently read an article about the Colt, it seemed to have a little trouble grouping and had a tendency to have some trouble with some types of ammo (Like one person mentioned). That article kind of turned me off of the Colt, but I have only heard good things about the GSG-5. There was some talk about light strikes but I think GSG-5 has corrected this problem.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Thats a rifle? looks like a sub machine gun with the short barrel and huge clip. Also does it come with a silencer like in the picture?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Yes it comes with the silencer but it is not a silencer at all, it is a fake silencer that covers the barrel. It is a semi-auto and the clip holds 22 .22 lr rounds.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Hey! I have 2!! Actually, his and hers, my wife told me to "buy two" when I showed them to her. I love my wife!

And we love our GSG's. We've put 300-400 rounds through them each so far, and are very happy with them. Accuracy is very good, shooting bench-rest at 75 feet (max at our indoor range) it will make nice sub 2" groups with our budding skills. Some minor adjusting of the sights were required to move the group to center. They are a lot of fun to shoot. We outfitted them with Sightmark reflex sights, but the iron sights work just fine too. I really like the H&K style, 4 position peep sight.

Also, GSG was founded by ex-H&K guys, in case you hadn't heard, and their experience at that company has certainly influenced the design of the GSG-5. If there is anything I don't like about the GSG-5's it's the cheapo plastic factory stocks. Luckily, I found a guy who sells real MP5 stock sets, which just so happen to fit the GSG-5, and they are rock solid.

All in all, a highly customizable wonderfully fun to shoot little carbine, and oh yeah, it looks really cool too!

One can choose to have it converted to a "short barrel rifle", and put a real suppresor on it, should one be so inclined.

www.mdshooters.com...

THAT is a hot setup.

edit to add:

If you do get one, pick up some extra magazines if you can, they're getting harder to come by.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by tjack]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I have no personal experience with the GSG 5 but I do own a Ruger Standard 10/22 Magnum...

Now I'm a big Ruger fan because the toys you can buy for a 10/22 are limitless! so if I had to pick between the two... well I already told you what I bought...

Now the only problem I've had with an auto loading .22 came with cheap soft lead rounds (No copper jacket) When chambering... the bottom side of the bullets was being shaved off... had some wild flyer's ...took days for me to figure out why... I only bring that up as your ammo can be a big a factor as what weapon you chose... Me I like the extra power of the .22 mag and can still opt for the cheaper .22lr loads

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by guppy

-snip-

Make sure you get long-barreled with stock. Then customize the way you want it -- collapsible stock, rails, vertical grip, etc.

-snip-

First though, make sure it's legal in your state or area to have the particular accessory you're interested in...for instance, I cannot legally attach a collapsible stock to mine, in my state.

It's different everywhere, so know your local gun laws.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Maybe your wife can talk to my wife
. Does the GSG come in pink?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You mean something like this lol

Pink GSG-5

Scrowl down to about mid page and you'll see it

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Now we're talking. Time to start my subliminal messaging campaign. I wonder if I could get up the ante and get the stocks in a Burberry plaid

Thanks for the pics!!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Hey man, do what ya gotta do!

No problem for the pics, I also thought they may come in handy in the near future

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by warpboost

I am not sure about the lower Colt .22LR accepting a .223 magazine in its magwell. It probably can. Do some research about that. If so, then just buy the upper .22LR and you'd be fine.

The GSG-5 is definitely tried and true. About 2000 rounds have been put in with almost no problems. Luckily, the only malfunctions I had were due to bad ammo that failed to fire. Strike on back was consistent with other successfully fired rounds. It happens with cheap ammo.

For the GSG-5, you can shop on eBay for spare parts and takedown pins. The takedown pins require some modification with a dremel tool. But once on, the takedown pins eliminate 1 tool out of 3 to takedown the firearm.

Yes, check your federal, state and local laws about which accessories you can attach. An important tip for any gun owner.

Some of the accessories are pricey with a few bad reviews complaining about quality and durability. But there are more good reviews than bad. So buyer beware.

Don't forget there are 3 versions of the GSG-5:

GSG-5 (Rifle)

GSG-5P (Pistol)

GSG-5PK (Compact Pistol)

For better accuracy, I recommend the rifle version (GSG-5). Having the pistol (GSG-5P/PK) and placing any stock on makes it a SBR. Which is illegal without the proper federal permit ($200). And that permit has to be with the firearm wherever you go. Same goes for silencer permits.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by guppy]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Ya I was thinking about getting the rifle before the pistols. Does anyone know the price of a MP5 stock? The fixed rifle stock that is the real version of the one that comes on the GSG-5.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join