It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Offers Course In Stupidity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

We honestly don't know what's funnier the class title or the hyper-deconstructionist language used in the course description. Only in the bubble of the academy is it acceptable to use these words and phrases: organicity, postmodern discourse, Beevis and Butthead.

180. STUPIDITY. Stupidity is neither ignorance nor organicity, but rather, a corollary of knowing and an element of normalcy, the double of intelligence rather than its opposite. It is an artifact of our nature as finite beings and one of the most powerful determinants of human destiny. Stupidity is always the name of the Other, and it is the sign of the feminine. This course in Critical Psychology follows the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, Gilles Deleuze, and most recently, Avital Ronell, in a philosophical examination of those operations and technologies that we conduct in order to render ourselves uncomprehending. Stupidity, which has been evicted from the philosophical premises and dumbed down by psychometric psychology, has returned in the postmodern discourse against Nation, Self, and Truth and makes itself felt in political life ranging from the presidency to Beevis and Butthead. This course examines stupidity.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Wow this sounds like a fun course.
I wonder what the professor is like?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Stupidity is the sign of the Feminine?

And if it's a class on stupidity, why all the big words and confusing sentences in it's description?!?
I'm to stupid to know what it's talking about!

The class sounds. Stupid.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Teaching stupidity to college students?

Isn't that like committing suicide in Buffalo?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I don't get the buffalo joke. And your other Avy was better, by the way.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I don't get the buffalo joke.

Both redundant.

[edit on 24 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Let's examine the dictionary definition of "stupid" by using language so intelligent it becomes unintelligible.

I was going to be irreverent here and make up the word pyschosemantics; but a quick google search shows that I was beaten to the punch and frankly... I hate people now.

I have an excellent vocabulary and enjoy peppering in a word or two every once in a while to throw my friends off but I will never understand the need of language like that of the course description.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I wonder if they have all of the professors they need.

Yup. More than qualified. Hey, is stupidity going to be a new word now? You know, kind of like gay, or dork?

Stupid is the 'new' smart?

edit for being stupid. oops...aint no fix for stupid, I guess.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I thought it was going to be either Politics 101 or Financial Planning and Internationak Banking and Investment Management 101 either or seem to be the relm of the most stupid people in the world at the moment

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow they even spelled BeAvis wrong... Goes to show that intelligent people have no idea what it's like to really be stupid .
lol

new topics

top topics

join