It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

aliens vs religion, what is more likely

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Aliens' abductions, and UFO's vs god, miracles, and angels

For most Atheists, the idea of little grey men in flying saucers flying around and taking people from their homes and experimenting on them is just as ridicules as god. Right now, I will prove that aliens and abductions are more likely then any god or goddess or gods man kind has ever come up with.

First, one of the most used phrases about the existence of life out side of the universe "if we are the only ones here, it sure would be a wast of space". A better example would be Drake's equation. Drake's equation implies that there are hundreds of civilizations out there that could communicate with us right now. If there are at least 6000 civilizations out there that are at our level, just think of some of the species that are beyond our level. Ones that have mastered interstellar travel, there should be hundreds in this galaxy alone and thousands across the universe. As well as famous ufo contactee Stan Romack wrote along with several strange equations, the drake equation with a little x100 after it, meaning that there could be more then Drake thought of.

Also, what if they were already here and we didn't know or confused them with gods. According to Arthur C. Clarks third law, and sufficient technology is indistinguishable from magic. Considering the fact that the people who wrote the religious texts in the past could never dream of electricity, our modern day automobiles, or our modern day flying machines. It would be far impossible for them to understand a flying disk powered by an unknown energy capable of thing that even today are only seen in science fiction movies.

Even the idea of Angels could be aliens. One of the most famous lines of the apollo moon landings was "the eagle has landed" no one today would really think (I hope) that they send a bird to the moon. They used the eagle to represent flight much like the angels or any other winged gods could be used to represent in this case humanoids who have achieved flight.

Even the idea that aliens are visiting us seems logical. If you compare it to say Gad, allah, or any other popular figure in religion, aliens always seem to have the upper hand. Like I explained earlier, there should be several aliens capable of reaching our planet. There are also witnesses to unidentified flying objects, many are credible like the pilots that are trained to recognize regular planes and chosen for their eye site and mental stability, as well as police officers that would be putting their job at risk for associating themselves with something like little grey men in spaceships, yet, they talk about this because they insist they saw something of great impotence and what they saw must be talked about. There are also several pictures and films showing UFO's, while most of them are fake, there should have been some group of pictures that inspired the fake ones.
While all of this applies to aliens, any god is still yet to show any evidence for his or her existence. I'm not talking about any of that "look around you, it's all his creation", no. Aliens had the guts to show us their ships and I expect nothing less from an all powerful being. I expect to see people walking on water and rising from the dead and parting waters.

Also, belief in aliens visiting us causes little or no harm to anyone. It might be slightly annoying but no one would get killed in the name of aliens unlike the name of god. Considering the fact that over the years, religion has killed more people then any alien believer could want.

TL;DR If religion can get as much evidence for their god as aliens have, then it would not be considered as crazy.

While not the best argument, this is made to get people to think, not completely turn over beliefs.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I'm glad to have inspired this thread (or did I)??

Anyway, regardless, I agree. I think what people see as angels, demons, etc. are merely ET's and or Interdimensional beings...

Wow, if this stuff is all true, it would be pretty incredible, huh?

String theory implies that there are multiple dimensions... Rock on Mitchio!!! That dude is my hero!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I'm glad to have inspired this thread (or did I)??

Anyway, regardless, I agree. I think what people see as angels, demons, etc. are merely ET's and or Interdimensional beings...

Wow, if this stuff is all true, it would be pretty incredible, huh?

String theory implies that there are multiple dimensions... Rock on Mitchio!!! That dude is my hero!

Well, hard to say. I originally had it here: marsmar.deviantart.com... and you inspired me to put it on ATS.

String theory, remember, its only a theory and alternatives are to be taken into consideration. Just kidding. It would be quite amazing, one of the great things about knowledge is that it doesn't just answer question but gives us new ones to think about.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
well, as long as you cant look at those two topics as one and the same thing, your never understand it.

religion is alien history here on earth from long ago....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
well, as long as you cant look at those two topics as one and the same thing, your never understand it.

religion is alien history here on earth from long ago....

the ancient astronaut theory, I've read on it. Shame that we didn't say LGM (litttle grey men) but rather GOD and caused human progression to slow down in many times during history.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I believe a belief in Aliens is a religion. IMHO.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
You know, speaking of religion slowing us down, and civilizations that are more advanced than us...you gotta think...where will we be in 800 years...I would say at least on mars, probably all throughout the solar system if not beyond.

Thing is, the Dark Ages lasted about 800 years or so...if we didn't go through that, then we would probably be colonizing space by now.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
You know, speaking of religion slowing us down, and civilizations that are more advanced than us...you gotta think...where will we be in 800 years...I would say at least on mars, probably all throughout the solar system if not beyond.

Thing is, the Dark Ages lasted about 800 years or so...if we didn't go through that, then we would probably be colonizing space by now.

All the progress we could have made slowed down by begging to an imaginary being and a zombie for forgiveness for being human. Shame.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by otto octavius

All the progress we could have made slowed down by begging to an imaginary being and a zombie for forgiveness for being human. Shame.

Actually, religion has aided the arts and sciences and even the scientific method itself came from a religious person of the muslim faith. So progress and religion are not mutually exclusive. I understand your point though.
I think greed, ignorance, hatred, self interest and politics have slowed us down just as much as anything else.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
That's a really mixed feeling idea - I have many friends who believe we were dropped off here by Aliens. Then many who believe in god, but I can't seem to find a solid foothold on anything, Religion ( especially Christian ) has so many holes in it, stolen ideals - so on and so forth. I guess one really could never know until you're picked up by the mysterious flying object right? I wonder if outer-space has an Ihop?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Originally posted by otto octavius

Actually, religion has aided the arts and sciences and even the scientific method itself came from a religious person of the muslim faith. So progress and religion are not mutually exclusive. I understand your point though.
I think greed, ignorance, hatred, self interest and politics have slowed us down just as much as anything else.

I would have to agree that religion helped with the arts, but now that we have a naturalistic explanation for things, we should stick with that and find out what we don't know rather then putting god in the gaps. Even if someone of religion came up with the scientific method, that does not mean that religion has guided that person. He/She very well could have done it on their own, much like how Galileo used science rather then religion to know that the earth orbits the sun, and guess what silenced him.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by otto octavius

Aliens are a given.

All I need evidence wise is the show that was aired by NBC.

NBC's Confirmation - Are we alone ? [ 1997 ]

Confirmation - Are we alone ?

It is a given that we are not alone.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Aliens are a given.

All I need evidence wise is the show that was aired by NBC.

NBC's Confirmation - Are we alone ? [ 1997 ]

Confirmation - Are we alone ?

thanks for the video, I have watched many like it. You might be interested in this upcoming documentary: www.examiner.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I agree with the last part, but I don't know about religion aiding science. At least not astronomy, because we all know what happened to Galileo when he tried to tell us that there was a whole universe out there... Not just him, but I'm sure there were others that got the shaft when they tried to introduce these ideas...

Weren't some treated worse than Galileo? He was just put on house arrest for the rest of his life. Others weren't so fortunate, if I'm not mistaken...

But I very well could be... I should have re-researched what I just said, but whatever. I think I'm right on this one.

If I'm wrong, it's because I'm up way past my bedtime and I apologize!

[edit on 8/20/2009 by impaired]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

I agree with the last part, but I don't know about religion aiding science. At least not astronomy, because all know what happened to Galileo when he tried to tell us that there was a whole universe out there... Not just him, but I'm sure there were others that got the shaft when they tried to indtroduce these ideas...

Weren't some treated worse than Galileo? He was just put on house arrest for the rest of his life. Others weren't so fortunate, if I'm not mistaken...

But I very well could be... I should have re-researched what I just said, but whatever. I think I'm right on this one.

If I'm wrong, it's because I'm up way past my bedtime and I apologize!

quite so, the first person known to come up with the idea of aliens and a primitive but very close idea of evolution: en.wikipedia.org... dared to think that the sun was a burning rock (also very close to the fact) rather then a divine being. He was exiled and died.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scifi Wasabi
That's a really mixed feeling idea - I have many friends who believe we were dropped off here by Aliens. Then many who believe in god, but I can't seem to find a solid foothold on anything, Religion ( especially Christian ) has so many holes in it, stolen ideals - so on and so forth. I guess one really could never know until you're picked up by the mysterious flying object right? I wonder if outer-space has an Ihop?

Some advise would be to compare theistic and alien believers claims, see what one has the most evidence and research it until you can find a good conclusion for one, the other, or even both.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

And we think us believers have it bad that noone shares the same views...

I mean

Seriously, that is so messed up what people did to others back then in a cases like that.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

No, that guy stole it.

He looks through topics and repeats them.

Don't know why it is even on here.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by impaired

No, that guy stole it.

He looks through topics and repeats them.

Don't know why it is even on here.

Actually I posted it here: marsmar.deviantart.com... on july 5th, his was posted on ATS on August 19. So technically I made the idea first.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
An interesting topic in which I have many mixed feelings myself. I was raised a Catholic and went to a Catholic school until I was 16. With my family being Maltese (a strong Catholic country) I also attended Mass twice a week.

I loved the idea that God the Saints and Angels were always looking out for us and fighting on our behalf, all I had to do was follow the bible, confess and everything would be rosy!

However, after leaving school and going through college I had learned about other religions and more importantly science. This was a very confusing time, what was the the truth?

Nowadays I spend most of my time studying them both, as too many ATSers believe there are many interconnections between science and religion. As earlier stated by another poster I agree that art and science may go hand in hand, creativity leads to new findings.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. An interesting thread, im looking forward to the debate regarding Aliens or God, personally I thinbk the two can intertwine, just because religion said there are none, does not mean God has said it.

In fact I think I recall the Pope stating that we should welcome our interplanetary brothers and sisters.
Either he knows something we do not or just laying the foundation for a lie to cover the church's interests.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join