It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opening the Window on Foreign Lobbying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

In 2008, Bermuda’s influential reinsurance industry needed some help. Successive seasons of monster hurricanes in the United States, where much of its client base is, had cost these insurers of insurance companies [1] $22 billion in losses. Eager to avoid a repeat — and unable to change the weather — the companies and Bermuda’s government turned to something they could influence: The U.S. Congress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Animal]

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

In fact, the success was almost immediate. On June 26, a day after meeting with the Bermuda delegation, Thompson introduced a bill to give businesses and homeowners in hurricane zones taxpayer-subsidized loans for storm windows and doors — a program that could also save untold millions for insurance companies by cutting damages in future hurricane seasons.

WHERE WILL THIS END?

An examination of the records, which were filed in 2008 and cover activity during that year and the latter part of 2007, show how busy these special interests were:

* More than 280 lobbying firms collected $87 million in fees for representing 340 foreign clients, including governments, government-controlled organizations, political parties, separatist groups and a handful of for-profit firms.
* Lobbyists or other officials reporting under FARA contacted members of Congress, their staff, executive branch officials, journalists and others more than 22,000 times.
* Several prominent former lawmakers have signed on to represent foreign countries, among them ex-Senate leader Bob Dole (Taiwan and Montenegro) and former House Appropriations Chairman Robert Livingston (Turkey and others).

So now it not just us corporations that buy and sell our elected officials it is the corporations of other nations and other nations governments that do too.

This is simply out of hand. It is a threat to our national security, to our personal liberty, and simply makes our government reek with the stench of corruption.

ALL $ LOBBYING MUST END.

We need to reform the way our government operates 20 years ago.

www.propublica.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Are you serious? The govt. in the pocket of Israeli lobby and you want us to worry about Bermuda of all things...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

hardly mate. my worry is about our government being in ANYONE'S pocket. perhaps you should read EVERYTHING i posted and not just the first paragraph.

For example:

More than 280 lobbying firms collected $87 million in fees for representing 340 foreign clients, including governments, government-controlled organizations, political parties, separatist groups and a handful of for-profit firms.

You know, it sucks that here on ATS there is such a pension for attacking each other rather than actually discussing and issue. Something I am getting pretty sick of.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
You know, it sucks that here on ATS there is such a pension for attacking each other rather than actually discussing and issue.

On the positive side, it gives you the possibility to grow a thicker skin.

I just expressed my personal view of the relative threat these two lobbies represent to the interest of American public, feel free to prove me wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Your link is broken, can you please fix it so i can read the article.

No foreign entity should ever be allowed to lobby our government regarding any policies within our country, ever !

Any politician that cooperates with any any foreign entity or anyone on their behalf regarding any policy within this country should immediately be thrown out of office and charged with treason !

We need to back a lot longer than 20 years, and they've reeked for quite some time already.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
linked fixed, thanks fore the heads up.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Come on guys and girls.. This happened since the beginning of human civilization. This is not something new in our history.

Currently in my country there is a competition about the new airplanes that will replace the old ones... Boeing are make big moves to lobby for their side. We are not naive to believe that Boeing won't try corrupt some politicians to favor their company... Boeing already sent Hilary Clinton to advocate for Boeing position. I can only hope the final decision will be one better to my country based on technical decision.

Nothing new... far far away from that.. It's the same old history.

few names and you got the idea:
East India Company
Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie)
Compagnie française des Indes orientales

[edit on 20/8/09 by blackcube]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I suggest anyone with an interest in this watch this video: Black Money, a PBS DVD.
www.netflix.com...

Slush funds, front companies and secret payments are just a few of the illegal tactics multinational companies are using to fatten their wallets -- and increasingly, investigators are on to them, as this special edition of "Frontline" illustrates. Investigative journalist Lowell Bergman shows how the U.S. Justice Department is working with allies around the world to crack down on the billion-dollar business that international bribery has become.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

You do realize that foreign embassies are first and foremost economic lobbyists. Spying is secondary. Anyone who has you think that it's purely for political influence is misguided.

This is not a new thing, despite it being so glaringly wrong.

How about we just do away with borders? Problem solved. In fact, LOTS of problems solved!

top topics

join