It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Need $$$ To Be Smart - Learn Free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
In the offline world, many times I hear people complaining about how it's so hard to be educated now a days, costs too much, etc.

Little do they know that you can easily learn the courses for yourself for free, then apply to get your certificate by passing a few exams.

By learning things yourself, you not only save money, energy, and time, but it would also help you get to higher places in society.

Here's a list of free courses at top colleges being offered for free online, as well as many other list of self-education resources:

selfmadescholar.com...

I highly recommend this to people who want to get ahead in life and become more educated!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Thanks, thought you might like to know this is the first thread I've ever flagged. It's THAT good.

I've always thought education was too geared towards just getting a qualification, what's wrong with learning for the sake of knowing more? Most people who exercise don't do it to win a marathon, they do it just to feel better and because it's fun. Why should learning be so different?

Anyway here’s a little contribution from me.

If you want to learn Latin (very useful for understanding modern English and other languages related to Latin)…
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

A nice resource if you just need to brush up on some basics…
www.bbc.co.uk...

Always good for some interesting insights…
www.ted.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I hardly spent any money being smart (I've probably spent over a million bucks on comic books through-out my life, at the least)

I've heard about people who graduated from Harvard and such crossing the street and getting hit by a semi-tractor trailer truck while text messaging on the latest nerd fest.

But, what do I know anyway. Just what I read and see on TV and hear on the radio.

I'd rather be just smart enuff so as I still enjoy a good novel and comic books than be so smart I ponder the string theory all day.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd just as soon read about it than write it.

still though...I did like spending money going to college to meet the opposite sex

That was fun.

its late here.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I have taught myself several languages, including music and over a dozen computer languages, I have taught myself about international relations, philosophy, and much more - its about discipline - having said that I also have several degrees and there is no substitute for a University degree based education - it is not however the end all and be all - it just helps massively.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
More people need to take care of their own education and pave their paths for success.

“Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.”

~Jim Rohn

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

If you want to learn Latin (very useful for understanding modern English and other languages related to Latin)…
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

That is uncanny. Thank you for that link; I've been interested in Latin for a long time and recently really wanted to get more involved in learning it but the usual online resources are less than informative and assume a bit more knowledge to start with.

This sounds like it would be perfect.

I swear somethings up, the thread that pointed me here has a course on Chaos Theory which involves aspects I've been tinkering with in programming (so to find a free course involving not only the stuff I don't yet grasp, but the entire topic is boggling) but now I find a link to a course on another topic I've had a desire to learn about.

I'll get hit by a bus tomorrow now, I know it...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbylove321

This sounds great, I'm thinking on trying a few out and see what happens.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Learn for free and then pay to join your iluminati club ??
your illuminati thread how kind of you to help us acquire funds through a better education.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It's a shame these courses don't offer credit...good for self-learning though but I suppose the working world will always want that diploma

nice find

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I consider myself pretty smart and well educated and everything I have learned has been done through reading and online courses like you suggested. I was just joking to a friend yesterday about how I should have degrees in various areas of study by now but I dont. It's great to be able to take these courses free and learn on your own but it sure as heck doesnt help me in the job market! All they want is some fancy piece of paper saying where you studied. It doesnt matter to them if I am qualified all that matters is where I got the qualifications from and if its from free online courses where I dont get a degree, well then they dont really care. I do nothing but read and take free courses online and I enjoy it, I just wish the job market would like it. S&F! I will be checking these sites out too...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why all these "free education" threads recently?

Hasnt anyone heard of a library? The materials are all available. You just need to study them for yourself.

I guess the label of "Whatever U" makes this option more appealing? It's not like "Whatever U" is going to give you any credit or "Whatever Employer" is going to care that you've spent the last few years of your life studying astrophysics on your own.

Whatever makes you happy I guess. Just seems odd that going out and learning something on your own is getting all of this "that's a great idea" attention. Kind of freaks me out and makes me wonder what have people been doing all this time?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I was thinking this too. I have always used the libraries and other places to learn things on my own since I could read! I dont know why its a new concept to some. I guess some were too lazy to go to the library and check out books.
Heck the local libraries and book stores where I live know me and have for years. They are always suggesting new books for me since they know I am always reading. I go weekly to look at new reading material esp when its some online course I am taking and need to know more. I have found some very fascinating text books at the local used bookstore. I actually like to collect old French text books for some reason.

new topics

top topics

join