It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Senate Labels Protests as Orchestrated Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Perhaps you guys can help me out here, but I just read this CNN article and some of the implications are startling... or maybe I'm just making too much out of this... You decide...

(CNN) -- The Senate's second-ranking Democrat slammed recent town-hall protests over health care on Sunday, insisting they violate "the democratic process," while the Senate's top Republican accused Democrats of "attacking citizens" with such complaints.

Speaking to CNN's "State of the Union," Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, said: "We have these screaming groups on either side. That isn't helpful. Let's be honest about this. Town meetings are not bean bag. I've had hundreds of them, and sometimes folks get upset. And that's part of America, part of our process.

"But this is clearly being orchestrated, and these folks have instructions...
Source

It goes on to say that they think some Texas lobbyist is the one organizing them... but to me thats besides the point.
A lot Americans are informing themselves, through the power of the internet and by other means. What were once looked at as conspiracy theories now have a lot of backing to them... I mean, just look at King's last thread: Ponzi America
No way would these people think we could ever get this information before.
So now they try and rally as up and say that we are being organized?
Whats next? Will they say we are a militia?

I wasn't planning on talking about this, it just popped up in my head, and its going to be a really corny reference, but has anyone here read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?
Remember DA (Dumbledor's Army)?
It was just a name the students formed for themselves while they banded together to educate themselves. The ministry of magic found out what they were doing and got scared that they were taking arms against them.

I think this is a perfect example, however corny it is...
The implications of this is staggering.
Here we are educating ourselves, but when we bring this information to our ministry (govt) they get scared and group us together.

So whats next?
Armed guards?
Are they going to start calling us terrorists? The ARA maybe? American Republican Army, like they did the IRA?
Are they going to fabricate a name for us like they did Al Qaeda? an organization that didn't exist until they named it...
Is this the excuse they need to implement that marshal law? that dictatorship? that imperial power?

I don't know...
But for these guys to jump to such conclusions based on a few town hall protests is pretty disturbing... We are the ones that are supposed to have the power...

here is some more from the above article:

"We need to respect free speech, but we need to respect one another's rights to free speech, too. When these people come in just to disrupt the meetings, no, that isn't right," Durbin said.

On "Fox News Sunday," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said such complaints were "absurd."

"I think attacking citizens in our country for expressing their opinions about an issue of this magnitude may indicate some weakness in their position on the merits," McConnell said. "And I also think it's particularly absurd for the Democrats, who have over an $8 million e-mail list over at the DNC (Democratic National Committee) called Organize America, to be criticizing citizens for being organized.

"What I can tell you is that the White House is not trying to collect names of any Americans. What they're trying to do is post on some of these Web sites a rebuttal to some bad information," he said, pointing to rumors that provisions in the proposal might be used to fund abortions, cover undocumented immigrants or raid Medicare funds. "There's so much bad information out there, you can understand the effort to at least let people hear both sides of the story."

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Odessy]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
one bump before I go to bed for you early folks on the east coast.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

They interviewed this guy on NPR on Friday. Apparently, he gets a small group of conservative volunteers and gives them instructions to spread out across the audience to give the illusion that the town hall meetings are filled with conservatives. Ordinarilly, no big deal, if these people actually live in these districts, they can sit where they want to sit and make their voices heard as they see fit. The challenge here is that these people do not represent the average joe, rather they are volunteering to represent some conservative group and speaking as a small but loud minority. It's just sad that they have taken to these sorts of underhanded parlor tricks.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Is all political game one party bashing the other one for political gain.

People tend to have short time memories, when Bush was out there selling his SS privatization the same was going on.

But what the Republicans doesn't tell any of you is that it was them that created the biggest socialized program of all, "Medicare".

Now because they are not the ones pushing the socialized health care so they are cashing on people honest people that are actually against the program proposed by the Democrats.

To tell you the truth, I have no doubts that people from both parties are protesting just regular joes specially elderly and vets, but hey who are we are to believe, the propaganda or our fellow neighbors.

At least in my neck of the woods, the opposition to the health care reform is in high gear and I am from a mostly African American state in the South.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

thats pretty crazy.
Do you know his name?
I wouldn't mind looking this guy up.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately there seems to be no end to the effort to stifle the voice of the people!

When these senators are shocked to see so many constituents turnng out in opposition to failed government, we should protest all the more!

From the first bailout on I think the people have become extremelly wary of the government. It has become obvious the bail outs were in no way afix, a cure, or even effective. Since then, the people can see thier voices are being ignored!

So I am not suprised that Democrats, Republicans, those with no party affiliation are all becoming vocal, going to meetings and protesting!

The voices of dissent make those public servants uncomfortable!

So what are they to do? Deal with it? They will label it, so they can discredit the voices! That is the only choice...unless of course they want to listen to the people they supposedly represent!

[edit on 10-8-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yeah, I agree.
I think they are making that decision as we speak.
Label us as an organized militia with orchestrated attacks... or the truth, educated Americans tired of the hypocrisy thats being presented.

Now, I'm for health care reform. I don't necessarily agree with the way its being reformed, but it is clear something needs to be done. Our Healthcare is, and has been in pretty sloppy shape for some time...
But I hope people can get past the little details that seem to be separating us, and look at the bigger picture here.
The govt. is looking for an excuse to stick that label on us...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Look at the numbers and who controls Congress.

Then ask yourself if this plan was so good then why couldn't the controlling party pass the measure.

Wouldn't be no town hall meeting if they had rallied their own party.

yep, blame the protesters :shk:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

your post makes perfect sense... BLASPHEMY!

new topics

top topics

join