It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spook Lights

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
An update on the one for Oxford, OH. It was definitely headlights. The specific spot that you had to be in was purchased by a new landowner a few years ago. You can no longer park in that spot and they have added street lights to help identify those that still try.

The original effect was a result of a very long stretch of road and people's unfamiliarity with the side roads in the area. Sorry to disappoint. But since I live here, I am familiar with it and was one of the first local things that I helped debunk years ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Great thread BFP! I have seen the Joplin spooklight as well! I was 18, back in 1991, I was attending an OKC college and my two best friends were from Bartlesville in NE Oklahoma. I spent Spring Break with them there, and while we were there, one of my friends parents took us all up to Missouri to see this Spook Light. My friend's parents said they've been going to see the light since they were teenagers. And from what they told me, the spook light goes back as far as the Civil War.

So we head up there and being I'm from Calif, I have no idea how we got there, we end up on this tall tree lined dirt road. The road is about a 1/2 mile long with a few farm houses on it. When we got there it was almost completely dark. There were also a few other cars parked like us on the dirt road. So, now we waited about 30-40 minutes, my buddy and his parents keep saying just wait, while I, being open minded, am skeptical.

All of a sudden though, there is this yellow/white light about the size of a nickkel at arms length in the middle of the road starts glowing! As we sit there and watch, it slowly moves from one side of the road to the other, sometimes it seems to get closer and bigger, then seems to move away. It changed colors a couple times to blueish white, and red/green. meandering all over the road. My jaw was on the floor! We watched it for maybe 1 hour maybe longer. I was totally beside myself! Totally, 100% awesomely weird!

So, we decide we've seen enough and start driving towards the light down the road. The light seemed to stay the same distance from us as we traveled towards it, then it was gone! I hurry and turn around and look, and there it is back again as we drive away!

I tried to think of ways to debunk it, but I couldnt. The trees along the road had to be at least 40ft tall, there was a highway I think somewhere nearby, thinking it was some kind of relflection from the headlights of cars, but it's been seen since before that highway was there. My final theory, which I tend to think is the most logical, is that the spook light is a result of some kind of magnetic anomaly with whatever kind of underllying rock or geology is in the area. It is definitely the strangest thing I ever saw next to my childhood UFO sighting. If anybody lives near one, I highly recommend you take your kids, friends, family to go check it out, well worth it, you will never forget it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain
reply to post by Monteriano

Thanks for sharing that! That is an interesting story, certainly helps strengthen the theory that it isn't just car headlights.

That's an intelligently stated post, much more intelligent than a post saying it's not car headlights. I wonder if some people read the report, it sounds like perhaps you did. What the students saw was DEFINITELY car headlights, there's no question about that.

Now as you say it may not be JUST car headlights, years ago there could have been something else besides cars, like, I don't know, maybe stagecoaches? Or something else?

How long has highway 67 south of Marfa been in existence? And what was the road/path called before it was called highway 67? I'd look into those questions to investigate what it might have been before there were cars.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Great thread s & f for you! i never seen any
myself,shame.Nice vids.

in England we call them "earth lights" this must be the
same as the swamp gas theory is it?

my view is that it is to do with pressure being
placed upon that area of the earth where they show up
as stated else where.maybe to do with quartz in the ground?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Awesome thread. S&F for you.

I live not too far from the Joplin Spook Light and have plans to check it out. I'm not sure when just yet, but it's on my to do list.

Mrwupy, get with ATS member Memarf1. He can take you right to it. We were there on June the 4th but we didn't see it. We used to see it all the time as teenagers. They have recently paved the road, but there is still very little development in the area, so it should still be around. The Joplin/Hornet, MO one ws featrued on an episode of Ripley's Believe it or Not. There should be some very good, very high quality video and photos out there somewhere.

As for me, I can guarantee that it is real, and it is not a "natural" phenomenon. It has a "personality." It is sneaky sometimes, and it is very forward and scary sometimes. It can "surprise" you and dash away or it can charge and scare the living hell out of you!

The one in Mo, like many others is reported to be an Indian Maiden searching for her fallen brave that never returned. There are many Indian Mounds and buiral sites around the immediate area, and even a buried Indian Princess very near to the site of the spooklight, so who knows.

My Dad had a very personal experience with one of his highschool buddies that got up close and personal with the spooklight, and then ran off, hid in a ditch, and when he was found, he told my Dad that he would be dead within 3 days. 3 days later, he jumped out of a moving car without any warning and was killed. (Not my Dad, the other guy.)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain
So I'm pretty much just trying to gather information to see what you people think these lights are. Has anybody been out to see these lights in their area?

I have these in my woods, west of Boston. They are basketball sized orbs that flicker in and out of existence. I've reported them to MUFON and invited them to come by and check them out, but they erased my report as a hoax. I'll try to get some footage of them. They are quite common. I've brought many a skeptical friend out there to see them and they've never once failed to show.

However, they don't look anything like what I'm seeing in any of these vids. GETREADYALREADY describes them best with his post above mine. They are curious of people and once you are in their space they come right up to you. I've had them come within 2 inches of my face.

EDIT to add: If it adds any veracity to my claims, you can check my post history. I've been a member for years with hundreds and hundreds of posts and I don't think I've ever posted outside of the political section of this site.

edit on 29-9-2010 by METACOMET because: edit to add

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A very good resource for ghost lights and spooklights in the southern US that is regularly updated:
The Southern Ghost Light Directory on ThorntonAusten.Com
thorntonausten.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by resurgam3191
A very good resource for ghost lights and spooklights in the southern US that is regularly updated:
The Southern Ghost Light Directory on ThorntonAusten.Com
thorntonausten.com...

I haven't seen this, thanks. I'll check it out after work.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
UFO-like 'earthquake lights' explained by scientists

Wow. I cannot believe I started this thread back in 2009. I'm still on ATS! Anyway, I thought I would offer this link as a recent explanation to certain spook lights and earthquake lights.

What are your thoughts? I believe this to be an explanation for certain events, but not all when it comes to spook lights. I love how the topic is still being investigated! Great read.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
i dont have much to add to this topic unfortunately. it is a really interesting phenomenon. once i thought i had seen a strange light appear out from between a few trees that shot away before i could get a good look so i thought i had imagine it since no one i was with had seen it.
in australia i think theyre called min-min lights or something simlar to that, my nana said that your not supposed to follow them.
edit on 6-1-2014 by NZkraw1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beauty from pain

Great thread! It's a shame I haven't seen it earlier. But as to your latest post, I agree. I'm more than certain that a vast majority of these can be explained away by natural causes. However, there are indeed some that cannot as they seem to show an intelligence behind them. Sometimes (as a recent ghost show showed) they possess almost otherworldly abilities.

I don't recall what the show was named, or when it aired. But I do remember the topic being that of spook lights. They were there with HD video filming the spook light. They also had another team that was in the exact same location as the spook light, but weren't able to see anything despite the fact that the other team (and other locals) were seeing it.

As others have mentioned, some lights have followed cars and even people on foot. One such story is of two young teenage children (13-14) in Florida that was chased home by a "ghost". I don't have a link handy unfortunately as this story is from the late 90's but might be online. Story goes the children were playing at their friends house when they decided to go out to ride their bikes. There's an old small bridge nearby that they liked to play under. As they were down there skipping rocks they saw a light come from the wooded area. They thought it was another friend as these woods are homes to numerous "clubhouses" and tree houses built by children in the area.

As the light came closer, they realized it was a "round ball" of light that maneuvered between trees towards them. Freaking out, they jumped on their bikes and started biking up the small hill that led up to the main road from the bridge. As they turned around, they were frightened to see the light go up the same hill, make a small turn towards them and follow.

They of course biked straight home to the friends parents. Both boys were in panic mode crying. The family recalls hearing strange noises outside their home that night, like clawing and "mumbling".

So naturally, yes some of these balls may be nothing more than escaping gas from the earth and ball lightening. But I do not believe that all can be explained away.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm so glad to have found this thread. I live in Dover, Arkansas very near the area where the lights have been seen. We made one of many trips up into those hills just last night.This is the best photo I could come up with (bulb setting without a tripod so it's pretty blurry). The lights in the background are from Clarksville which is about fifteen or so miles to the west. I'm beginning to think they're coming from the Long Pool campground area. I know the stories are said to predate the campground but it does line up. Anyway, just wondering if you have any experience with these lights.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

beauty from pain
So I'm pretty much just trying to gather information to see what you people think these lights are. Has anybody been out to see these lights in their area?

Yes we have 2 in our area. The Pearson Light in Pearson, GA and the Axson Light in Axson, GA.

These have been known to the area for years. Most EVERYONE has been at one point in their lives. In high school we went all the time. It became such an epidemic in Pearson that the old dirt road was blocked off. We've chased it many times to have it go out and come on behind us flipping the tables. We destroyed a friends Camaro after hitting a dip at 80 mph while attempting to leave the light behind. It maintained distance and matched our speeds. I punched a guy in the face in 10th grade after he fired from the vehicle we were in at the light which had descended into some bushes and went "out". My dad had a similar incidence happen back in the 80's. His friend Earl (that should lend you insight lol) shot at the light only to have it go out briefly; then reappear. My classmate had vhs tapes from high school where we attempted to make a crappy documentary only to lose interest. (Girls)

My fiancé and I actually had our first date at the pearson light a few years back. Didn't see the light but we did get bogged down and spent a hour trying to flash another car down the road who thought WE were the light lol.

So glad I found this thread. It's what got me hooked on the unexplained. S&F!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join