It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music in 2002 was more positive than today's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
www.musicoutfitters.com...

I have just been going through checking out the songs I remember on this list. From the girl singers like Michelle Branch to the bands like Our lady peace and Creed, even to Eminem. His song "Sing for the moment," it's really positive and he keeps talking about the moment and right now, like parts of it were written by Eckart Tolle himself, lol, it's a compassionate song. It was like the artists had found something and they were reasonating a bit between eachother.

The song "I can only imagine" hit the charts that year. I don't like most Christian music because I think a lot of it uses the branding as a crutch and it lacks quality. But this song is great!

But I don't really get these vibes from music after 2002, were the writers too influencing and the inspiring songs were rejected from the people who choose what is going to be marketed and what isn't?

It's like the songwriters had found something new for a little while, and then they for some reason had to give it up. Because I don't get that vibe from 80's music or earlier, and I definetly don't get it now - maybe reasonating a bit, but not with the positivity. Like Soak up the Sun, or "The game of love" good examples of music from 2002.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
now what i really wonder is:
is the anything-but-cheery music a reflection of society and what "entertains" in our culture?
or
are "they" trying to bring us down...or hold us down...with music that inhibits good feelings?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Of course once you step outside of the mainstream then your arguement does not apply. Music is music, positive, negative and anything in between.

Once you get away from the manufactured, diluted crap that jams our airwaves and tune into something a little more underground, you'll see that good music still exists.

Like some people say... Good rock music died in 1991.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Yeah I think that's the obvious spectrum, but then there is that spirit of hope/hopelessness on the other spectrum. So one thing to look at is positive vs. not so positive, the other thing to look at is the spirit of hope vs. hopelessness perhaps.

A great song that came out recently "Viva la Vida" it is a great song but it is not very hopeful. It almost shadows all the foreclosures and people losing their jobs.

Eminem sang that song "Sing for the moment" with passion you could tell he felt sorry for kids that "don't have anything" and he was talking about how guns are not a joke and the image of rappers. "You know I'd walk a thousand miles" Michelle Branch, "I know you're out there, somewhere out there," Our lady peace. These are very hopeful, almost naive, idealist.

So I guess there is a second spectrum that I didn't really get into, that is really a lot of what I was thinking. That encouraging passion I guess, that seeps into certain songs, it was more like they are singing to YOU, and they could pull it off. Now listening to new music is like finding a letter that wasn't written to you, and you are reading somebody elses conversation.

But I do wonder the same as you, it could go either way on the happy go lucky, vs. downtrodden styles we see.

Just going with my thoughts here.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, I'm just 16, so I didn't really get to hear those good ole songs. Every now and then I discover another old song from the 60s-80s. I listen to some songs my dad used to listen to when he was my age. Granted, I don't like all the songs. I think that music isn't as positive as it was because the world is getting more negative. But of course not everyone is negative.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Ah I see what you mean. I guess I should have also talking in my post about the avante garde. This represents a pushing of the boundaries on what is "accepted as the norm" by society. Artists and songwriters are usually the ones who push these boundaries first. I felt as if they were really onto something, and the avante garde so to speak was pushing humanity towards positivity back in 2002. The conspiracy here is that somebody, some elite, must have noticed and ordered this sort of thing to be shut down by the marketers of mainstream music at least.

edit: The avant-garde en.wikipedia.org...

I can really see how the Avant-garde can tie into the ideas of human "evolution" and spirituality. I'll probably actually read up on it some more, good stuff to know.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Novise]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

That is true, music is music. However the conspiracy slant is that the masses get the mainstream music. Not everyone is a connoseur, or picky enough to make an effort to find music they really like. But then again, I guess that music was mostly listened to by younger folks, older folks have their mind made up already on music but that doesn't make them a stranger to the new stuff, especially if they are around younger people or if they have kids.

top topics

join