It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Care Freedom Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Health Care Freedom Plan, a plan that reduces the government’s grip on the health care market and provides every American with the ability to access and own a health plan that best meets his or her needs. According to a Heritage Foundation estimate, Senator DeMint’s bill will reduce the uninsured by 22.4 million people in just 5 years. The legislation is completely paid for by terminating the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) and forcing companies to repay their bailout funds within 5 years.

“All Americans should have access to health insurance that they can afford, own, and keep – and that the government can never take over or take away,” said Senator DeMint. “No American should be forced into a government-run system that limits their choices...This plan gives all Americans choice and access to the same tax benefits we give to people through their employers..."

“Under the Health Care Freedom Plan, Americans would be able to keep the care they have now, but if they are uninsured or unhappy with their current plan, they could access a voucher to purchase health insurance anywhere in the country. This will create a true, competitive market for health care that will lower costs and increase quality. And it levels the playing field so all Americans – regardless of their employment benefits or employment status -- have the same access to quality health care.”

"... By repealing the failed financial bailouts, we can give every American a tax benefit that provides them with access to quality, affordable health care coverage.”

“The Health Care Freedom Plan will also help bring down overall medical costs by reducing expensive malpractice lawsuits against physicians and hospitals and by adding transparency to the industry. This plan also ensures that Americans with pre-existing health conditions have access to affordable coverage through Federal block grants for state high-risk insurance programs.”

The Health Care Freedom Plan:
• Protects the right of Americans to keep their employer-based plan without having to pay additional taxes on those benefits.
• Provides Americans without employer-based coverage with vouchers of $2000 for individuals and $5000 for families to purchase health insurance. The premium for the average private policy sold in the individual market in 2007 was $1,896 for an individual and $4,392 for a family (Source: eHealthInsurance)
• Allows Americans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) to use their HSA funds to pay for insurance premiums, encouraging employers to contribute to their employees’ HSAs.
• Creates a nationwide market for health insurance by allowing individuals to purchase health insurance plans in any state.
• Provides block grants to states to develop innovative models that ensure affordable health insurance coverage for Americans with pre-existing health conditions.
• Reduces predatory and frivolous malpractice lawsuits against physicians and hospitals.
• Assures that every health care consumer has access to price information prior to treatment so they can make informed decisions about their care.
• Repeals financial bailouts (TARP) to ensure that the plan does not add to the deficit.

demint.senate.gov...

Edited to remove partisan bureaucrat speak.

I personally like this plan, although I wouldn't change the current plan I have because I am happy with my coverage offered through my employer. So I am sure there are many aspects of our current health care system that I am personnally oblivious to.

I would like to hear your opinion of this plan, the pros and cons, would it help you or hurt you?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I see nothing here about reforming the practices (and corruption) of all of these private Health Insurance Companices/Corporations...why not?

Did Senator DeMint forget to rent Michal Moore's 'Sicko'?
Maybe he only watched the first half discussing how many people in the US are uninsured...or maybe he's just accepted too many contributions from these private Insurance companies, to go putting anything in a bill which might actually reform their bad practices, and profits which they pillage and plunder from the American public and the rest of the health care system.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm
I see nothing here about reforming the practices (and corruption) of all of these private Health Insurance Companices/Corporations...why not?

Did Senator DeMint forget to rent Michal Moore's 'Sicko'?
Maybe he only watched the first half discussing how many people in the US are uninsured...or maybe he's just accepted too many contributions from these private Insurance companies, to go putting anything in a bill which might actually reform their bad practices, and profits which they pillage and plunder from the American public and the rest of the health care system.

Do you really think all private health care providers are in bed together in one huge conspiracy to pillage and plunder from the American public?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70
Do you really think all private health care providers are in bed together in one huge conspiracy to pillage and plunder from the American public?

No, but it's a fact that MOST (almost all) corporations put profit and their shareholders interests above all else.
Did you watch 'Sicko'?
Are you aware of the tactics used by Private Health INSURANCE COMPANIES to deny procedures and care to those they insure so that the corporation profits more?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Michael Moore's Sicko. You want to know how sickening American Health System is then you must watch this. I testify that every thing in this documentary is accurate.

Michael Moore's Sicko

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm

Originally posted by mhc_70

No, but it's a fact that MOST (almost all) corporations put profit and their shareholders interests above all else.
Did you watch 'Sicko'?
Are you aware of the tactics used by Private Health INSURANCE COMPANIES to deny procedures and care to those they insure so that the corporation profits more?

I agree that profit is main motivating goal of almost all corporations.

• Assures that every health care consumer has access to price information prior to treatment so they can make informed decisions about their care.

So with this plan you have the right to get on your computer and search nation wide and find a healthcare provider that will give you what you want at a fair market price. There has to be a few healthcare companys out there that aren't just concerned with bankrupting their customers.

A individual well get $2000 and a family $5000 in the form of vouchers to pay for premiums and care.

• Creates a nationwide market for health insurance by allowing individuals to purchase health insurance plans in any state.

Thats competition!

I watched Sicko, yes. Is anything perfect? In health care those small imperfections demand alot of empathy, rightly so. Life is not always fair and the sad fact is they are the exception rather than rule. I also do not believe the government is capable of improving them.

One of the issues 'Sicko' brought to light this plan addresses.

• Provides block grants to states to develop innovative models that ensure affordable health insurance coverage for Americans with pre-existing health conditions.

The gap between the profits of paying for care and denying care would be an interesting statistic in the price info. access listed in this plan.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by mhc_70]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have been accused of being negative and not giving an alternative to Obama care.

Am I to assume the lack of replies in this thread by the accusers can be chaulked up as hollow and with no merit?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I really like this plan in the OP. Sure corps are out to make the most money possible...and they do that by operating as efficiently as possible. Part of that efficient operation means providing the services that the people want in a manner that is satisfactory for the customer. Under free market conditions if the corp doesn't do that...say by denying coverage of conditions, then customer can go elsewhere, get better coverage at a better price.
Unless of course that industry is heavily regulated by government interference by such things as denying choice of policy from any state.

top topics

join