It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bragging about contribution levels in bad taste

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yeah I wanted to rant about these braggart whiners, that helped to cause so much of the flack about the recent ATS changes in how it does its point contribution thing...

Of late I see more and more people sticking their GOLD or Bronze contribution member status in their tags as if they are showing it off to the whole of ATS and how it makes them better than the rest... Trust me buddies if I wanted to know I would click on your profile to find out. Some members have even gone so far as to create new avatars that put the Metal contribution level back into the same place it was before ATS moved it to the profile sections... I mean Jeeze folks let go of the ghost!

Does it really drive you nuts that the whole world does not know your a platinum contributor with Ubber insight! Man you should just consider buying the T shirt....

That reminds me... I think I will Buy an ATS hat today.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No offense but does it really make a difference that somebody is proud of their accomplishments? Can you not just look beyond them?

PS...the previous words brought to you buy a person who never displays the accomplishments...yet it never bothers me

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Well KyoZero You have not been here that long and EVERYBODYS contribution level is publicly displayed. Both the Flag thing publicly and the Metal award Semi privately in peoples public profiles.

What I was ranting about were those among us that feel so empowered by their status that they put it into their sig or build their avatar around their apprentice/solid/bronze/silver/gold/plantinum status.

I guess what it is that bothers me are those that wave their thing around as a status symbol...

Thats why the whole thing got moved to the profiles to begin with... At first I thought the site admin were just being overly polite to some of the more sensitive members... but it as been a few months now and I can see that some REALLY DO wave the contribution around with a pride that says, "Look at me in awe"

LOL....

I am just ranting. I noticing something thought about it... thought to write on it... Really it was those that built their avatar around the contribution level that inspired me... I mean they constructed their own artistic avatar and inserted their bronze status exactly in the same spot where it used to be along with their "Stunning insight" beneath.

I looked at that and thought. "By god They enjoy showing off" Previously it was just in that persons sig but then they went the extra mile...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Am I ok titorite, or am I bragging insecurely too?

Btw, "platinum" is a mod thing, the one after "gold" is "cosmic."

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well your musings and ponderings appear to be in line with my thought police.

My rant is about those that those have been pimping wisdom in there sigs or constructing avatars around their special level.

As a Cosmic man yourself what say you?

Is an apprentice contributor bragging to link the image of the apprentice contributor in their sig?

Are the bragging when they build their whole avatar around their contribution status?

I aint saying the attention to detail is not impressive.... But I do think it is a misguided to place such high importance on the whole contribution thingee that one puts the contribution thingee back into the place where the site admin removed it from...

Meh,

I am ranting all the same.
So what do I know... aside from my own thoughts and perceptions of this reality we may or may not share...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
reply to post by schrodingers dog

As a Cosmic man yourself what say you?

Well, if I am any indication, it shows you that repetition and nincompoopery rather than intelligent contribution is the way to achieve such lofty labels.

Meh, I see what you're saying t, but honestly, if folk are proud of their achievements what's the harm of letting them display it. Heck, some might even have made "my d-ego is an ATS solid member" bumper stickers.

Watch those be available at the ATS store soon.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yes I have only been here a year...that clearly means my ideas aren't important but my point still stands...who cares if they show them? Just look beyond them I say

ah well

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

People are going to brag about everything. Online..offline. You can't help it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

You are soooooo a deep thinker.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Maybe I'm just modest, cos it really does'nt bother me at all ---ain't even got ANY colour on mine !!
sure don't lose any sleep over it

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Me nither... I just saw something thought of the rant section... thought to expound upon my rant... I mean heck I dont visit the BTS section too often.... thought I should rant on something and that the something I would rant on should be on rantable quality....

RANT!!!

Heheheh

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

You go for it baby and RANT away !!!!

I will just continue to be a nobody-----
colourless and apprentice like----and totally unphased by it all !!!

:bash:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
my contribution e-peen is small

i is sad very

But seriously - it is a standard feature of any forum, some go to great lengths to quantify the length, girth and texture of your posting contributions so that they can be properly displayed in the "quick profile" shown in each post.

ATS is actually pretty tame on that front compared to some forums I've seen.

There was one that had like a spreadsheet style character sheet for each poster depending on their activity on the forum., it was ridiculous... and enticing !

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I think that was done because frankly, back in the days, members with 'shiny' medals drew too much positive bias towards them and it's starting to get unhealthy.

Now it seems to have done its job but I also noticed significantly lesser activity.

Anyway, I don't mind it. I think I was bronze the last time but it doesn't matter. At least now, I can act like noob or stupid or childish, make one-liner comments/replies, bla bla, yada yada without getting ashamed of my status!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

I think that whole newb think si such a crock

Somebody has been here for two days or a month or even 6 months and their word is somehow magically not worth as much

that kills me

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Hey---how many flags n stuff do you need anyway to get some colour ??

I really have'nt got a clue on that ????

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

To get color you need at least 50 flags.... After 50 flags you get your first letter colored in... And at every 50 flag point you get a new letter colored in...

Also If you post alot but do not start threads their is a separate thing to make one an honorary bronze contributor.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Thanks for that info titorite x

and talk of the devil---my first bit of color has just appeared !!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I'm sorry Titorite. I know I have a bit of hard bark on me, but I can only arbitrarily award you and 8.2 on the rantability scale. Don't get me wrong, it was a riteous rant, and it had just enough teeth without going over the limit.

I even think your rant has merit; I just don't feel it myself. Whatever makes people happy and willing to cooperate is fine with me.

See, I have a fairly good handle on who I am. I don't really care if people think I'm a whackamole. I hope to spread a little whacky insight and if a chuckle makes that slde down easier, then I'm all for it. Along the way, what I really treasure is insight from others. It's how I grow.

What does this have to do with the OP? Maybe nothing, maybe I'm purloining a femto-rant spinoff from your own.

I think the way in which all of US display or relate to our pointage and ATS banners really says more about ourselves than others.

Peace brother

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

To get color you need at least 50 flags.... After 50 flags you get your first letter colored in... And at every 50 flag point you get a new letter colored in...

Used to do that and got my status colored a bit, then I stopped doing it and it's gone!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join