It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie Plague II (A Real Possibility?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The Science Behind Zombies, Could it Happen?

This is a continuation of my last thread “End Times Zombie Plague in the Bible”. in Which I proposed that the biblical quote from the” Book of Zechariah 14:12” and the later addition from member “prevenge” from the “Book of Revelations 9:6” may be about zombies.

I would like to discuss the how and why of a zombie apocalypse from the probable to the improbable, and the real possibilities of both a “28 Days Later” type scenario (which we will call scenario A) involving living crazed cannibals who would only appear zombie like, and a more literal undead walking corpse zombie scenario (which we will call scenario B). Even though it is extremely unlikely the undead type scenario could take place, it is still feasible from a scientific stand point.

Unscientific, Spiritual and Speculative

1.Supernatural:
Keeping in mind that we are discussing a biblical zombie plague, and for the skeptics and non-believers out their let us assume for argument sake that the God spoken of in the bible is real. If true we are talking about a being of unimaginable power, if he wanted zombies he could make zombies. (Could result in a type A or B scenario.)

2.The Truly Bizarre:
(This one I put in just for some of the UFO fanatics out their) Quite simply, aliens/dimensional beings. Assuming aliens are visiting us, and are a vastly advanced as proposed. Then it would seem rather easy for them to create some kind of device that animates the dead as puppet soldiers or some form of mind control on the living. Weather this control would be telepathic, telekinetic, nano-bots, or some unfathomable xeno-tech. If we assume advanced aliens exist, and are visiting us, it seems likely that they could find a way to use our dead against us. (Could result in a type A or B scenario.)

Scientific

1.Chemical:
it is in no way out of the realm of possibility that chemical reactions could reanimate and stimulate recently dead tissue. The brain damage incurred from the initial death would cause the subject to behave erratically and perhaps violently. Although the affects would be temporary, lasting only hour, days, or weeks at most.

It should also be noted that mind altering drugs do exist, should some new drug be introduced whose side effects are unknown, it could cause extreme hostility in its users. (Chemicals could result in a type A or B scenario.)

2.Virus:
Viruses are very strange indeed, and some viruses can do some seemingly miraculous things. Some have been seen to reanimate dead cells for their use in replication, alter the cell and how it functions, and could even change the cells respiration. Should all of these somewhat rare viral “gifts” all be utilized by the same virus, and the person was infected on a massive scale, then one possible outcome would be the walking dead. (Not very likely, but still very much in the realm of possibility.)

Here are some basics on viruses and the extreme effects they can have on cellular functions

en.wikipedia.org...
pre-pg.blogspot.com...
www.jbc.org...
www.jbc.org...

It should also be noted that many viruses that affect the brain can cause disturbing, mind altering effects on its victims. Rabies usually only causes aggression in its later stages, but can also cause photophobia, hydrophobia, hallucinations, delirium, and confusion. Another example is the West Nile Virus which can cause personality changes, photophobia, and disorientation.
(Viruses could result in a type A or B scenario.)

3.Parasites: As many of you may already know there are a great many parasites in the natural world that have the ability to take over the minds of their victims.

Such as Toxoplasma gondii, Dicrocoelium dendriticum, Euhaplorchis californiensis, Spinochordodes Tellinii, and Leucochloridium paradoxum

Parasites lack the mutability and fast evolution of viruses and bacteria, so the idea of a presently living parasite suddenly mutating and attacking humans and forcing them into a zombie like state is highly unlikely.

But a far more real threat exists in this area, military bioweapons. With our ability to alter genetics, being as advanced as it is, it could be possible to form a new species of parasite which could cause high levels of aggression. The eggs and larvae could be implanted in a population via fresh produce, drinking water, flu shots and other vaccines and inoculations, or even air born. Once in control of the subject’s brain it would attempt to spread its young to others through saliva or bile. (Parasites could really only cause a type A scenario, It would take an extreme genetic makeover, and a lot of imagination to create a parasite capable of causing a type B scenario.)

4.Prions: A recently discovered infectious agent, not much is known about prion diseases. The most infamous Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (or Mad Cows Disease) causes a wide variety of CNS symptoms. Prions work by deteriorating the brain slowly over time. Although prions could cause zombie like symptoms in the living (staggering gate, slow responsiveness, aggression etc.) as far as we know prions have a low infection rate, and have extremely long incubation periods. So prions disease is very unlikely but remotely possible. (Prions could cause a type A scenario)

So as we can see, even though a zombie like incident is fairly unlikely, it is not wholly out of the realm of possibility. Especially when we consider the possibilities of manmade infectious agents.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Virus is not as unlikely as you think. Rabies my good man, rabies. Makes you walk, talk, and act like a zombie, now weaponize the sucker and boom, zombie jamberoo.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
well,consider the VERY REAL way addiction to crystal meths and other drugs turns people into a literal shadow of their former selves and zombie like...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
From a mainstream point of view, I think most people are accepting of the idea of a virus being able to do this. There are several movies along those lines such as the Resident Evil series and I am Omega (I am Legend). In both cases, the virus infects the living and "alters" them to a state where they operate on base instinct only -- "the need to feed". Interesting, though, that the need to reproduce like rabbits was never implied. I guess they couldn't put that in a movie without risking an X rating.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
opening of the 4th seal Revelations 9:7 the 4th horseman THE PALE RIDA HADES WHO BRINGS HADES WHICH IS THE HOME OF THE ACTUAL DEAD
(note HADES IS NOT HELL)
This is a timer for us to reognize what time is it we are existing in ALSO CHECK OUT THE OTHER THREE RIDAZ and there timers. SMH

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Since we are speculating I will add my thoughts.

First thing you need to do to prove my theory is to go spend a day in a mall if you can find one that still allows teenagers in unsupervised.

Have a large enough team to mount an attack on the bathrooms, dumpster areas and all the car in the parking lot.

What you will find teenagers in various states of sexual preening and some in the actual act of intercourse.

Sit on a bench and observe the teens walking by phoning each other and having a wild eyed , open mouthed stare on their faces.

Please note also that they all have a small device to text each other even though they are only a few feet apart.

Also note that the teens may sometimes run into each other or real shoppers.

The obsession to walk the malls is very strong. Tantrums and fits do sometimes occur when the teen is unable to find a ride to the mall.

It is my speculation that the malls are the breeding grounds for the future zombies of the world.

This is probably being made possible with certain microwaves and other teen soporific emissions in the mall area.

Watch your teens.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If a zombie attack were to happen, check out Max Brooks World War Z.
It will give you an idea of what a "zombie attack" would be like.
Very cool read.

In my opinion, the only way a zombie attack could happen is through a virus, like rabies or something.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

The pale horse, it is an interesting concept I am glad you brought it up. It definitely fits well with the discussion.

I have considered and pondered this part of the “Book of Revelations” long and hard. In fact I see it as potentially one of the most frightening and disturbing moments of the apocalypse.

Zombies have been a part of this consideration, but not exclusively. I always imagined that the when the 4th seal was opened the world would erupt into unimaginable chaos and horror.

I have had dreams in which the dead rise, people vomit forth their own vital organs, plagues of stinging and biting insects devour still living flesh, Some people turn into horrible mutations and monstrosities, massive storms and cyclones form in cloudless days, water shoots up from under the ground and is swallowed up into the sky, food rots and the remnants of humanity turn to cannibalism, close families and loved ones turn and kill one another without cause, and all of the animal kingdom from chipmunks to mountain lions leave their wild places and wage war on mankind.

But dreams like this are probably only because I watch way too many movies and read too many books about the end of the world. So you probably shouldn't read too much into it.

Thanks for your post

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lardo5150

Thanks for the comment.

I actually have read “World War Z” and “The Zombie Survival Guide”. I love books and movies about zombies, which is probably why I have put so much thought into the how and why of a possible zombie apocalypse.

But if the dead do rise at the end of the world (as I was speculating in part 1 of this thread), then I would imagine from reading the “Book of Revelations” and other End Times prophesies in the bible, that it would be a sideline event. Especially in countries like the United State, were firearms and ammunition are plentiful. So it would almost certainly be a minor nuisance compared to some of the other horrible events predicted in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

I am glad you brought this up. I would not want there to be any confusion as to my meaning here. I often times have a bit of trouble properly expressing my thoughts and ideas.

I was not intending to say that a virus, like rabies was unlikely to produce a “zombie like” effect in the living. I was more talking about the unlikelihood of a virus being able to reanimate a dead body and cause it to want to feast on warm flesh.

In order for a virus to make a true undead walking corpse type zombie many obstacles need to be overcome. For a virus to rid a cell of its need for ATP and/or alter its nutrition and energy source, be able to infect multiple systems in a short time frame, have the ability to reactivate dead cells, and be able to alter their functions and respirations (just to name a few).

These are not impossible or unheard of behaviors for viruses. But it is however, highly unlikely for a virus to have all of these rare mutations and abilities all at once.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Wonderfully put and a good point.

I always wondered why the sex drive of zombies was dormant. It is a far more powerful primal instinct than eating.
But I suppose making a movie were zombies take periodic breaks from killing to try and mate would not only make a very bad horror movie, but I feel (or hope) that the number of people interested in such a film would be very limited.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
i agree with the OP..

read this thread on actuaL ZOMBIE MICE - www.abovetopsecret.com...

your days are numbered.

literally..

when's the Zombie Aopcalypse going to start? why 1/15/10 of course!

check it out...

(click to open player in new window)

enjoyz...

-

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Zombies?

That would be cool!

I would go video game on them!

join