It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Map is wrong too.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
So, since our world seems to be still under the old science of things, no wonder we keep lagging behind.

What I can not figure out is, why isnt it fiXed?? Surly this cant be any huge dilemma, just replace all the school books etc. etc.

Maybe just as well keeping people in the dark...

Lloyd Pye uncovers little known facts about Earth's climate and geography.
How accurate is your understanding of the world you live in? 2009.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

As far as I am aware this map is accurate when it comes to proportions, well as accurate as can be for now anyways.

It is known as Peters Projection World map as far as I am aware as well.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
How many people think the earth is a perfect sphere?
Guess what? It's not.

The GEOID

The geoid, is often described as the true physical figure of the Earth, in contrast to the idealized geometrical figure of a reference ellipsoid.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/832e4f812d1e.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fecd39c2686b.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abb0dc5376d8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Good one, makes me wonder why the new Earth picture that was in a thread here a couple of days ago is a perfect sphere..

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
How many people think the earth is a perfect sphere?
Guess what? It's not.

The GEOID

The geoid, is often described as the true physical figure of the Earth, in contrast to the idealized geometrical figure of a reference ellipsoid.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/832e4f812d1e.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fecd39c2686b.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abb0dc5376d8.jpg[/atsimg]

I thought this was common knowledge, I always assumed that the sphere shape was given due to the atmosphere not the land mass.

What an ugly wee place

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

They left out antartica, or ?

I see most of the land mass is above the equator if Im seeing correct !?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
reply to post by XXXN3O

They left out antartica, or ?

I see most of the land mass is above the equator if Im seeing correct !?

Probably scissors that did that one

Its the only map I was able to find via google that shows it in a big enough format to have a proper look.

According to Al Gore theres nothing there anymore, Antartica melted, didnt you hear?
(sarcasm)

Im not saying the map is the best one to use, I was linking it to give a rough size as far as I have been able to find.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
GREAT THREAD!!!!!!

I am going to show this to some college kids I know and watch them stare blankly back at me.....

It IS amazing what we are taught and how much it deviates from reality.

... and people wonder why things turn out to be so different when they look closely at the world around them.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

you know that image is exagerated for the purpose of showing it's not a perfect sphere. but the earth is more or less sphereical

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I was wondering, if the mass is distributed so differently (I understand the exaggeration to illustrate the point) wouldn't that change the gravitational constants, the rotational stresses, and the fluid dynamics of the atmosphere?

I hope our climatologists are all well aware of these factors and including them in their calculations... but sometimes I worry that they don't.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Not really. You have to remember that the oceans are not in that picture. The oceans help to round out (or rather, smooth out) the shape of the earth. They are not as dense as the land, but there's a lot of water there.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I would love to see that geoid in 3D - animated to show it spinning on its axis.

Does any one know if I can find that anywhere?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

this video has some nice 3d animations of the GEOID

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well when lets say eight people order a baked potato "loaded" when at a steak house some folks get bigger potatos than others! I know I always do.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
WOW! thank you for that post. I never had a clue that the world was not a perfect circle. it puts things into there place., What we are taught and how vauge the info compared to what is truth and how specific it can be. I understand its inhanced a little for the point but i never knew that. But for me it leads me to turn another light on the theory that the moon is part of the earth and that a astroid hit earth way back and created the moon. I am not sold on that but its a little more possible to think that it could have happened

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
We are living on a huge meteor.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

SO WHAT?

Lloyd Pye is a scam artist, based on this ridiculous presentation.

He conveniently excluded Antarctica, from the bottom of his Mercatur Projection video. A more thorough investigation into the ACTUAL history of maps would be useful.

I didn't know that Mr. Pye was so ignorant. Well, based on some of the other claims he's made, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

If THAT was the only map he ever saw, and wished to claim it had some sort of underhanded purpose, then I say the man is either very poorly educated, or delusional. (I stick with "delusional").

Because, there are MANY, MANY other ways that maps are projected to represent, in two dimensions, the curved Earth surface.

A little bit of research and learning will show Mr. Pye to be a BS artist extraordinaire.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Good one, makes me wonder why the new Earth picture that was in a thread here a couple of days ago is a perfect sphere..

Is it possibly because the water "fills in the voids" and gives the appearance that all the low spots are actually at sea level.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I remember in middle geography class we did a whole thing about maps, including the Mercator projection. Never once were we told that it was an "accurate representation" of the Earth. We were told flat out that there were distortions, and that happens on any two dimensional map. So, the assertion that we're told that all maps are accurate is, at least from what I learned, false.

The maps that we used in school didn't have Europe in the center either. It had North America. This is because we lived in North America. I saw maps that students use in Australia and they had Australia in the center [and it was upside down from my Northern Hemisphere thinking mind!]. Maps seem to have in the center the land mass that you're in, from my experience. So, I'm going to call bunk on the idea that all maps are a "Eurocentric conspiracy" as well.

Maybe when I was in school, we were taught better than he was? Maybe the Florida school system isn't so bad after all.

Oh, also, did anyone notice, at the part where he was saying that there is more land mass south of the equator, that he included places that are most definitely north of the equator, such as Mexico, North Africa, and parts of the Middle East [I think I saw them as white anyway]? Who gave him the authority to "move" the equator, just so he can prove a point?
Not that I'm saying that there isn't more land down there. There could be, I've never studied it. But, it just seems a little flawed to include Northern Hemisphere locations in with the southern ones. Know what I mean?

The information about how the climate zones would be if Earth was perfectly spherical was interesting though. Though, I don't understand the transition between that and maps that well.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
the lack of reasonable proportioned proportioning in the 1600 map does warrant his questioning though..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join