It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Hate the British Royals?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I never thought I'd wind up writing a post that actually defends the British Royal family.

Please trust that I'm not doing so out of any particular love for them or for what they represent.

Just to get my own views on the matter out in the open: the Royals are parasites, but in the British body politic, they serve a useful function which I never really understood until I went to the US.

Any citizen of any country, I submit, has deeply ingrained feelings of true patriotism. This is not the chest-puffing blimpish, "my country is better than your country" nonsense: this is the kind of patriotism that shows when one's country is under threat.

These feelings are irrational and that's why the phrase "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" is so apt.

Certain of these irrational feelings are directed towards the figurehead of state.

Now in the US, that's the President. That means that for the hyperpatriots who conflate patriotism and jingoism, the President becomes beyond criticism: and even for more sober, stable types, it causes confusion. One American said to me once that she didn't like Bush because "he was a poor father to the nation".

Well, thank heavens we in the UK have the Royals to act as a lightning rod for that kind of irrational weirdness. We'd never expect Blair or Brown to be anything but (respectively) a shifty little self-seeker and a pompous fool so far out of his depth it's not funny.

But all the above is just preamble.

Time and again I come across throwaway references to how powerful the UK Royal Family is, and how they "run the US". I cannot tell you how laughable this notion is to me, but quite a few people take it very seriously.

Now I can easily accept, for example, that members of the UK Royal Family are just as shiftless and greedy as the next man (as long as the next man isn't George W Bush, who, let's face it, has set some pretty impressive records for that sort of thing). I can absolutely buy the assertion that they're invested in the Carlyle Group and all sorts of other shady deals.

But running the US? Controlling the world? Not in this day and age.

So I guess, with a sinking heart (because I know from bitter experience that a lot of the posts, if I get any, will be very poor quality), I have to ask the following question of the members of ATS:

Is there any actual evidence that the British Royals have any real power? They don't in this country, so why should they do any better abroad?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Hate the royal family,if i was PM i would scrap them immediately along with the house of lords.Sell all their fortunes,estates etc and put the money to good use.Not to fund a backward,elitist monarchy that has no place in the 21st century.I dont care if they are a good tourist attraction...as for Britains role in the world,we still have huge power,maybe not the monarchy as they signed most of that power away.But britain still has huge control over the world financially through the city of London...the uk is still a very backward,savage country when it comes to foreign policy,we have killed millions intentionally through it in relatively recent history.Most people still think we are the good guys

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I would like to provide you with your first poor quality answer.

I have no idea. Its all conspiracy, conjecture, speculation, suspicion and a certain dosage of imagination blended to imperfection.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Power is so vicious and mutable that one must remain hidden to wield it effectively, especially if one is to be oppressive.

You may think the "royal family" has no power, but i ask you my fellow open minded person, do they live a normal life or that of extravagance?

Do they live in castles and mansions or do they live in a measly apartment?

Do they have access to billions in wealth or do they not?

Can the Queen abolish Parliament or can she not?

The Rothschild's and the Rockefeller's are mere lieutenants to the Throne after all.

Look up "The Pilgrim's Society".

Who are the Pilgrim's Society? What do they do? How much influence do they have?

What is their agenda? Can you say "Illuminati" ??

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The Queen of The United Kingdom Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

She is head of the armed forces,
She is head of the Church of England,
She guides and advises the PM (Government),
She has the power to close Parliament if she needs to,
All laws have to go through her,
She represents Many nations and entertains foreign heads of state.

Is this not right?

I watched a documentary once which listed all of the Queens powers.
They were very important ones which implied that she held the most power in the country. But they are rarely put into use, at least in this day and age.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
How in this day and age we still believe in the divine right of kings is beyond me. How can one family scrounge of the british taxpayer for huge homes, servants to place the toothpaste on their toothbrush. Prince william was allowed the use of a much needed Chinook for a jolly on his stag do. harry was used as propaganda in the Afghan war. After turning up at a fancy dress party dressed as a Nazi. They are morally corupt and I say get rid of the lot off em.
makes me insane to think people think this is ok.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'll avoid making random, pointelss, off topic replies... others should do the same.

I like your theory, I discussed something similar with someone a while ago... actually they suggested something very similar to me. He mentioned there was some research which got him thinking along those lines.

One thing I will add... my 'ingrained' patriotism has vanished. I can understand why you say we have this... but I don't have it... at all.
I like the planet, I love nature but I am neutral about my country. I didn't create any borders... in my mind I am patriotic to the planet. I am in no way patriotic... I'm not AGAINST it... I just don't have views like that.
I guess in my yearning to distance myself from the mainstream I've distanced myself from innate strong feelings about where I was born. But at the same time it doesn't matter because I don't believe in borders.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I despise them as well however they do bring revenue in, in the form of tourism however I hate their stupid inbred monkey faces
Prince Phillip is one of the most racist and morally bankrupt people in the UK, Charles is not far behind him and the Queen lost touch with the real world about 60 years ago. You only need to look at the way they handled Dianas death to see what opinions they have of the very pesants that keep them in Champagne and pimms

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
the british should overthrow the monarchy. just rush the palace and knock the queen down on her fancy "bum"

ive always wondered why the average everyday british person hasnt called for the doing away with such a tradition. there was something on oprah where they got to film the preparations for a dinner there and the maids unpacked for the guests. they practiced unpacking for everyone several times!

The money wasted has to be INSANE! and just on day to day basis. i mean...why do these people deserve such lavish lifestyles?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Alot of people in the Uk are still patriotic and nationalist,i think both are nonsensical views.I think the new generation will get rid of the monarchy as its *mostly* not all,old people who still cling to such ideals,they dont really have a place in the modern world imo.And like i said,Britain is hardly the epitome of a country to be proud of.I know alot of young people who are proud of the monarchy in scotland is usually to do with football

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Who Are the Pilgrims Society? And how does it relate to secret societies and the Illuminati?

Please actually read this, www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

See there I did the research for you, all you have to do is read it.

By all means, check up on the facts. Just be careful how far you dig into this one, as this "Rabbit's Hole" is actually a "Snake's Hole".

You do not want to get bitten by the Snake.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is why i dislike them..... to quote Prince Phillip -

If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels

Source

I's this what they talk about whilst drinking tea ?

Lee

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Oliver Cromwell had the right idea.

Shame he banned Christmas and wasn't too keen on the Irish.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by slylee

It is a terrible quote.
But it could just be a very silly way for an old fashioned royal to say that he finds overpopulation a problem.
Im clutching at straws here

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Yeah if anyone got asked the same question, might be a dolphin, eagle, lion but a virus makes me wonder what kinda person he is.....

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Regarding the Queen..

Originally posted by LiveForever8
All laws have to go through her

I don't think so on that one, actually.

"Although the King or Queen can advise, warn and encourage the Prime Minister, the decisions on govt policy are made by the PM and the Cabinet"

(quote from the Home Office book, Life in the UK)

Of course, read that as you may -- "encourage, warn and advise" could easily be (mis)interpreted as something else.

But technically I think she is meant to be 'outside' of law making policy.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
rich23, S&F for you, much over needed debate is needed over the monocacy, its so symbolic an institution, head of the armed forces, police, prison service, post office, courts, security... etc, IMO we definitely need a boss.the queen has blocked white papers by refusing to sign them. the royal family does not lead quite the flamboyant life style were are lead to believe, all that civic functions and ceremonial parades, the running of charities and opening of civic buildings, Jeez do they get any real time to themselves, we might think we would like to live that lifestyle but what a pain.... just my opinion,

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Oh, and in regards to my previous post -- I'm not a Royalist or anything of the sort.

To be honest, I don't see much real value in what they do or represent anymore. Nowadays, they're just a symbolic representation of the old British Empire.

They certainly don't 'add' any value to modern day Britain, IMO, and my life and existance isn't any better with them about.

(looks for MI5 peering around the hedges....)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The Queen doesn't give a damn about this country. She had no qualms about p###### our constitution down the toilet when she signed the Lisbon Treaty.
She's a traitor and should spend her final days locked away in the Tower of London with the rest of our treacherous government.
Off with their heads.

archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by kindred]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Someone said earlier, I don't care about it being good for tourism.. It's the Uk's BIGGEST earner in tourism for a start. It keeps this country what it is and not another branch off of Europe. They led us through the the illustrious history of this country and made us controllers of damn near the entire globe from one little island. Thats says something to me and if you think about the influence our country used to have it's no suprise the monarchy still has a say in a lot of countries.

They've led the country for hundreds of years, always have done and probably always will do. I'm not sure about the conspiracy side of things behind the Royal family and the power they still have but some of it is believable. How long had Obama been inaugarated for before he was over here kissing the Queen's ass? Although Phillip didn't look particularly blown away by the ipod..

I think they should stay, we should get rid of parliament and be a full on monarchy again, but only if we get Harry or William taking the throne (praying to God it won't be Charles, the cheating bas***d)

On the level - the dealing of Diana's death was poor as hell but.. for them it's all about keeping the family and even close associates absolutely pure. Any hint of dirt and you're swept under the carpet and steamrollered to remove the bump under said carpet, if Diana had been pregnant with Dodi's baby like it was speculated they would have gone ballistic

[edit on 22-7-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join