It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Moon is here!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Forty years ago today, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped down onto the dusty surface of the Moon. Thanks to the Moon in Google Earth, however, no one has to wait to virtually walk in Aldrin's and Armstrong's footsteps.

Today, during a special presentation at Washington, D.C.'s Newseum ,the search giant unveiled a new addition to Google Earth 5. The Moon in Google (apparently no one felt comfortable calling it "Google Moon") offers a 3D virtual tour of the moon, narrated by original moonwalker Buzz Aldrin.

"Forty years ago, two human beings walked on the Moon. Starting today, with Moon in Google Earth, it's now possible for anyone to follow in their footsteps," said Moon in Google Earth Product Manager, Michael Weiss-Malik.

Along with the virtual tour, Moon in Google Earth will offer panoramic images of the lunar surface, satellite imagery from Arizona State, details on all the Apollo missions, and facts and the locations on all the space debris various missions have left on the moon since 1969. Google skipped the Moon with Google Sky and Google Mars, and also has produced a nifty Google Sky app for Android phones.

Current Google Earth users can switch to the Moon view by selecting "Moon" in the main toolbar. Google Earth is available at earth.google.com.

So, it would seem that google is doing the map the entire moon thing now. I am one to believe that there are many things going on up there nobody wants us to know about and wonder how this will be covered up in the coming months and years when there is so much interest in the moon these days.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
How did they get that Google street view car up there.

Second line is somewhere around here.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Well done

I just discovered this too and just checked ATS to see if it had been posted.. and you beat me to it

A quick link to the actual google moon page.. not much to say or show on it, just a link to it really earth.google.com...

Will be interesting to see what we can all find on it.. I bet they already added the NASA moon landing 'photos'.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yeah, im sure they already posted the NASA photos. Im just really curious how exactly this is going to go over. People have protested the Google earth project and I wonder if the goverment will have something to say about the moon project heh.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Ooooh, I bet we'll be able to see the alien base on Google Moon!!!

(... and just incase you can't tell, no I'm not serious.)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Why am I willing to be that not only will we not see moon bases but this project is shelved for some reason?

Im thinking there will be no breakthroughs here which is a shame.

top topics

join