It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother Amazon Remotely Deletes Purchased Copies of 1984 and Animal Farm From Thousands of Kindl

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Ah woops. My bad. "electronic versions".

Normal ones are still there and appear as they should.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Call me old fashioned, I'm 22 but I prefer my paper to some electronic book. Also, I own my own copies of 1984 and Animal Farm. I don't know any other Orwell titles.

And, I own my bible Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

Ayn Rand was not the big corporation elitist some make her out to be. I have read her books, and one of the overall themes is that indvidual men/women are capable of achieving great things. She had her own philosophy, Objectivism. Rand despised governments and especially the crooks that run them. She called them looters, saying that they took wealth from individuals by force, a gun or death. She was pro liberty, individualism, and hard work. She also despised altruism.

I might go buy a copy of Brave New World today while I can, I've always wanted to read that book.

I hope this isn't a precursor of more things to come.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
1984 seems to be the "script" of what is happening in the US and England (& the world), so I am suspicious that this is just a coincidence. I naively believed most people had read 1984, I forget my age and realize a huge majority of Americans don't read at all, many Americans simply can't read. So perhaps the PTB don't want the masses to find out what is in store for them/us.

The other issue is privacy. If they can delete a copy of the electronic book on your computer, without your permission, that is scary, very scary, kind of "Orwellian".

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I made a thread about this but put in the wrong forum and was late by about 3 hours...
here Link is just if people want to read replies there, please post here.

What I find most disturbing is not even the attempt at memetic concealment, the attempt to reshape the group mind, no, what I find disturbing is that they have the technical ability to do so.

I will never ever buy an Amazon Kindle and will boycott their website from now on, this is going too far. Another corporation for the S list.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

i knew somebody was gonna come up w/ that. i was hoping it could be me. i'm always lookin to crash a hayday.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK. In the interests of fairness, you can obtain a digital version of 1984 and Animal farm here:

gutenberg.net.au...

and

gutenberg.net.au...

Project Gutenburg Australia has full legal rights to give Ebooks freely, provided the Author died before 1955.

Put THAT in your Kindles!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I've always wondered why anyone would by something like Kindle in the first place. Get yourself a 160GB netbook, then download all of the classic books you could possibly want in PDF format -- for free.

Viola! Your own personal electronic book library that no one can come in and bum-rush.

The good thing about this flap is that it will probably kill off a completely unnecessary appliance.

On 1984, I've always been of the opinion that someone in the "elite" communicated their plans for the future to be placed in book format to acclimate the masses. Even if people never thought it would happen, its still in the back of their brains.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What ever happened to buying an actual book? If Amazon does not approve of certain books, fine, but since the texts in question are available in any bookstore, why not just buy them, instead of complaining?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Star & Flag for this important notification. It is indeed ironic that these two books would be treated as such. I was first made aware, years ago, of the NWO (though we didn't call it that back then) as a young man by reading the books 1984 and Animal Farm.

I had considered getting the Kindle recently. I'll have to rethink that now. This brings up a subject I have always feared with "electronic publishing" in general. I don't like the idea that content can be changed or deleted at anytime. Reminds me of the commandments the animals had written on the wall in Animal Farm. Many of them later were altered with the addition of "except pigs", to better serve the pigish ruling class. With internet technology, that little deception is sooo easy.

For those who want to see them, both of the video versions of Animal Farm and 1984 are available on YouTube...links are below.

Animal Farm:
www.youtube.com...

1984:
www.youtube.com...

Also available and probably most relevant to today - Brave New World:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-7-2009 by romanmel]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Kindling The Flames

As best I can tell, what's going on is that an outfit called MobileReference (mobi), which republishes public domain books in electronic form, offered the books on Kindle but then later discovered that Mr. Orwell's works are still under copyright in the U.S. (though in the public domain in several other countries).

Since it was therefore a violation of U.S. copyright law to sell the book in the U.S. without permission, which they apparently did not have, they had to pull the books.

So rather than some sinister conspiracy to censor Orwell, it looks like a case of one of Amazon's Kindle publishers making an embarrassing mistake, with Amazon left holding the bag.

However, it would seem the larger issue is the resulting effect on Kindle's reputation now that the ability of Amazon to remove books from users' Kindles has been highlighted.

In other words, it's great that Kindle users can order and download books via the wireless network at will, but as a result of this episode it's been shown to be a two-way street, understandably leaving some customers feeling vulnerable to abuse by the service.

Now that this has been shoved into the spotlight, it will be interesting to see how Amazon handles it. Will they just wait for it to blow over, or take steps to reassure customers and prospective customers?

Either way, I'm sure this is one headache the Kindle team didn't need.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
One day public school systems may transition to e-text books, then convert the libraries. This will be popular as they will say this will save money, be better for the kids backs, and save trees.

The government will be able to edit text books and libraries in all public school systems...could there be a better way to brainwash society?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Where's the problem, I can go to Amazon and when I type in 1984 or Animal farm in either book or audio book form there they are

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun
One day public school systems may transition to e-text books, then convert the libraries. This will be popular as they will say this will save money, be better for the kids backs, and save trees.

The government will be able to edit text books and libraries in all public school systems...could there be a better way to brainwash society?

Exactly...Big Bro is here and now! Technology in a benevolently run society would be great. However, in a society run by tyrants it would be pure hell. I don't see any "benevolent leaders" today. Better keep those old fashioned paper books. They'll be contrabanded in the "brave new world" about to come onto the world stage.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Had Fox News on earlier, the "whatever" it's called at the bottom of the screen had a mention. Amazon stated that the supplier for that kindle didn't actually have the book, if that makes any sense.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Yes, it is an interesting thread.

Who is Ayn Rand? Apparently his/her stuff had been pulled/deleted as well.

The proper question is "Who is John Gault?"

www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The end times...

I find the jokes and the ironic situations being played on the unsuspecting masses to be quite hilarious on occassion.

18 years 10 months and counting.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This is their device which serves as a delivery system for their medium of data. when you purchase a copy then legally you dont own it you merely possess a license to that copy. therefore that license can be revoked and since you never own the media only a license to it then you have no right to it.

this is not a conspiracy just use torrents like everyone else and this will never happen to you. unlocking a kindle is easy there are several youtube and online faqs to do this.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
This is very interesting -
and very curious to know which other books and why.

ummmm

Apparently, the publisher changed its mind about having electronic versions of Orwell's books.

Seems to me the publisher would have that right

[edit on 19-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun

And then along comes a year of heavy solar storms and wipes the databade clean with EMP and all those books are lost

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
*snip*

Seems to me the publisher would have that right

[edit on 19-7-2009 by zorgon]

Yeah, nobody's really contesting that. In fact I bet the kindle T&C gives them the right to do what they did . The million dollar question that we should be getting to the bottom of, and the point of this thread, is what or who compelled the publisher, and why those particular books.

Was it merely lost profit potential? Compelling argument, but given the river of other ways books are being pirated, did this really represent very much? Still, it's their right to protect their property, no one is disputing that.

Of course Amazon/Kindle want to cover their butts, but are these two books the only ones available on a Kindle that share this peculiar "fuzzy gray area" between being completely open source and having some copyright in some places? Surely a coincidence of historical girth.

This whole thing goes so far beyond coincidence, it's like a slap in the face! Maybe if they haven't read the books, it's easy for some to be of the opinion that it's simply a publisher (which by the way is Houghton Mifflin, at the sony e-store) protecting it's copyrights, but gad-ZOOKS! To me it's like a kick in the groin, complete with that sick to the stomach feeling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join