It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of an Atheist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't believe there is a god or gods.

I define god(s) as a supernatural all-knowing all-powerful being.

My definition ends there.

I'm not interested in what degree they exist in.
I'm not interested in how much influence they, or their familiars,advocates,or avatars, have on human affairs.
I'm not interested in the clamorings of their followers.

I have found my own answer to life, and it doesn't include any trans-dimensional, mind reading, world destroyers.

Now, lest you all think I'm some religion hating over-exxagerrating militant lunatic, allow me to extend an olive branch to my religious friends on the other side of the metaphysical aisle.

I will respect your beliefs. The path to true spirituality is unique in all of us, in the end don't most of us take what information we have and do our best?Does it really matter if you go to heaven and I go to oblivion? We'll be dead! It won't matter anymore! What matters is now, the moment you are still breathing. We both have bigger mutual problems here and now.

Suprising as it may sound, I actually respect alot of things concerning religion. Most religions have a positive message of some kind, a noble model to emulate, and good old fashioned enlightenment. There are proverbs and wisdoms I have gleaned from many different belief systems, and remind myself daily to observe them. In fact "Let he who is without sin be the first to cast stones" is the gold standard for me. Oh yeah, I'm not interested in whether he really existed or not, or in what variation.

I have much respect for JC.But I gotta say, in all honesty, I feel bad for the guy. All the trials and tribulations he experienced while alive aside, look what happened to his message. Look how his followers turned out, and the world in general. If he is all that you say he is, he must be very sad.

And I don't mean to disrespect you faithful followers. You're not all bad, your religion isn't all bad, and your gods aren't all bad. It's your human-pseudo-political-religious-spider web of spiritual espionage got their fingers in everything Beauracratic Nightmare ClusterF....Ok you know what I mean.They're giving you a bad name man! Not to mention your stereotypical nutjob goin off the deep end.But that's not religions fault. That's peoples fault. People do evil things. gods (or lack of gods) dont make people do evil things. people make people do evil things, that is, if they're not doing it themselves already.

Here's the thing. Whether you believe we're living in the endtimes or I believe its just a mathmatical equation, it's still bad for both of us. Yeah, you believe you might get sucked up into heaven at some cosmic event, but you still have up until that moment to deal with life like the rest of us. Personally, I feel like I have enough threats coming at me that I don't feel the need to make MORE enemies! You believe in God I don't so what? You tellin me that if we found ourselves locked up ina fema camp somewhere, that you would refuse my help or distance yourself simply because I am an Atheist? If it comes down to the real deal, and we're in full tilt apocalypse, suddenly these labels we use on each other won't matter so much. I care about my fellow man, just because there is no god for me doesn't mean I think we're all ants, or that we're just maggotfood. God is not a prerequisite to attain spirtuality.So can we please just get over this whole me vs you thing. Because it's already us vs them.

The argument is settled. Neither religion nor non-religion is to blame for mankinds ills throughout time. It can easily be argued that both have contributed to the advancement of our species. There is no reason to be enemies, and no reason to treat each other like enemies. All this hate and conflict is brought on by the politicians and maniacs, not you or I. Obviously we have crazy people on both sides making things worse. But that's not your average person, those people would be crazy anyway, it just so happened they latched onto a belief system and twisted it around to fit their delusions. Can we agree on this please?! Because most of the arguments on both sides are tired and worn out, because we've already established that nobody is gonna budge until something happens or doesn't happen to validate one side or the other.There is nothing to argue about! All there is, is debate. We can have a civil enjoyable conversation about metaphysics and bible interpretations, and possibly both learn something new. There's nothing to get riled up about. Unless someone is being rude of course, but that really isn't the norm.(obviously it is around here but I digress.)We could do without the militant posturing and heavy handed sermonizing.

Yeah all this applies to militant atheists too, get a grip. If you got all this hate for religion and its followers, you got bigger problems. Don't even call yourself an Atheist if you're doing it out of spite. At it's best Atheism can be a great journey towards knowledge and understanding. Using it as a sword is simply falling victim to the same mentality that you so despise.

If you want my opinion on what you believe, feel free to ask. If you want to know what I believe, go for it. I won't force anything on you, talk down to you, or make light of your convictions.All I ask is you do the same for me.

You all are not all evil, and neither are we.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hearing an Atheist talk makes me think of the episode of Metalocalypse "Religionklok". Where the atheists were attacked by agnostics for having a bad belief system LOL. I am agnostic and alot of your points I hold as well.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

And I don't mean to disrespect you faithful followers. You're not all bad, your religion isn't all bad, and your gods aren't all bad. It's your human-pseudo-political-religious-spider web of spiritual espionage got their fingers in everything Beauracratic Nightmare ClusterF....Ok you know what I mean.They're giving you a bad name man! Not to mention your stereotypical nutjob goin off the deep end.But that's not religions fault. That's peoples fault. People do evil things. gods (or lack of gods) dont make people do evil things. people make people do evil things, that is, if they're not doing it themselves already.

You must disrespect them.

The extremist have no power, the Ted Haggards buying male prostitutes and Crystals wink wink. They have no power, Osama bin Laden has no power, all these people have no power if they DO NOT HAVE THE PACIFIST FOLLOWERS.

If you want to believe in your own personal god, and blah blah blah, that man can live inside fishes, that's fine, have a blast. If your going to be supporting and sending money to the 700 club, and supporting the brainwashing garbage, you are just as bad as them, and if your not standing against it your for it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I am agnostic as well, and I try mu hardest to keep an open mind. You are probably the most open minded athiest I have "met". Keep it up.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The problem today is this.

I can call myself the president.

Is it true? No.

There are so many people in the world today that call themselves a certain religion, but certainly do not follow those beliefs and do no preach them either.

That applies to everything in life. Someone who preaches peace but does otherwise etc.

Southpark has done many great skits about religion and those who abuse it or use it for the wrong purposes.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Great post

Im atheist to, and its seems that we are demonised by religious people on to many occasions. They just dont understand that we dont hate religion, we just dont follow it.

Good work, Im holding that olive branch to

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

That's funny you used to be an atheist. Why the change of mind or heart?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

You must disrespect them.

The extremist have no power, the Ted Haggards buying male prostitutes and Crystals wink wink. They have no power, Osama bin Laden has no power, all these people have no power if they DO NOT HAVE THE PACIFIST FOLLOWERS.

If you want to believe in your own personal god, and blah blah blah, that man can live inside fishes, that's fine, have a blast. If your going to be supporting and sending money to the 700 club, and supporting the brainwashing garbage, you are just as bad as them, and if your not standing against it your for it.
You have a good point, but it works against you as well. Show me where you are actively campaigning against an Atheist organization that is doing things you don't agree with.

I'm not saying ignorance gets anybody off, but they sure are masterful at manipulating and misleading people. Anyone can be fooled.

the larger point is, disrespecting the general religious populace is just asanine. If they deserve it they deserve it, but alot of times people dont.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

The thing is though, there is an absence of atheist organization, zip, zadda none.

Only personal viewpoints, that tend to agree with other personal viewpoints.

There is no group, no orginization. We are each to ourselves, with some very profound writers, and professors. (I know, we must only hold scholars with a grain of salt, and those who study one book only with our whole lives) lol.

Atheism ask nothing of people except for them to stop believing, in a God that throws thunderbolts at people, or that someone can walk on water.

It basically at the base asks them only to use logic, and reason in their own lives, and not take the words of Haggard as absolute fact.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I do not remember ever saying I was an atheist. If I have in the past, it was in error. I have been agnostic for many years.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Ah that's where you're wrong. There are numerous Atheist Organizations. I can only wonder what kinds of things they might be saying or doing that you might not agree with...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
you know... atheists seem more concerned about god than do the pious. not just religion, but some form of god as well. it is the one thing that the faithful and atheists actually have in common... a DEEP regard for a god, due to the belief in the existence or inexistence thereof. the pious take their god(s) for granted, while atheists must cope with having it constantly thrust upon them from every direction.

if there is one thing that seems to always be on the mind of the atheist, it is a god. the zealot is always concerned about sin... what is wrong with this picture?

FAITH of some sort is requisite for belief or disbelief. either faith in a god, or self. it is still a theory after all.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gravykraken

Not this Athiest, friend. no one is thrusting it on me, and I rarely have to stop and remind myself theres no god. It is of little concern to me personally.

What concerns me is this ever escalating rhetoric between people that really have no reason to be trying to shout each other down.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravykraken

FAITH of some sort is requisite for belief or disbelief. either faith in a god, or self. it is still a theory after all.

where do you get that from? and what theory?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Now this is just my OPINION.

I do not believe true athiesm is possible. Belief in anything (Be it a god or a roach on your keyboard) is what leads to goals. You must believe something is possible in order to strive to achieve it. And if a true atheist does not believe in anything except that we are merely a product of darwinism that originated from a freak accident with a few proteins then logically, we should have no more meaning than the cow that was slaughtered to make your burger.

Even if we are the end result of a random convergence of inert materials, a belief or faith in something is required in order to place purpose on this existence as a conscious being, otherwise that being would self terminate.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Now this is just my OPINION.

I do not believe true athiesm is possible. Belief in anything (Be it a god or a roach on your keyboard) is what leads to goals. You must believe something is possible in order to strive to achieve it. And if a true atheist does not believe in anything except that we are merely a product of darwinism that originated from a freak accident with a few proteins then logically, we should have no more meaning than the cow that was slaughtered to make your burger.

Even if we are the end result of a random convergence of inert materials, a belief or faith in something is required in order to place purpose on this existence as a conscious being, otherwise that being would self terminate.
Only the belief that there is no god makes an Atheist.The ideas on an afterlife vary from one to the other, and I would hardly say the "we're just ants doomed to oblivion" version is the "true atheist "assertion.There's Atheists that are atheist for the wrong reason, and atheist for the right reason. But what are Atheists trying to achieve?

And belief itself is not contradictory to Atheism, just belief in gods. I believe all kinds of things about my soul and spirit and afterlife and the universe. All it inspires me to do is the best I can.

As far as purpose goes, you don't need god or religion to have a purpose. You don't need anything to determine your purpose other than a willingness to look inside yourself and be open to ideas.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

So your point of view is more of a buddhist point of view? The belief that oneself is capable of achieving that which God like in other cultures? That is also a primary belief in the Satanic Church.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Nah i don't think we can achieve a god- like status, maybe we can attune ourselves to something higher, but thats more of an evolution. I think ultimately people should find their own way, and gather more information as they continue, because I'm sure that my theories will continue to evolve and change, probably right up until I die. theres nothing wrong with that, spirtuality is like knowledge, always expand and evolve.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Let me start out by saying that I have been an atheist before, but I could consider myself an agnostic now. I'm also just asking you questions.

I agree, a belief in God or Gods is only one part of religion (a set of beliefs). I also agree that organized religion brings with it the possibility of fights, wars and very long grudges, but "sets of beliefs" also bring valuable necessities like peace and happiness into our lives.

We know that anyone who believes too heavily on one side of anything is destined to be unbalanced and narrow-minded (including everything from Atheists to Mormons :p). That’s the real problem with the "God debate". Religion isn't so much the problem as close-mindedness is. A religion is just a set of beliefs (which everyone SHOULD have!) and close-mindedness is the virus that can hide truth. Atheists, Monotheists, and Polytheists are all susceptible to blinding because they make a decision that closes a door.

I believe that either believing or disbelieving in a God or Gods is close-minded in itself. Don't get me wrong, as long as any religion offers more questions than answers I give the
, but one may become very ignorant by choosing a side and sticking to it (close-minded). All types of opinionated believers and non-believers may not find any new answers because they have closed themselves off from new ideas that may be staring at them in the face.

Many are trapped in the problem of believing that they understand everything about this world. I've met a lot of Atheists (and Christians, and Mormons…people of all religions) like this, luckily some dig deeper! Sure our society does some horrible things to itself with religion, but the truth of the matter is that it is more dangerous to make up ones mind in which is not proven rather than simply refusing to take a side. This is not indecision, it is open-mindedness, and I believe that the real reason behind any religiously caused problems is the fact that often times followers lack open-mindedness. I know people from many religions and beliefs and whether they're monotheists, polytheists, or atheists they are, in a way, close-minded because they are not open to receive new knowledge that comes with an alternative view. Any belief can have radical followings, so one must experience life and find a belief in oneself instead of looking at proposed opinions and sides.

Once somebody classifies themselves as believing or disbelieving in a God or Gods, they automatically lose the possible experience of believing in neither and both. Normally if you have a decision you would try to debate both sides of the issue and decide which works better for you, or decide which is correct. What if you assumed that both sides were wrong/false and strove to find a new truth? You automatically will move on to a knowledge undiscovered by those stuck in the debate. Both sides of the debate were nothing more than opinion anyway, and both sides strive towards the same goals inside our minds. They are both looking for truth.

So why not just not make that decision and find real truth? Don’t believe in God or Gods, and don’t believe that there isn’t a “God” (or more powerful laws that we don’t understand that may represent God). If you understand the possibility of all, you will be open to discover things in which have never been found or proven. It'll put you on balance. It's like going to sleep and waking up in a Harry Potter movie (I've never seen any of those movies, I'm just imagining...dragons). Facts haven’t solved the riddle of God, so why take a side with no justifications instead of looking for something that solves it?

Understanding the possibility of the seemingly impossible will lead to new discoveries. How could one ever say they believe in God or don't believe in God? Once you choose a door you leave the other one behind, leaving its experiences behind. The only way to find the truth is by experiencing it through oneself without bias.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
"atheist does not believe in anything except that we are merely a product of darwinism"

An atheist does not believe in a GOD, they have many other beliefs beyond that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join