It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Government and Citizen Understanding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
In recent years we have heard many, many people - including current president Obama - insisting that the citizens of the USA need a smaller government and we would get one.

I have wondered, would this work? Is there anything that could change in the current government that would ever work for the people.

Would a smaller government really help? I know that a smaller government would be good in the sense that less spending would take place, because there would be less government entities to take up the cash. Would this be enough to re-gain the trust of the American people and the citizens of the countries who trade with the USA?

It seems like the current government has grown into a machine that is running on it's own now and no matter the amount of restructuring that takes place it may never work the way it once did a century and less ago.

Is it time to abololish the current government, write a new constitution, and accept the changes that would come with the new system?

Could this be the only way out of a system that is sucking the life blood, not only from it's core base of citizens (the middle, upper-middle, amd lower-middle class), but also from many other countries' citizens?

A One World Government has been talked about and cast into a light that makes it very undesirable. If a OWG was overseen properly and put into place truly by the people and designed for the people could it be the answer for the current problems we are in? It is quite obvious that we live in a time unlike any other time in recorded history - or even the history of the USA, to think that these problems will go away with a little political manipulation may be a big problem.

Is it time to say good-bye to our dated ways and policies and embrace a OWG and the progress it would bring?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
In my opinion, a OWG would look nice for a small amount of time only. In the US, if you desire a change in government, might I suggest that we erase all federal laws and hit the reset button. What that would do is reset the computer to the constitution with it's firmware upgrades (amendments). Start over! Cause game is over either way. We have been in a perpetual fight against a government that is getting further from the will of the people since long before I was born. Now, consider moving that government to say, Brussels. What do you predict? A government more willing to redress individuals in say, Montana? Not me.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
No, as a matter of fact heck no.

People forget that our forefathers were surrounded by enemies on all sides, the hostile English in Canada, the hostile Spanish in Mexico and Florida and Texas, the hostile Indians in the Wilderness...

They did not abandon their ideals though...they fought for them...and they used them the most and looked to them the most when the going got the roughest.

Today many people would like to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Lets just start all over again, lets create something that works...

Works for whom and why?

Our ideals work and our principals work just fine when people actually follow them and discipline themselves to always follow them.

We have become no better than the enemies we decry as we stoop to the same level of dishonesty and barbarity and inhumanity to fight fire with fire they say.

It's weak, and frankly OP your idea is as weak, and vague and lame as the people who give us similiarly weak, and vague and lame politicians like Barack Hussein Obama and a Council for Foreign Relations laden Administration.

The Tree of Liberty just needs fed with a whole lot of blood of tyrants and despots at this point...

Do America a favor, move to another country and work on your one world government from there, clearly you have no desire to make America work for Americans and that's why it doesn't work for Americans anymore.

[edit on 13/7/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
How about a no world government, woops I mean a no government world. Well either way it would be better.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I suppose a thread questioning the existence of a government that is outdated and lame is weak... or maybe what is weak is someone who thinks they know everything and they have the right to criticize other people's thoughts and questions.

Also, buddy, I pay my taxes and work everyday. I am not on any government assistance either. It is people like me who are the backbone of this country, the people who have the right to question why our quality of life is going down as we work ourselves halve to death.

Then there are people like you who do what you do, negative attitudes telling people to leave when they question the viability of the current state of the government.

If you had read enough of the thread you may have understood that I was asking if the government could be fixed or if the changes will just prolong the inevitable and possibly prelude to what the current governments are working toward anyway. The main question was "Should we accept a OWG and would it ultimately be good compared to the inflated, money eating government we are in now.

You seem to be firmly placed in the machine and are probably watching - and believing everything you see - the mainstream media now.

Weak.... Where's the mirror. You can be the pot and I'll be the kettle.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by esteay812]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
Would a smaller government really help? I know that a smaller government would be good in the sense that less spending would take place, because there would be less government entities to take up the cash. Would this be enough to re-gain the trust of the American people and the citizens of the countries who trade with the USA?

I think it would. If our current government were scaled back considerably, it would help a lot. Not to mention it would satisfy a good sized chunk of the country. Of course even then the liars and thieves would have to be weeded out and replaced with people who weren't in the pockets of corporations, but it would be a very large step in the right direction.

Whether it would be enough to re-gain the trust that has been lost is another matter. I think it would be the first step down the road to re-gaining trust, but the government has a long way to go if they want the entire country to trust them again. They've screwed us over one too many times for us to just forgive and forget.

Is it time to abololish the current government, write a new constitution, and accept the changes that would come with the new system?

I'd like to say yes, but I can't honestly say it. Our Constitution works, when our "leaders" aren't ignoring it or calling it just a piece of paper, and I'm not sure there are any improvements that could be made with a re-write that couldn't just as easily be accomplished with an amendment.

If a OWG was overseen properly and put into place truly by the people and designed for the people could it be the answer for the current problems we are in?

Is it time to say good-bye to our dated ways and policies and embrace a OWG and the progress it would bring?

Absolutely not. There's no way that one government for the entire planet could ever work and be a good thing. The cultures and circumstances in each country vary so much that trying to impose one set of rules for every living human being just wouldn't work.

For example, some countries don't permit women to do anything besides be alive, let alone allow them to speak their minds, so whose laws would we stick with? Laws like they have that would require me to sit down, shut up, and hope I'm never raped since it will be my fault? Or laws like we have here that allow me to speak my mind, do pretty much whatever I want within reason, and protect me or at least permit me some recourse should some neanderthal decide he wants something I won't willingly give him?

Then there are a whole host of other issues where countries around the world disagree, how do we decide whose laws we keep and whose we toss out? Who gets to make that decision? How is that person or group of people chosen? What happens to people in countries whose laws are tossed? Will they riot? Will there be unnecessary deaths caused by everything suddenly getting turned upside down?

It would just be a big old mess, and there's no way anyone would be prepared to deal with the aftermath.

new topics

top topics

join