It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starcraft fans: Did you know there was 3 expansions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Just a question.

It seems, out of all the geeks I know, that many don't know that Brood Wars wasn't the only official expansion to be released for Starcraft. In fact, the other 2 were released BEFORE Brood Wars.

From Wikipedia:

The success of StarCraft has spurred the creation of two authorized add-on titles to StarCraft. Insurrection was the first add-on pack released for StarCraft. Although developed and published by Aztech New Media, it is authorized by Blizzard Entertainment. It was released for the PC on 31 July 1998. The expansion's story focuses on a Confederate colony during the course of the first campaign of StarCraft. As in StarCraft, the player takes control of each race in three separate campaigns. In the first campaign, Terran colonists attempt to defend themselves from the Zerg invasion of the sector as well as from a rising insurgency. The second campaign has the player directing a Protoss task force sent to clear the Zerg infestation of the colony by any means necessary. In the final campaign the player assumes the role of a Zerg cerebrate, whose goal is to crush all opposition on the surface. The expansion contains around 30 new campaign missions and over 100 new multiplayer maps, although it does not include new content such as units and graphical terrain tilesets. Insurrection was criticized by reviewers for lacking the quality of the original game and it is not widely available. Although the add-on is authorized by Blizzard Entertainment, they offer no comment on support or availability of the game.

Retribution is the second of the two authorized add-on packs released for StarCraft. The add-on was developed by Stardock and published by WizardWorks Software. It was released for the PC in late 1998. The game is set during the second campaign in StarCraft, revolving around the acquisition of a crystal of immense power connected to the Xel'Naga. Divided into three campaigns, the player assumes the roles of a Protoss fleet executor, the commander of a Dominion task force and a Zerg cerebrate, all tasked with retrieving the crystal from a Dominion colony and getting it off the planet as quickly as possible. As with its predecessor, Retribution does not include any new gameplay features beyond its single player campaigns and an abundance of multiplayer levels. The add-on was not received with critical support, and instead was regarded as average but at least challenging. Retribution is not widely available, and Blizzard Entertainment offers no comment regarding support or the availability of Retribution despite authorizing the add-on.

Source

I managed to get my hands on Insurrection a few years back. These expansions are ridiculously rare these days and are worth (apparently) thousands of dollars to Starcraft fanatics. (I'm currently selling my Insurrection on Ebay to pay for a dentist bill haha).

So, did all you Starcraft nuts know that these 2 packs even existed? Most people don't.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I had Insurrection and Retribution...found them in a bargain bin. God that was years ago. Sadly I don't remember anything from those days except for the KEKE.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by nastalgik]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nastalgik

If you can find them, you should consider selling them.

They are horribly rare these days and Starcraft fanatics (especially in Korea) are looking for them as collectors items.

new topics

join