It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Cyber Attack Ongoing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

North Korean Cyber Attack Ongoing

www.thaindian.com

Information technology experts in the US are still attempting to repair damage caused to key government computer systems, including the Pentagon and the National Security Agency, by internet hackers on July 4.

The attack also targeted computer systems at the White House, the New York Stock Exchange, the Department of Homeland Security, the State Department, the Nasdaq stock market , The Washington Post, the Treasury Department, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Secret Service.

Yesterday, Tuesday, computer systems operated by the government of South Korea also came under attack, leadi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Federal Web sites knocked out by cyber attack

[edit on 8-7-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Whoever is orchestrating this attack is not limiting themselves to government websites.

There has been little to no increased government spending on cybersecurity to-date. But words may presage action. In May, President Obama said cybersecurity would become a top economic and national security priority. Part of that plan is to create a new White House office, led by a cybersecurity coordinator, who has yet to be named.

Is it merely coincidental that this attack came shortly after a demand for the creation of a new cyberterrorism office and new funding? How could he have predicted this kind of attack so far in advance?

Cybersecurity: Obama’s Next Big-Ticket Agenda Item
247wallst.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

No problem here. Might be an ISO issue your having.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is eerily similar to the headlines after elctions in Iran.

False Flag Operation anybody?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why hasn't this cyber attack been reported on any of th MSM?

Fox, CNN or MSNBC have not said a word about this thing as far as I can tell.

Is this just European news?

I mean, I figure if they wanna place NK for this kind of attack it would be all over the place by now, it was 4 days ago.

NVM, I just looked up on MSNBC, and after using the very usefull search function, found the story.

My apologies...

~Keeper

[edit on 7/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack
reply to post by andrewh7

No problem here. Might be an ISO issue your having.

It's not an ISP issue as it's only Youtube that down. I live in the midwestern United States. Can others try youtube to confirm this.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
This is eerily similar to the headlines after elctions in Iran.

False Flag Operation anybody?

Yeah except that Youtube is NOT down. I think this may be ATS-overreaction-itis.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
YouTube works great for me.
So does my connection to the Pentagon...
Ooops did I say that?

False Flag, propaganda, and just all around bologna beans.

Thank goodness...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
iv been using youtube all day here in toronto.

don't make posts like this, the internet is a fickle thing.

its like saying, because its a cold summer day in your local, that we are experiencing global cooling

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I wonder if they will illegally extradite the perps to the us to face trial and possible imprisonment of 70 years..

no its only the uk, that will bend over backwards for the us, even changing the law for them.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
I wonder if they will illegally extradite the perps to the us to face trial and possible imprisonment of 70 years..

no its only the uk, that will bend over backwards for the us, even changing the law for them.

Why would the US want to prosecute? These type of attacks give them an excuse to strong arm Congress for more money and greater authority to police the Internet.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

Why would the US want to prosecute? These type of attacks give them an excuse to strong arm Congress for more money and greater authority to police the Internet.

Brings up an interesting question; you know Germany is looking to censor it's internet, so with the extra policing of the US internet and possible censorship do you think there will ever be an underground internet?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravitybender

Originally posted by andrewh7

Brings up an interesting question; you know Germany is looking to censor it's internet, so with the extra policing of the US internet and possible censorship do you think there will ever be an underground internet?

The best way to answer that question is to look at China. They probably have some of the strongest restrictions any government has ever imposed on electronic communication. Many of the people there, however, have been able to get around the censorship using proxy servers. That is, you connect to proxy server A and it requests the web pages you want to read and transmits them back to you. In the US, I don't think censorship will be the major issue. My primary concern is privacy, and Congress seems to be more than willing to flush privacy and due process down the toilet in exchange for "greater security."

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I don't believe that North Korea is behind it. I'm sorry I just don't believe it. Not for one second. Not a chance. This is a false flag here.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You Tube is down again......

This is becoming annoying.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Seriously

I use various back trace programs off and on for years now...

The North Koreans are ALWAYS hacking away... I get back traces to North Korea every week for my entire life working on the net.

Obviously this is just a GOOD attack...

But they have people at it 24/7

Nothing new here

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Seriously

I use various back trace programs off and on for years now...

The North Koreans are ALWAYS hacking away... I get back traces to North Korea every week for my entire life working on the net.

Obviously this is just a GOOD attack...

But they have people at it 24/7

Nothing new here

I would bet that China is behind it and routing it through NK to make it look like them. Most in that country would not have a clue how to defrag windows let alone hack a U.S. system.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Star and flag

This is also being discussed in the New World Order forum.....

It doesn't even take a college graduate to figure this one out.

We are headed straight towards Internet 2.....the gov't censored internet.

The Cyber Czar ( of Homeland Security) will create a team of 'watchers' to monitor our every post, email, and search.

We gotta get all the info we can NOW....they don't want us 'spreading the knowledge' anymore or coming in contact with anymore "Zeitgiests" or similar wake-up documentarys.....

Yes, another False Flag and its in line with Obama's "Thought Police" (Preventative Detention Centers)

new topics

top topics

join