It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Songs To Help You Survive. What Would they Be? The Psychology Of Surviving.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I would first like to point out that this is a great forum.

It is a great indicator of peoples general knowledge in a plethora of subjects. From necessary gear to ecological factors to great ideas about wild food to geographical advantages to generating electricity to cleaning water and everything in between is discussed about in this forum in case case of situation X.

One thing, though, I think people tend to forget about is the psychological effects on the human mind in such an event. Each and everyone of us sees and talks to people everyday (at least I hope
). The world is built on communication and the different ways we use it. From telephones to music and movies to the internet and good ole' ATS
, we are constantly using different means more and more to interact and engage each other with in new and innovative ways.

Besides our closest friends and families we are use to seeing new faces literally each and every day. Every encounter with a stranger has an affect. They may not be large but some sort of impression is made. Of course the love we get from our friends and family members is priceless and has a huge impact on our daily lives.

But, what if all that was gone? What if one day you found yourself stranded somewhere without any of it? You don't know if you will ever see those friendly faces ever again. No wife, no kids, no mom, no dad, no amigos or amigas...Nada...Nobody...Nothing. You don't even know if you will be able to tell ole' open_eyeballs there on ATS how full of it he is ever again...
!?...Well that is probably the least of your concern, but still!!

Certainly, your first reaction will be Oh Shhh...oot
, I better get to trying all those nifty ideas I learned from the Survival Forum on ATS...(hopefully you have other experiences you can lean on as well). But, once you have gone into survival mode and have come out the other end victorious, what would you do next? Would you attempt to hunker down and live the life of a hermit? There are some excellent movies out there giving the attempt of showcaseing what it would be like to live life alone...Into the Wild comes to mind, but I know there are others.

I have spoken to people who have traveled the world alone...walking. I know it sounds a little nutty, but everyday people just walking. The guy I am thinking of did it for charity, but he has walked over 5,000 miles with backpack and sleeping bag and thats it. An amazing guy, but it takes a special breed to do something like that. There was one thing he said he could not do it without. His ipod. He could not have gone through all the deserts and long winding mountainous roads (alone, I might add) without music.

Thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that melody is an essential for everyday life and plays an integral role in humanitys sanity. I don't believe we could live without it. There is an excellent Bad Religion song that highlights this fact as well...

So, getting to the point here, what 3 songs would you take with you if you could only choose three? You could only listen to thse you have chosen, but you could listen to them over and over again, and they would be your only modern source of entertainment and recollection of the past life you lived.

Any three...name em, and why.

(If your feeling frisky and wanna break the rules then you can go with 4 or 5...I guess...
)

If you have any insight on what music or the lack of it when it comes to long term survival please feel free to add your input...

Or insight on the psychology of lack of people and/or communication and/or modern means of communication, please add as well...Thanks!

[edit on 7-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

[edit on 7-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I swear, I just now posted a thread about if you could pick 1 song!! I totally didn't see yours!!!! Here are my three:

December 1963 (Oh What a Night) The Four Seasons
December by Collective Soul
What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

I think music is powerful in many ways! Its like a universal language!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Allegretto - Jenkins (Because it gets my blood pumping)

Tonight and the rest of my life - Nina Gordon (Because I imagine life can be a fairytale when I hear it)

Imagine - John Lennon (Because my mom played it every year on my birthday - i share my birthday with john Lennon, her favourite artist)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

HAha..thats so funny...it always works like that doesnt it???!!

You know whats funny, for some reason I was like damn, I need to hurry this thing up before someone else posts it!..I swear...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Me too!!! I was thinking, OMG this is a great idea, everyone loves music and I can't believe there isn't already a thread about it!!!!
Kudos to you for beating me to the punch!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Oh ya..love that song...you know the beginning of Major League...they play that song...So classic!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Whip it! - Devo

Time is on My Side - Rolling Stones

Paranoid - Megadeath

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Only 3, hard choices.

#1 Scandal - The Warrior

#2 Prince - Let's Go Crazy (extended version)

#3 Helloween - I Want Out

With honorable mention to other top choices:

Pat Benetar - Invincible
Ratt - I'm Insane
Poison - Ride The Wind
Def Leppard - Stage fright
Nightranger - Rock In America

[edit on 7-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by helpmefindtheway

Because my mom played it every year on my birthday - i share my birthday with john Lennon, her favourite artist)

Way cool man...see the affect it can have on us?

here you get the whole picture. (Im sure for each of us their would be reasons such as these) You get to remember the dear face of your mom as you saw her as a child. See, its not the song so much as the deep emotional impact it will have on you when you are all alone and pining for those you miss and love so much. the melody is the spark that can keep someone going in rough times...

thanks for sharing!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Paranoid - Megadeath

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't know about the 3 I would choose, but these would be high on my list. No point in showing songs people already know so I'll pick these since they should be fairly obscure..
This song has always given me great joy. Why 3? Only need one.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7-7-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ok we all must be on a ATS synchronicity jig here.
*Freaky that!*

Just before I went to sleep last night I thought - I wonder what those three songs would be to get me through.

I swear on a stack a bibles.
There they are.
They were already in my Y-Tube favorites...

Better Days - gotta Love the lyrics - For everyone.

Enjoy!

peace

[edit on 7-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I really have to add this *honorable mention*.
It's in Italian but I really hope everyone who doesn't speak English listens to it.
Can't get more beautiful than this - in my opinion.

So just cancel out one of the above and stick this one in there.
Your choice.

Added note.

I couldn't survive without music.
Nor would I want to.

And just as we need food to keep our bodies going we need music to keep our souls string and willing to survive.

Thanks for a GREAT thread!

gracie
peace

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

what a trip huh?

Im not a big country fan, but i can see how country could get someone through in a tough time...its so emotional...especially the newer style stuff.

But as for the last three songs you might ever hear. At least one would have to be some kind of an upperthat would keep telling me to stay positive...like Bob Marley style....something long that would make me think like Stairway to Heaven (almost kinda like 3 songs in one)...to help me stay coherent and one that could get stuck in my head without it drivin me nuts...like somethin from Jack Johnson or something like One -And Justice For All, I know extreme opposites, but both you can listen to without it getting annoying...

kind of a cop out, but its too difficult to choose..im still composing ..."the list"

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

interesting mix!...
could you listen to those songs over and over?

thats what stumps me...knowing these three will be the only three i will ever listen to again...and again...and again.....haha...makes it a tad more difficult

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
1.) "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor
What better anthem for surviving the "S" Hitting The "F"?

2.) "Stayin' Alive" - The BeeGees
High energy attitude, and it can be used to properly time compressions while administering CPR to save a life.

3.) "We Are The Champions" - Queen
Just listen to the lyrics, what else need be said of the survivors of SitX?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Im not a big country fan, but i can see how country could get someone through in a tough time...its so emotional...especially the newer style stuff.

Is the *Tired of Toeing the line* country?
Never knew that.
Just know the words fit when I think of government!

peace

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

thats a great mix....well done

the "stayin alive" part might end up putting me 6 feet under though
j/k

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have no idea where I got that from...

..im goin senile at the ripe age of 24....jeez...i think i just had it in my head (thinking about country) when i replied to you...my bad!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
EYE of the tiger =Survivor

The final count down = Europe

Tiny dancer = Elton John

<<   2  3  4 >>

join