It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costa Rica Tops List of 'Happiest' Nations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Costa Rica Tops List of

news.aol.com

While Britain ranked 74th, the United States snagged the 114th spot, because of its hefty consumption and massive ecological footprint.
The United States was greener and happier 20 years ago than it is today, the report said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Ketzer22]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
They say that Costa Rica is the happiest nation because their ecological footprint is very small.

I think the reasoning behind the United States' unhappiness is ridiculous.. we're less happy because we're not as green as 20 years ago??

I'm not sure I believe the conclusion of this study.

I think our long work weeks and 8 year war we've been fighting are the two biggest reasons Americans aren't happy.

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Ketzer22]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah, people losing their homes and life investments is probably what's making them a little cranky

Couldn't give a monkey about whether my country is 'green' or not

[edit on 5-7-2009 by AR154]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
i've stayed there for a month with my boyfriend...it truly IS the happiest places i've ever been. everyone is so nice and relaxed. its our goal to move there eventually...in big part because everyone is so happy.
i heard they are the only country that doesn't have a military just so they can put that money into their ecology.
its truly one place that everyone should visit before they die...and cheap too...how could you not?!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If I ever get out of this place (Miami), even if its the last thing I ever do...

Costa Rica would definately be the place for me and you!

(Partially stolen from the classic Animal's song "If we ever get out of this place" partially butchered for attention by Protoplasmic Traveler)

Costa Rica is absolutely an amazing country with more species of Flora and Fauna than any other country on earth. It has rain forests and Volcanoes. You can drive to the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans in the same day. It has a large population of ex-patriated Americans, some are retirees taking advantage of the relatively low cost of living, some are the tinfoil hat crowd that decided to get out right after 9-11. They have no standing army. They have a first class symphony and opera and real culture. They even have a law that if you rape a woman as long as you offer to marry her afterwards you can't be prosecuted and sent to jail. They don't have to say 'yes' you just have to offer.

Sadly they have a large population of Monitor Lizards (really ugly huge geckos on steroids with taloned clutching hands that grow to be several feet long and are against the law to kill and are pretty much free to go anywhere and be a yucky lizard!) and they also have a large population of Howler Monkeys that likewise you can't kill and love to jump on your roof and bang on it especially when they know you have a hangover or have been up for three nights in a row working/partying and now want to go to sleep.

Yep there is always a dark side!

It's why I have been getting out slowly, and probably will be the last thing I do.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Seems to me that Costa Ricans live their lives a little looser and lighter than we Americans who are still victims of the Puritan work ethic. I used to live there long ago and something happened back when I was a teen that opened my eyes a bit to how we Americans are at times. Our flight was delayed because of fog at the airport and we had to land on San Andres island until it cleared. It was 2 am, hot, muggy...all the Americans sat in a huff with our arms crossed. The Costa Ricans broke into the beer and had themselves a party! Now, you tell me...who knows how to live??

As to your article...their premise sounds like wishful thinking.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
They even have a law that if you rape a woman as long as you offer to marry her afterwards you can't be prosecuted and sent to jail. They don't have to say 'yes' you just have to offer.

Umm...
Maybe I read that wrong, but that part seems a tad disturbing. (Kinda sounds like a vacation advertisement for your local sex offender).

Otherwise... yea, Costa Rica certainly sounds beautiful!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

I always knew Costa Rica was where I should be...

It just look so beautiful. Cool thread...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticSky
It was 2 am, hot, muggy...all the Americans sat in a huff with our arms crossed. The Costa Ricans broke into the beer and had themselves a party! Now, you tell me...who knows how to live??

I think this is one of the biggest problems we have here in the US. We take ourselves way too seriously.

Over the years I have had many immigrant friends, from many different parts of the world. They all shared one thing in common - they always threw the best parties!

Sometimes you just need to relax and let life happen to you, instead of always trying to be in control. We could learn a lot from the Costa Ricans.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
One of my close friends is Costa Rican (though born in the states) and he has nothing but positive things to say about it and said he will retire there.

I believe it truly is one of the happiest places. Beautiful! Great people! Stress free! Awesome surfing spots!

Id love to go there!

[edit on July 5th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

United States snagged the 114th spot, because of its hefty consumption and massive ecological footprint.

How exactly does "hefty consumption and massive ecological footprint" make a nation 'unhappy?' Never mind, I really don't want to hear the logical gymnastics required to explain that one.

TA

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitoy

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
They even have a law that if you rape a woman as long as you offer to marry her afterwards you can't be prosecuted and sent to jail. They don't have to say 'yes' you just have to offer.

Umm...
Maybe I read that wrong, but that part seems a tad disturbing. (Kinda sounds like a vacation advertisement for your local sex offender).

Otherwise... yea, Costa Rica certainly sounds beautiful!

What can I say, I have picked up a lot of interesting tid bits about different nation's cultures from having spent over a decade of my life as a travel agent, and someone whose always enjoyed geography and ethnology studies.

The point is that Costa Rica is a 'different' thinking nation and takes some 'progressive' and unorthodox approaches to things...

You could have just as easily picked up on the fact that I also wrote THEY HAVE NO STANDING ARMY and complained that it was an advertisement for pacifists and peacenicks.

You could have just as easily picked up on the fact that I also wrote THEY HAVE A FIRST CLASS SYMPHONY AND OPERA and complained that it was an advertisement for music lovers.

Thinking with your brain instead of your heart can be fun too and even a little more productive...try it some time friend.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
More propaganda to support the up coming "Green Revolution" that they are going to use to try to fix our economy by forcing us to buy more expensive "Green" products.

I'm all for low impact living and am very self aware of my impact on the world, but I do not need their fancy little products and TV shows/commercials telling me every five minutes about how to go about being green or showing rich little families having their houses renovated to be green.
It's BS.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Wow I thought CR was a third world country. Is it really that prosperous (aside from the rape thing that's disgusting).

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Costa Rica does have a middle class, which is rather unique amongst Latin American countries. But there is plenty of poverty...especially outside of the cities - and beggars aplenty.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Actually, I was thinking with both my brain and heart on that one... but thanks anyways friend!

~~~~~~~~~~

As I was saying... Costa Rica certainly sounds beautiful.
Star for you Ketzer for sharing the info. Sounds like many people here agree with it being a place worth visiting!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticSky
Costa Rica does have a middle class, which is rather unique amongst Latin American countries. But there is plenty of poverty...especially outside of the cities - and beggars aplenty.

I wonder if even the beggars are happy.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Wow I thought CR was a third world country. Is it really that prosperous (aside from the rape thing that's disgusting).

It is a 3rd world country, maybe 2nd world - average GDP per capita is about $10 000. Great place for wealthy people to visit but not so great if you actually like there I imagine. In fact many of countries on the list would be considered 3rd world nations.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ok just finished looking through the list and I have to wonder if it was made by Lenin's ghost. Cuba, Vietnam? Apparently being communist increases happiness. Anyway who am I to rain on the parade, all power to the soviets!

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
For those of you who are thinking of moving to relatively peaceful, tropical, welcoming countries like Costa Rica...

Don't bring your problems, biases, money, way of life, racism, material wants, keeping up with the Joneses, richer than thou, etc... Ideology with you because these issues generally don't plague other top-rated countries unlike (insert name of the stinking piece of # country you're running away from.)

Become the people who are taking a risk to welcome you.

Eat their food, live with them, raise your kids with their kids, speak the language, wear their clothes...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join