It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have New Lab Created Diamonds Been Designed to Assist in Space Travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
New research has uncovered a way to produce diamonds in just a few days. Diamonds are the hardest substance on Earth. They can maintain structure at incredible temperatures.

Could this be a result from cumulative thinking about how to get products needed for operation inspace travel?

Was this gotten from a crashed UFO or alien technology relationships?

In the back room of an unmarked brown building in a run-down strip mall, eight machines, each the size of a bass drum, are making diamonds.

That's right — making diamonds. Real ones, all but indistinguishable from the stones formed by a billion or so years' worth of intense pressure, later to be sold at Tiffany's.

The company doing this is Apollo Diamond, a tiny outfit started by a former Bell Labs scientist. Peer inside Apollo's stainless steel-and-glass machines, and you can see single-crystal diamonds literally growing amid hot pink gases.

This year, Apollo expects to grow diamonds as big as 2 carats. By the end of 2005, it might expand to 10 carats. The diamonds will probably start moving into the jewelry market as early as next year — at perhaps one-third the price of a mined diamond.

The whole concept turns the fundamental idea of a diamond on its head. The ability to manufacture diamonds could change business, products and daily life as much as the arrival of the steel age in the 1850s or the invention of the transistor in the 1940s.

In technology, the diamond is a dream material. It can make computers run at speeds that would melt the innards of today's computers. Manufactured diamonds could help make lasers of extreme power. The material could allow a cellphone to fit into a watch and iPods to store 10,000 movies, not just 10,000 songs. Diamonds could mean frictionless medical replacement joints. Or coatings — perhaps for cars — that never scratch or wear out.

Scientists have known about the possibilities for years. But they've been held back because mined diamonds are too expensive and too rare. And they're hard to form into wafers and shapes that would be most useful in products.

Manufacturing changes that. It's like the difference between having to wait for lightning to start a fire vs. knowing how to start it by hand.

"I'm just so completely awed by this technology," says Sonia Arrisonof tech analysis group Pacific Research Institute. "Basically, anything that relies on computing power will accelerate."

Arno Penzias, a venture capitalist and Nobel Prize winner for physics, says, "This diamond-fabrication story marks a high-profile milestone on an amazing scientific journey."

"We can't begin to see all the things that can happen because single diamond crystals can be made," says Apollo co-founder Robert Linares, elegant and slim in a golf shirt, slacks and loafers as he sits at the two plastic folding tables that make up Apollo's low-budget conference room. "We are only at the beginning."

Linares has worked on the technology for 15 years, much of that time in his garage. From the start, he did this because of the promise of diamonds in technology. Linares wasn't trying to make gems. In fact, he didn't think he could.

Then he had a happy accident. Well, actually, time will tell whether the accident was a happy one.

Two different paths to diamonds

In 1955, General Electric figured out how to use room-size machines to put carbon under extremely high pressure and make diamond dust and chips. The diamond material wasn't pure or big enough for gems or digital technology. But it had industrial uses, such as diamond-tipped saws. Such saws made it possible, for instance, to cut granite into countertops.

In the ensuing decades, companies and inventors tried to make bigger, better diamonds. But they didn't get far. By the 1990s, researchers were focused on two different paths to diamonds.

One was brute force. Some Russians became pretty good at it, and their machines were eventually brought to Florida by Gemesis. That company now crushes carbon under 58,000 atmospheres of pressure at 2,300 degrees Fahrenheit, until the stuff crystallizes into yellowish diamonds. The stones are attractive for jewelry but not pure enough for digital technology. Gemesis sells its gems through retailers at around $5,000 per carat. A mined yellow diamond can cost four times more.

The other process is called chemical vapor deposition, or CVD. It's more subtle. It uses a combination of carbon gases, temperature and pressure that, Linares says, re-creates conditions present at the beginning of the universe. Atoms from the vapor land on a tiny diamond chip placed in the chamber. Then the vapor particles take on the structure of that diamond — growing the diamond, atom by atom, into a much bigger diamond.

continued at source
source

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is not anything new. Man made diamonds have been around for a long time. I work in the semiconductor industry. Man made diamonds are mixed with ceramic to make grinding wheels for the purpose of grinding the backside of semiconductor wafers.

Also, a company called RF Monolithics has been making diamond wafers (microchips) for many years.

While the technology is exciting, it is not anything new. However, the fact that someone is making them in a strip mall is interesting. This means that industrial diamonds can now be made very inexpensively.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The good folks over at DeBeers aren't going to like this one bit. What was the address of this new facility again??

This new diamond could put thousands of child laborers out of work and back to school.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Diamonds are just shiny coal. I really don't understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for one. That's people for you, though.

It sounds like an amazing piece of (NON ALIEN) technology. I wonder if there is a limit to the size of the diamonds he can create? Sure would be cool to see a baseball sized one, or perhaps bigger

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

They have been around for quite awhile. The new developement is the process, time, and consistency of the end product. They are now able to make dimonds in large scale supply that are virtually identical to nature. Also, the diamonds are now being made larger than they have ever been made before.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Apparently thay are capable of making larg gem sized diamonds, but many of the diamonds that are being produced wouldn't be recognized as gems.

Surely the price of diamonds will drop, especially if they aren't able to tell a difference between man-made and natural.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I think we're being had. Maybe the diamonds aren't perfect, it may actually take 'time' itself to create perfected diamonds but it is known within the alchemist circle that Gold can be created quite easily, I say easily but I couldn't do it, it takes 1,000's of pounds of pressure and about 8.5m volts of electrical discharge into a lead, earth and stone based composite.

It has to be formed somehow and to say we can get to the moon and beyond but cant figure out how these gems are created is a bit daft.

I do firmly believe with the introduction of Nano Tech's that there is nothing that cannot be created in a lab.

Every physical object has no vaule whatsoever until we find common use for it so then we place a value on it. To me the only valuable thing in life is life itself. I dont buy there tat, I use some of it, but I wont buy it.

Hmm, whats next??? "Scientist in Sweden have found a way to manufacture 'time'? well okay that maybe a bit OTT but think about it.
There are too many things we don't know.
ATS is an amazing site but just the tip of the (errr should I???) DIAMOND?
Pure diamond site.

G

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I agree. The process that is taken place in a strip mall shows that a man made diamond can be made cheaply and quickly. Even if it's only for industrial use, this technology can press mankind much farther

I look forward to later developments.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
For those that say, it is already being done, well yes it is but at a high cost. This new way could drastically reduce the cost, just imagine hundreds to thousands of locations doing this, there would be an almost unlimited supply of diamonds for use for just about all applications. Okay, endless is a bit of an exaggeration, but once the diamonds are mass used across the board, the next step would be recycling thrown away tech with the diamonds in them to be used in new applications, which would add back to the supply.

I can see it now, recycling bin all in a row; Glass, Metal, Paper, Plastic, Cardboard, and Diamonds.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Was this gotten from a crashed UFO or alien technology relationships?

"We can't begin to see all the things that can happen because single diamond crystals can be made," says Apollo co-founder Robert Linares, ........
Linares has worked on the technology for 15 years, much of that time in his garage. From the start, he did this because of the promise of diamonds in technology.

I suppose, if Robert Linares is the alien from the crashed UFO then you could say that the technology he developed is from a crashed UFO....but why would you even ask that question? Do you have some reason to think he's an alien? Do you think mankind is too stupid to develop this technology?

Thanks for posting this story, it's tremendously exciting (though I probably would have posted it in another section besides the UFO section, it's worthy of being posted somewhere). Of the two technologies described, one of them is not new. However the technology Linares is using seems like it's new, it does have a lot of exciting implications.

Those who invest in diamonds could find the value of their investment dropping, I never thought that was a good investment for this reason. And DeBeers has to be nervous about this, the new process sounds much cheaper than the old process.

So how long till I can buy a diamond-based CPU for my PC? LOL

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for asking, but I would be the stupid one to assume those things. I simply ask the question. because so many people ask the questions about our technologies and alien relationships.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. Well in that case, I have an answer for you. There probably are aliens, and there's some possibility they have visited or are still visiting us. But mankind is NOT too stupid to develop this or any technology you and I have seen in the public eye.

If there is alien derived technology, and that's a big if, I suspect it's locked up in a black project somewhere hidden from the public eye, so you probably won't see it in an article like this.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You are probably right. It is probably one or the other exremes, not any gray area type thing. If their is alien tech. it is either in just about everything we use or it is locked up behing vaulted doors.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I can tell you it's not in everything we use, unless some of the humans we see who developed it are really aliens, and I don't think so. That only leaves the locked up in a secret lab option.

new topics

top topics

join