It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoker decides to grow his own tobacco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Smoker decides to grow his own tobacco

www.ohio.com

Carey, 49, decided in April, when federal taxes on tobacco skyrocketed, to grow his own.

''I thought it was an April Fools' joke,'' he said of the tax increase that sent taxes on roll-your-own tobacco up 2,153 percent.

There is something ''fundamentally wrong about picking on the smokers all the time,'' said Carey, whose experiment with growing tobacco comes as President Barack Obama last week signed the strongest anti-smoking bill in history. The measure gives the Food and Drug Administration the authority to regulate tobacco for the first time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Heh-I wonder how long THIS will last...

Since we know the tobacco industry has its lobbyists fingers deeply imbedded into big brother's pockets, my guess is that this type of activity will suddenly be viewed as a "threat" of some sort, and raids will be ordered upon such farms.

Glad I never took up the habit of smoking, but if I did, I would probably be right where this guy is, sick of being robbed by TPTB, and trying to do everything I could to deny them of that pleasure.

Now if more people would start doing the same for their FOOD, we could truly begin a partial seperation from the grid...

www.ohio.com

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Now that is what I am talking about, there's somebody taking his own initiative, someone taking steps not to depend on capatilism! Let's just see how this will play out though, I am sure the government will have to step in as per the alcohol, tobacco, and firearms department. That's why they have that dept. they have control over who can grow it, how much they can grow, It's almost illegal to grow your own, so I am sure there will be some more news on this probably him paying some outrageous fees and fines, I wouldn't doubt.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Heh-I wonder how long THIS will last...

Since we know the tobacco industry has its lobbyists fingers deeply imbedded into big brother's pockets, my guess is that this type of activity will suddenly be viewed as a "threat" of some sort, and raids will be ordered upon such farms.

Glad I never took up the habit of smoking, but if I did, I would probably be right where this guy is, sick of being robbed by TPTB, and trying to do everything I could to deny them of that pleasure.

Now if more people would start doing the same for their FOOD, we could truly begin a partial seperation from the grid...

www.ohio.com

I just made a post about this, but wayyyy beyond food, to include Utilities and transportation.
Here's my idea, It's at the bottom of the page:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I bet you he cuts down the amount of cigs he smokes a day by ALOT aswell.The amount of chemicals they put into tobacco to make nicotine more bio available is scary.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
For me it was only a matter of waituing before such ideas would come into practice.
Like you say this could prove to be profitable for more than only tobacco.

When we grow our own than at least we decide ourselves if we want any added chemicals to our crops.

With the prices of tobacco and organic food and fruit i think we will see many more of these kind of initiatives.
But like you say, it will most likely be criminalised to grow anything yourself soon.
Where there not some laws laid down like this allready in certain places over the last years ?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
according to the link it's legal to grow your own for personal use but this guy is growing enough to last him 50 years.
it doesn't seem all that hard to grow and cure, far easier than "tomato plants" from the look of it. might be the way to go for smokers with a little land.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Now that is what I am talking about, there's somebody taking his own initiative, someone taking steps not to depend on capatilism! Let's just see how this will play out though, I am sure the government will have to step in as per the alcohol, tobacco, and firearms department. That's why they have that dept. they have control over who can grow it, how much they can grow, It's almost illegal to grow your own, so I am sure there will be some more news on this probably him paying some outrageous fees and fines, I wouldn't doubt.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by ldyserenity]

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't raid him, and kill him. Making him an example so the rest of us don't attempt to follow suit.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jaamaan

I plan on doing this eventually, right now I haven't got the land, but honestly, I don't think I want to smoke anymore if I do this, it'll be hard to breathe trying to plow, seed, and harvest with my smokers lungs lol.

I sure will miss coffee though, as it really won't grow that I know of, here in North America.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was alluding to.
But, someone else posted you are allowed to grow enough only to supply yourself. I didn't even think that was the case.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Captitalism is not the problem. The problem is an anti capitalism government that is over taxing products just to try to engineer society and influence peoples behaviors and to give the government control of more money which they will promptly waste.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hi DD,

Riddle me this.......... ( & ANYONE ELSE WHO THINKS THEY HAVE THE ANSWER)

If the so-called powers that be want to reduce the population by a vast amount in whatever way they choose either by swine, fluoride or by other methods, Why on earth would a powerful person like Obama who is supposedly controlled like a puppet introduce an Anit-Smoking Bill ???

Shouldnt they be giving out free cigarettes to all ?? they're are going to cut out healthcare anyway arnt they, eventually?

Im really starting to think that smoking tobacco has an adverse effect on things like Fluoride and such...... its just not making sense.

hmm??

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
When you know that they're starting to regulate tobacco, why the hell would you tell the world that you're growing your own?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Yes, that's true the Government does run the capitalism... It still falls under the same umbrella. However, I beleive the big corporations who run on capitalism are also the problem, especially when A F'ing PS 3 is outsourced to produce it for 25 cents each in china by exploited underaged citizens, and then they sell it for 400 bucks to gullible americans, do you see what I am getting at?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I sure will miss coffee though, as it really won't grow that I know of, here in North America.

Coffee will grow fine here. A lot of people aren't aware, but coffee does great as a container plant. I've got several out in my back yard, and a few in my living room window. The issue, is that you need a LOT of plants to build a good supply. For a guy like me, who drinks several liters a day, it's just not feasible for me to grow my own for consumption.

They're beautiful plants though, and relatively easy to grow and propagate. If world circumstances changed, I could turn the few plants I have into a decent sized crop relatively quickly.

I also grow some tobacco. As previously mentioned, it is quite easy to grow, but I caution those new to home growing tobacco that several types can be quite hazardous to cultivate. For example, nicotiana rustica has a much higher nicotine content than the standard nicotiana tobacum commonly used for commercial tobacco. Simply handling fresh rustica leaves in the wrong way can make one quite ill, as nicotine is readily absorbed through the skin, and can be quite deadly in sufficient dosages.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I've also read it takes up to maybe five/six years for the plants to yeild any coffee to brew. I have no problem toasting the beans as I was taught the pocess by the owner of a coffee shop...it's just the wait and like you said it may not yeild enough for my consumption either. But, there's an easier substitute, chicory isn't too bad. It's also pretty prevalent in The North Americas.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't agree with anyone in this thread.

What should be the focus of this thread?
Him making his own tobacco and avoiding outrageous cost increases?
Or
Him making his own tobacco, and knowing what goes inside, and not having over 300 different poisons in there?

What's more important here?

Winning Smokers: "Hey mann... Stop overcharging us for poison, we people who love poison should not be robbed, we want affordable poison".

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Hi DD,

Riddle me this.......... ( & ANYONE ELSE WHO THINKS THEY HAVE THE ANSWER)

If the so-called powers that be want to reduce the population by a vast amount in whatever way they choose either by swine, fluoride or by other methods, Why on earth would a powerful person like Obama who is supposedly controlled like a puppet introduce an Anit-Smoking Bill ???

Shouldnt they be giving out free cigarettes to all ?? they're are going to cut out healthcare anyway arnt they, eventually?

Im really starting to think that smoking tobacco has an adverse effect on things like Fluoride and such...... its just not making sense.

hmm??

I worked in pre clinical studies and whether you believe this is entirely up to you as I cannot provide facts from the net on this.

At the time there was a study on the effects of each of these categories and how each one was effected in time...

Smokers who had smoked all there lives and continued to do so

Long term smokers who had smoked for over 5 years and then stopped

People who had never smoked

Guess which ones had a higher cancer rate?

Smokers who had quit.

Good question and thats why.

You will see in time when they ban cigarettes completely, cancer rates will go through the roof.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by grapesofraft

Yes, that's true the Government does run the capitalism... It still falls under the same umbrella. However, I beleive the big corporations who run on capitalism are also the problem, especially when A F'ing PS 3 is outsourced to produce it for 25 cents each in china by exploited underaged citizens, and then they sell it for 400 bucks to gullible americans, do you see what I am getting at?

I dont think a big corporation is necessarily a bad thing. Are there big corporations that abuse the system? Sure. Do they all do it? No

A PS3 is a bad example, because I am pretty sure even at $400 they loose money, which they hope to make up on selling games. I guess there are two things here. One, wouldnt you produce things as cheaply as you could so you could compete in a global economy? Do they force stupid Americans to spend $400 on them?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Are you saying that i may be onto something here?? Its puzzled me for a while. I can understand why trying to find information on the net to validate this would be somewhat difficult.

I will follow my theory a little closer from now on.

Thankyou for that input, i can imagine you may recieve some critism from others on your post, but u get a star from me.

External box thinking, I like it !!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join